Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winning the lottery - what would you do?

Was just reading an article about a lad who won a million on the lottery. Jacked his job and went travelling.

So It got me thinking:

What would be the first thing you'd do?
First thing you'd buy
Who would you tell
Would you jack your job
Would you go public?

Comments

• I'd probably do exactly that. Quit on the spot and travel for a year, come back, build a house. As for telling people? Tough one. Probably just family and very close friends...and the Mrs of course! Definitely wouldn't go public. Never sure why people do. I'd also set up my own business eventually.
  • What would be the first thing you'd do? - Check the numbers again to make sure

First thing you'd buy - Pay the mortgage off

Who would you tell - Nobody ideally. In reality the wife I suppose.

Would you jack your job - Try and take a long holiday and decide then

Would you go public? - No
  • What would be the first thing you'd do-Make sure I read the ticket properly
    First thing you'd buy-A House
    Who would you tell-Close Family
    Would you jack your job-YES
    Would you go public?-not if I could help it
  • What would be the first thing you'd do-Get on the phone to camelot
    First thing you'd buy-A crate of lager
    Who would you tell-no one
    Would you jack your job-Oh yes!
    Would you go public?-nope
  • What would be the first thing you'd do? Check the numbers
    First thing you'd buy? probably a table at a club and go a bit mental for a night
    Who would you tell? close family
    Would you jack your job? yes
    Would you go public? Not if i can help it

• edited June 2014
    If we were talking £1M:

What would be the first thing you'd do? Pass out probably!
    First thing you'd buy. A holiday
    Who would you tell. Family and friends
    Would you jack your job no
    Would you go public: no

If it was Euros £100m
    What would be the first thing you'd do? Create a syndicate document for my family to join the winnings tax free.
    First thing you'd buy. A holiday followed by a property empire
    Who would you tell. Everyone I know as one of the first things I would do is charter a plane and fly them to a five star resort for a two week, everything is on me holiday.
    Would you jack your job. I wouldn't quit but I would never go back again and see how long it tok them to work out I was no longer there (I have the ability to work from home so would not be missed immediately!).
    Would you go public? Would choose not to but would probably be easily found living it up if the press were interested!

• Cocaine and brasses

Then I'd probably go put the lottery on
  • one million scratch cards and double that shit
  • Sponsored links:

• Buy Charlton, knock it down, and build flats on it.
  • Buy Millwall and shut them down
  • Buy Iceland and eat all their Nobbly Bobbly's.
  • Depends on the amount. Let's say it's above 10m.
    I would spend the first year traveling first class to every major sporting event so jan would be Aussie Tennis Feb Super Bowl, March F1, April Masters.....

Then I would build up a property empire and look at investment opportunities - so that would become my job.

I wouldn't tell anyone but immediate family.
  • Buy Iceland and eat all their Nobbly Bobbly's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGR0OuYH8-Q
  • Go back to bed.
  • I would do the only sensible thing, which is to go away with the Guvnor and think about it before I did anything rash.
  • edited June 2014
    Depends how much it was, but basically buy a lovely house on the seafront somewhere and go on as many holidays are possible with a toddler in tow.
  • I'd just stick it in the bank with my other millions.............
  • Jack in my job and bugger off to Madagascar for a few months. I’d then launch and fund one of their local conservation projects here. While doing my best Jordan Belfort impressions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Prize per winner for matching all 6 balls on the lottery on Sat .... £389,998

5 and the bonus ball ... £11,612

5 numbers ... £164

4 numbers ... £28

Couldn't retire on that
  • Depends how much it was, but basically buy a lovely house on the seafront somewhere and go on as many holidays are possible with a toddler in tow.

I have to say that I think buying a toddler is a bit of a strange first move after winning the lottery.
  • As others have said it depends on the amount

What would be the first thing you'd do? - check, check and triple check the numbers
    First thing you'd buy - a first class flight to somewhere warm and quiet. I'd then have a long think of what to do with the rest
    Who would you tell - family and close friends
    Would you jack your job - depends on the amount but yes (after carefully negotiating my 3 month notice period!)
    Would you go public? - no
  • edited June 2014
    I think the original comment was if you had just won £1m.
  • Addicted said:

Prize per winner for matching all 6 balls on the lottery on Sat .... £389,998

5 and the bonus ball ... £11,612

5 numbers ... £164

4 numbers ... £28

Couldn't retire on that

14 million to one….and a prize of £389,998

Complete rip off.
  • I think the original comment was if you had just won £1m.

In that case the only thing i'd do differently is not jack in the job unfortunately
  • Its quite simple for me.

Depending on the amount, I'd either chuck the job in or go part-time so I could at the bare minimum have my daughter 3.5 days a week rather than the every other weekend that I have to put up with at present.
  • edited June 2014
    a million would be enough for me & the family to leave this shite hole of a country.

wouldn't go public.

wouldn't tell other members of the family, after all what have they ever done for me?
  • Depends how much it was, but basically buy a lovely house on the seafront somewhere and go on as many holidays are possible with a toddler in tow.

I have to say that I think buying a toddler is a bit of a strange first move after winning the lottery.
    And then not allowing it in the car.....!

• First thing I'd do would be buy Big Bob his OWN grey suit !