Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Good University Tips?

Hi my son and me are looking at different Uni's ( providing he gets the grades!) i just wondered if any other lifers had been to Uni ( or their kids / grand kids) what they'd studied , and where , and why they chose that Uni over any others.

Open days start this weekend , ( i don't know if there are any things i should be looking out for)

Reading & Southampton were 2 that he quite fancied , although we do have a list of 10 or so , so are trying to be open minded , although i think he likes the fact or not being so far up north that he can't get too watch Charlton at the weekends, i'm not sure whether that is a good or bad thing! any tips?

Comments

• Options
    Greenwich would be handy for Charlton.
  • Options
    Lots of University guides online (Times et al) and a very good book updated every year that both my sons had when they were choosing - but can't for the life of me remember the title.

In academic terms your son needs to look at university rankings by subject, not necessarily overall - and also likely conditional offer criteria. Other considerations are first year accommodation, social life, sports clubs and so on.

Exciting time for your son!
  • Options
    Southampton has epic nightlife!
  • Options

Choice of subject is obviously the most important thing as he needs to be motivated for three years and hopefully employable at the end, e.g. Peace Studies isn't a great degree.
    Then he needs to decide on a Uni, by considering things like would prefer a campus setting or a big city.
    Look up league tables, e.g. The Times have tables for subjects as well as overall Uni standings. Tables are also available for student satisfaction, which are important as some very prestigious unis don't always deliver quality to the kids.
    Also as many students end up adopting the local team for three years as a second team he needs to think about that, obviously.
    I went to reading and had a good time, because it's university and you'd have to go out of your way to have a bad time. However, I was surprised by the number of public school types I met there and they were pretty annoying. Also it has a reputation as a bit of a weekday university, with lots of people disappearing at weekends. However, it is handy for London, and therefore Charlton.
    My brother went to Southampton and it seemed very good.
  • Options
    I studied Law at Sussex. Then I changed to English Lit after the first year. I wish I listened to the advice that said study what you're interested in, not what you think will make you money. But I didn't. Soon found out that I hated Law and all the toffs on the course, so I changed to English and loved it. "Wasted" a year, but I was pretty wasted for most of that year anyway. Now I'm a creative at an advertising agency and I love it, so if there's one piece of advice I'd give you/your son: choose the right subject, or you'll never finish it.

Sussex seems to have taken a nosedive in the rankings since I left, but it's still a good uni with really good facilities/nightlife. (Though it is probably the most left-wing uni in the country, don't know if you're into that sort of thing).

Living in Brighton was great, and only 40-60 minutes train ride to London. When I was first planning to go to uni I thought living far, far away would be a good idea. In the end I was glad I didn't. It's nice to be able to pop home on the odd weekend if you want to.

I'd also advise to definitely go to a campus university. You don't get the same experience in a City U. Also, live in the cheapest halls of residence. All the expensive ones will be filled with twats.

Don't know if any of that helped, but best of luck
  • Options
    Did Economics at Leeds Uni.
    As already said, the subject should steer you in the right direction.
    And I certainly didn't adopt them as a second team!
  • Options

Hi my son and me are looking at different Uni's ( providing he gets the grades!) i just wondered if any other lifers had been to Uni ( or their kids / grand kids) what they'd studied , and where , and why they chose that Uni over any others.

Open days start this weekend , ( i don't know if there are any things i should be looking out for)

Reading & Southampton were 2 that he quite fancied , although we do have a list of 10 or so , so are trying to be open minded , although i think he likes the fact or not being so far up north that he can't get too watch Charlton at the weekends, i'm not sure whether that is a good or bad thing! any tips?

I went to Kent University so that I could get to most home games. I didn't commute (we lived in Essex at the time) but it was only an hour to get back for games.

For my MBA I went to Sheffield and, even though I got back for all the weekend games, it was a long journey. If I'd gone there for three years I think I might have had to miss a few games. There is just too much going on to be gone all day. Having said that if he missed as few games for three years Charlton will always be there when he gets back.
  • Options
    Things to consider

*cost of living/travel/accomondation, etc - I went to Hull cheap as chips, little bit off the beaten track but not too much, meant the odd trip to Leeds to see bands, and made following Charlton at home at least more than a little tricky
    *male female ratio - I ended up in Stafford Poly through clearing, mf ratio of 6-1, although my course was 1-1, not good
    *distance - can be good can be bad, far enough to untie those apron strings, too far and its a real trauma getting to and fro, depends on how independent you are, good character building stuff tho
    *course - aim for the top 6 in the topic of your choice, Hull was top 6 in Europe due to some EU research they'd done, and altho that wasn't my main topic it meant some bragging rights
    *local football team..?

