Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Good University Tips?

13»

Comments

• Options

Well that was an interesting & long day at Reading's open day , me and my son were both a bit nervous as it was our first one to visit , nice weather , students seem very relaxed and friendly , whether it will be the same at each uni i don't know.

My son liked the look of the Henley Business School , digs looked basic , ie not as nice as the brochure , perhaps thats the norm , and a reason to move out after a year , but i think thats all part of it, didn't have time to check out the town , might do if we go back for a 2nd visit.

Looked at the London School Of Economics website , but the wife informs me that the open days already booked up , sounds ultra competative?

If your son is capable enough, he should definately apply for LSE, has a fantastic reputation. Will almost certainly improve his job prospects afterwards too.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Well that was an interesting & long day at Reading's open day , me and my son were both a bit nervous as it was our first one to visit , nice weather , students seem very relaxed and friendly , whether it will be the same at each uni i don't know.

My son liked the look of the Henley Business School , digs looked basic , ie not as nice as the brochure , perhaps thats the norm , and a reason to move out after a year , but i think thats all part of it, didn't have time to check out the town , might do if we go back for a 2nd visit.

Looked at the London School Of Economics website , but the wife informs me that the open days already booked up , sounds ultra competative?

At the Open Day as well. Agree with comments about the accommodation. The brochure picture showed a lovely spacious room but the reality were tiny little cells. Communal rooms (kitchens) were also small for the number of students sharing the space. En suites were also a bit of a con as those rooms were even smaller. The location of the block we visited was some distance from the lecture rooms. Also found the layout of the site a bit haphazard.

They also admitted admin problems with registration for the open day (maybe not as organised as they would like us to think). For me these are relatively small issues. The lecturers impressed and they seemed to offer, Ancient History wise, everything my daughter was looking for. However on this first visit she could not connect with the place and couldn't imagine spending three years living / studying at the Uni. Winchester remains the favourite.
  • Options
    MIA and johnny73 My son was having his 19th birthday there yesterday, so any drunk students early in the day, blame him:)

He is studying Ancient History and Archeology there and loves it, especially the Archeology part, although this may change when he has two weeks at Silchester in the trenches. I understand that Reading is 4th in the Uni list for ancient history, behind Oxbridge and York and the Lecturers there are excellent.

One tip if you do choose Reading re accommodation. There is a two week period when you can choose your accommodation and I strongly recommend you get in early. My son missed his choice and we ended up with a more expensive place. Reading is expensive. Bank of Dad will be paying £430 every month for the next two years for housing accommodation and this appears to be the norm. I say expensive as my eldest has just finished at Cambridge and the accommodation there was very very cheap by comparison.