Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Rik Mayall

Comments

• Options

Drop dead Fred came out the same time my grandad died his name was Fred

I went to see it and laughed so much it was the tonic I needed to pick me up at a shit time for a teenager

My eldest sons favourite movie as a kid. He would constantly watch it and still be rolling around laughing as if it was the first time he'd seen it. Lost count how many times I ended up sitting there watching it with him.

R.I.P Rick..............
  • Options
    Absolutely shocked and saddened to hear this news...........a true comic genius..........RIP Rik.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I heard this on the news an hour ago.

Rik was my comedy hero in The Young Ones, I absolutely loved him back then.

I'm truly shocked and totally gutted. Brought more than a tear to the eye.

RIP Rik.
  • Options
    I am shocked. RIP Rik
  • Options
    Shocked by the news..RIP Rik
  • Options
    Just got in a the missus has told me the very sad news. Think I've seen and enjoyed everything Rik was in from the start. Most recently Man Down where he absolutely stole the show. Really sad tonight.
  • Options
    So saddened by this. I don't often post on RIP threads, but this one is a shocker.

I know it wasn't received well, but I was a big fan of 'Filthy, Rich and Catflap' too.

RIP Rik Mayall.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Crop rotation in the 14th century was considerably......

RIP

I am reliability informed by an old school friend who knows about these things that it was actually 1172

Great comedy to grow up with
  • Options
    So sad and so young. Devastated by this news. A true comedy genius. R.I.P
  • Options
    terribly sad, RIP Rik
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    RIP Rik so.very sad to hear! Such a great comedy actor will be sadly missed
  • Options
    Genuinely gutted, one of my comedy heroes, Bottom still never fails me, and the ad libbing in the live shows is pure genius.
    RIP Rik
  • Options
    A very funny man left us too early.

There can be few people in Britain under 60, or even older, who haven't laughed at something he did.

RIP Rik.

• Options
    Absolutely awful hearing this news this afternoon. The Young Ones came out as I reached 15/16 and it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. Always loved the episode with Madness playing the guest band slot...

Rick:: to Suggs Do any of you lot know Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard?
    Suggs:: You 'um it, I'll smash your face in.
    Rick:: I'll go sit over there...

Rik went on to play some of the best & my favourite comic characters of the last 30 years.

Rest in Peace Rik...but never stop having some manic fun up there too!
  • Options
    Bugger.
  • Options
    Gonna have to find the dvds of all the bottom episodes and hint hard for fathers day

One of the greats gone and so young.as.well at least the re runs on TV will be quality
  • Options
    PL54 said:

RIP

Just shut up and tell me the answer....
  • Options
    RIP Rik,very sad and shocked to hear this news today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very, very sad - horrible coincidence that this made the news over here on the very same day as Rik's passing...

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80455652/
  • Options
    someone mentioned earlier in this thread about Man Down - i haven't watched the series but saw the Christmas Special and thought it was very funny, so will be planning to catch up with it...however, very sad news indeed. RIP.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Ade Edmonson:

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish b*****d."

RIP

Love this and exactly the sort of attitude I'd hope my mates would take if and when. Pioneer of alternative comedy and an icon from when I grew up. RIP
  • Options
    RIP no age at all terrible.
  • Options
    He is the kind of person who I always thought would be lovely to meet.

In fact, I can actually say I probably would prefer his company than Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop - cleaner of the public toilets in Aberdeen.
  • Options

PL54 said:

RIP

Just shut up and tell me the answer....
    Shut up AND tell you the answer?
  • Options
    I was 16 at the time of the Young Ones and the last time I got sent out of a lesson in school was for calling everyone a fascist in the manner of Rik. Have to say I found Bottom not to my taste but of course it takes someone dying to realise they had a lot of achievements that pass you by. He was brilliant in Blackadder and showed he could do someone differently obnoxious in the New Statesman.
    RIP
  • Options
    This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say: "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say: "Haven't you heard? Rik is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"
  • Options
    Really sad news, must be awful for his family

Rest in peace dude
  • Options
    Watched the Falklands hero and Haloween episodes of Bottom again last night - best laugh I have had in ages. Mayall was at the top of his game in both! I'm still a bit stunned that he has passed away so young.