Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Wood medical at Rotherham (p4 - gone)

Comments

• Options

No way can we go into the season with Lennon and Gomez plus two senior cb's

I wouldn't be worried apart from no news of Gomes signing. Steep learning curve but quality will prevail.
  • Options

No way can we go into the season with Lennon and Gomez plus two senior cb's

I wouldn't be worried apart from no news of Gomes signing. Steep learning curve but quality will prevail.
    17 is too young to start as a cb in the champ. Imo.
  • Options
    I liked Woody, good cover but anyone with pace near him and he was in trouble. Good battler though.

Very interesting to see who is coming in.
  • Options
    bloody long medical whats wrong with him
  • Options
    Bloody hell, the World Cup was doing a great job of distracting me from the debacle going on at Charlton!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Bloody hell, the World Cup was doing a great job of distracting me from the debacle going on at Charlton!

What debacle is this ? Have I missed something ?

• Options
    Richard Wood is toilet, would rather give a youngster a chance like Joe Gomez
  • Options

A 17 year old CB playing against some very lethal strikers, his confidence could take a battering before he's even 18. Needs a lot more time, it's playing with his future in the game, needs a loan spell like Popey first.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

What debacle is this ? Have I missed something ?

The one that involves letting our best players' contracts run down to nothing, selling the best of those that do have contracts, making bizarre managerial appointments every five minutes, and an owner who has a network of five clubs with a bunch of pony players swapping between them every now and then.

That one.

I know that forums are about people having their say and expressing their opinions.....but aren't all the anti-RD postings creeping into every thread a little tiresome now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If Wood is toilet then sum up Docherty's spell with us.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

If Wood is toilet then sum up Docherty's spell with us.
    A hole in the floor used a toliet
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I call bullshit on this one. if Wood had had a medical it would be all over the news.
  • Options
    South London Press says Wood did not trigger the extension in his contract.
  • Options
    I lost count of the number of goals Wood was at fault for last season. If Rotherham buy him and he is the quality of player they are after then good, they will take one of the three relegation slots. He always gave 100% so for that i have nothing against the bloke! just his 100% is League One standard.

I just hope this does not lead to Gomez starting, 17 is too young for the Champ no matter how good he is, maybe some bench appearances and league cup games but if he is one of our main 3 it is too early in his development.
  • Options

South London Press says Wood did not trigger the extension in his contract.

Cause Roly does not want him.
  • Options

A 17 year old CB playing against some very lethal strikers, his confidence could take a battering before he's even 18. Needs a lot more time, it's playing with his future in the game, needs a loan spell like Popey first.
    normally I would agree with you, however JG is 'different gravy' he is pure class and makes it look easy, most exciting player I have watched in a long time

• Options
    edited June 2014
    madadd said:

normally I would agree with you, however JG is 'different gravy' he is pure class and makes it look easy, most exciting player I have watched in a long time

Yes but he has not made marking Championship strikers look easy .. hes made 16-18 year old strikers look easy..

Gomez is FAR to young to be starting in championship he is to learn at the moment and would be dominated by someone like Yann Kermorgant.

I admire your belief in our young players and love the fact your backing him but honestly .. he is no where near ready yet

A nice loan to a league 2 club will do him very well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has Joe signed a pro contract with Charlton yet?
  • Options
    madadd said:

Wasn't Rufus 17 when he broke into the first team?

If he's good enough, he's old enough!
  • Options
    If you are good enough you are old enough, sticking out on loan would
    not help in fact he might go backwards.
  • Options

madadd said:

Wasn't Rufus 17 when he broke into the first team?

If he's good enough, he's old enough!

• Options

If you are good enough you are old enough, sticking out on loan would
    not help in fact he might go backwards.

How on earth would putting him out on loan to gain vital experience at a competitive level make his development go backwards?

• Options
    If Gomez is good enough then he should play some games. The key would be to get the right man alongside him. Gomez doesn't have to play every week but he shouldn't be hidden away either.

There have been examples before of young players playing at the back;

Tommy Caton played for Manchester City in Division 1 when he was very young.

Bobby Moore was 17 when he made his debut.

Last season Hamburg played a 17yr old centre-back (Jonathan Tah) and he did really well before they gave him a rest.

It's not really about age....it's about talent, strength and the ability to learn quickly. If a young player has all of those attributes then he should be seriously considered.
  • Options
    Paul Elliott was a regular starter for Charlton at 17
  • Options
    Gomez getting some first team action this season would certainly be an incentive to sign a new contract
    Wood was a fine squad player but hardly irreplaceable
  • Options

Paul Elliott was a regular starter for Charlton at 17

And Lee Bowyer.

Shaun Newton also.

But all a long time ago (you can throw in Billy Bonds, Mike Bailey, Keith Peacock, Bob Curtis and Paul Went).

• Options
    And Peter Reeves.