:)
  • Options
    Step Daughter went to Hull to do Politics and European Relations left with a Desmond and loved every minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tell him to go and live in Scotland.
  • Options

Really worry about the value of Uni for youngsters these days given the three years they spend there and the huge debt they (or you) incur unless they are studying something vocational or are at one of the top ten venues.

Many of my friend's kids graduated and then just went back to their holiday jobs in bars and shops full time. Great for customer service at PC World and Wetherspoons but not always great careers after three years of study.

Both little Grumpys are in London. It's expensive but easy for the Valley and they have loved living in the big city.

Have you considered just giving him £30K in cash and an airline ticket?
  • Options
    I'm visiting reading on saturday. Open day with eldest daughter. I'll post thoughts when i return.
  • Options
    I studied Zoology at Nottingham Uni and did my master's in Animal Behaviour at Exeter Uni. Just about to start working at Sheffield uni.

As others have said, the subject will somewhat dictate which universities he can chose.

I very much enjoyed my time at both universities, although there is quite a big difference between studying for a master's and an undergraduate degree. Nottingham was great for nightlife, and it is a big student city, so always lots going on. At Exeter I felt much more a part of the community due to it being a bit smaller and it all being close together.

I chose Exeter for my master's as it is one of the best places to study animal behaviour so it was a fairly straight forward choice, even though I had to reject some other offers for master's degrees in order to wait to get a place at Exeter the following year.

Choosing a place to study for undergraduate was quite a bit harder for many reasons. You are leaving home for the first time, and there is the whole excitement of getting away and having a great time at uni, that it is very easy to forget to concentrate on what you are actually going there for. I was swayed by simple things such as the weather, which halls of residence I was shown, which people you happened to talk to on the open day - all things that really wouldn't play a part in my future university life. In hindsight I would might have chosen Bath over Nottingham, simply because Bath seemed geared up to help you gain a career after you finished - years in industry/at another university/abroad. I found Nottingham didn't offer me any advice for life after university and what to do in order to be more appealing to employers, this was left entirely to my own devices. Even when I asked Nottingham for help to find a year abroad/year in industry I was told I would have to do it all on my own (NB this is not true of all departments at Nottingham, some of my friends took years in industry that were organised by their schools).

After seeing how much easier it is for someone to get a job after having a year in industry etc. compared to those with just the degree (obviously you can see why :) ) I would say it is very important to find out about what sort of career development the universities offer, how they are going to help your son come out of uni with more than just a piece of paper.

Other things to think about: Sporting facilities, student accommodation, if your son is quite clued up about what he wants to study then you can look at the modules each university offers. Transport links. Cost of living (up north/out of London is quite a bit cheaper, so less debt?).

If I remember correctly, I didn't chose Southampton because it was grey and miserable, and all of the students I spoke to were socially inept. I lived in Reading a few years back (not as a student) and absolutely loved it - train to London in just over 20 minutes, so easy access to Charlton.

with regards to @razil's ratio comment - My animal behaviour course at Exeter was about 10:1 female to male, and most of the uni seemed to be that way... definitely a selling point.

I seem to have written an essay, i'll stop there...
  • Options
    Tell him to look at Uni's abroad - probably will work out cheaper!
  • Options
    I went to St Mary's in Twickenham. Lovely campus, not to big so you actually get to know lots of people, really helpful staff in student services etc.
    3 miles from Kingston and Richmond. Lovely part of London. I'm from Essex so was just far enough to keep me away from everyone and be left alone, but close enough that i could get help from family etc if I needed it (illness in my second year).
    Train from Twickenham takes 25mins into waterloo and then about 35mins to Charlton. Location also means good to get into London for work placements etc.

Biggest advice - get a job as soon as possible. Try the Student's Union bar as first port of call.
    Do some work experience wherever as well.

To who ever said about the debt and working in a bar/same summer job after graduating - it takes time to get your career moving in the right direction and you don't generally walk out of uni and get your dream job straight away. I was a bar and restaurant manager for 5 months and then worked for DFS for 6 months before I got to do the thing I really wanted to do.

Also the debt thing - it doesn't count against a mortgage and is taken like an extra tax - you don't ether money after so you don't miss it. You as patents also shouldn't put yourself under economic strain - there are more than enough bursaries and access funds, as well as part time jobs to make uni life possible without the bank of mum and dad.
  • Options
    Almost went to Southampton, good uni. In Bournemouth now instead, would recommend it/.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Put lots of effort into choosing courses, locations, city vs campus, m/f ratios etc etc

And then go to Loughborough
  • Options
    Just finished my first year at Southampton and loved it! It has the right balance of being one of the better Universities whilst having a great nightlife. Also, as its one of the russell group unis, they have ties with a lot of companies so it's easier then most to get a job (providing you get a decent degree).

You will have a good time wherever you go but will definitely have more fun being on a campus uni in a decent sized city.

If you have any questions about the place, just ask.
  • Options

Really worry about the value of Uni for youngsters these days given the three years they spend there and the huge debt they (or you) incur unless they are studying something vocational or are at one of the top ten venues.

Many of my friend's kids graduated and then just went back to their holiday jobs in bars and shops full time. Great for customer service at PC World and Wetherspoons but not always great careers after three years of study.

Both little Grumpys are in London. It's expensive but easy for the Valley and they have loved living in the big city.

I couldn't agree more. My son had a place at Westminster (dont think thats anything to write home about) but he chose work over the debt and the chance of getting/not getting a job.
    He hasn't looked back since. He is the only one in his office who has no degree but he's earning the same money as the ones that have and my son is the youngest there by about 6 years.

I wont knock anyone who wants to go down the higher education route but for me there must be something real at the end of it not just doing it to pass 3 years and end up doing a job a 16 year old with half a brain could do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at Southampton for 4 years and had an amazing time. Great uni with a good reputation, perfect balance between campus and city and far enough from home for independence without being too pricey to get home. If you have any Southampton specific questions then happy to help
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice & comments people , just a bit of a daft question for now , are a lot of these Uni's in the middle of nowhere , or can you park outside on the streets, when visiting on Open Days , Reading springs to mind , as thats the first one due a visit.

I have no idea of the scale of these places , i think i'm down to park on site when we arrive , but it will be sods law we get there and they say we haven't got a parking space!

Are things quite close on Site to walk between , when lined up for different talks on an open day?

I get the comment people make about doing something that you're really going to enjoy , my son wants to take something with a career in finance , he's taking Maths , Physics , Economics & Geography at A Level.
    University wasn't really an option in my family, when i asked my dad about going when i was a kid , he said it was for Bankers & Politicians so i started full time work at 16( i think 5% of the population went at that time , its now about 25%) so i know some of my questions sounds a bit daft too people that may take it for granted and the 'norm'.
  • Options
    If he has any friends/family at uni's he is interested in tell him to go and spend a night with them. Every university open day tells you the same thing: "the uni is fantastic, the course is fantastic, the nightlife is fantastic." Actually let him go and experience the place without someone ramming how great it is down his throat every 5 seconds.

Also let him get on the train and look around the place. He's the one that will be living there for 3 years, not you, at the end of the day at 17/18 these are the type of decisions he should be making for himself.

Also don't be put off if a place has a bad reputation. I ended up going through clearing and ending up in Hull. At the time I was a little upset about the whole thing, now I've got one year left of my four year course and I'm trying to work out how I can save up enough money to do a masters.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Reading is a campus with plenty of parking, plus plenty of off-street which was available for parking on in the early 90s! It's a really nice campus, complete with lake, and all the academic departments are quite close together.
  • Options

I get that, but the latest research on student earnings is that it is still worthwhile going in terms of career earnings for all female students and most male students. male students who go to less prestigious unis or take less well regarded courses probably won't get their money back.

Also, bear in mind that as things are structured now most students will not pay back all of their money. It starts getting collected when they are earning £21k and is written off after 30 years.
  • Options
    Working in Southampton today on part of the student accommodation. Looks nice. Good pubs! Wish I was 10 years younger.
  • Options
    Getting to Charlton games should be the least of these considerations.
  • Options
    Check out abroad, for example Maastricht University in Holland. Teaching in English, low fees which you get back if you're in the top strata of your course. Closer than a lot of British universities, easier to get in with lower grades BUT, not easy to stay in if you don't do any work.
    Look at their website.
  • Options
    Don't go, get a job.
  • Options

Don't go, get a job.

Do go, it's 3 years of state funded fun. Yer you have to pay it back when you're earning enough but who cares. This generation will be working into their 70s to pay back the mess previous generations have left them. Take what you can now.