Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best 5 Charlton Centrebacks

124»

Comments

• Options
    In date order, rather than any ranking:

Went - an absolute beast, with thighs like tree trunks.. A pity he missed a chunk of the 68/69 season with injury

Elliot - heartbreaking to lose him to Luton for 95K

Shirtliff - one of Lennie's greatest signings

Pates - a very cultured and under-rated central defender

Rufus - our best defender in the last 25 years
  • Options
    Simon Webster was a towering force: I recall him heading away all of West Ham's punts and crosses at a top-tier game at Upton Park in 1992. We won 1-0 (Pardew), and West Ham finished second under champions Newcastle. Webster must have impressed the West Ham manager that day, because they bought him at the end of the season.
  • Options

Simon Webster was a towering force: I recall him heading away all of West Ham's punts and crosses at a top-tier game at Upton Park in 1992. We won 1-0 (Pardew), and West Ham finished second under champions Newcastle. Webster must have impressed the West Ham manager that day, because they bought him at the end of the season.

...no sooner had he joined them than Dicks (I think) effectively ended his career by crocking him in training. Skipper Webbo - a towering force indeed and a great bloke.
  • Options
    Costa
    Rufus
    Pates
    Caton
    Elliott
  • Options
    Diawara was one of the best to play for us - couple of bad games early on but impressive after that.
  • Options
    yer know, looking at all the inspired suggestions for best centre backs over the years, we really have featured some truly top performers!!! for me, the definitive defender memory rekindled by this thread : paul went - a giant presence!
  • Options
    I am loving the memories of Webbo, if he isn't one of our best 5 central defenders, he is certainly one of our best 5 captains.
  • Options
    Not in order....
    Brown
    Costa
    Perry
    Rufus
    Youds

Fish just misses out
  • Options
    Costa
    Rufus
    Brown
    Shipperley
    Went
  • Options
    Rufus
    Fish
    Webster
    Thompson
    Shirtliff

All would die for the cause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shirtliff
    Rufus
    Youds
    Fish
    Costa
  • Options
    Rufus
    Shirtliff
    Perry
    Costa
    Fish

Best emergency centre back: Paul Mortimer
  • Options
    Anybody remember Arthur Horsfield. I think he never missed a game in three seasons, two up front, and then when his legs started to go he had a season at centre half, or am I remembering it all wrong?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Anybody remember Arthur Horsfield. I think he never missed a game in three seasons, two up front, and then when his legs started to go he had a season at centre half, or am I remembering it all wrong?

That's quite correct. Good old King Arthur: scored 29 goals in his first season, 20 in the second, and 12 in the third while playing centre-half.

• Options

seth plum said:

That's quite correct. Good old King Arthur: scored 29 goals in his first season, 20 in the second, and 12 in the third while playing centre-half.

Interesting , I often thought that part of the value that Leaburn, Bartlett and Kermorgant gave to the team was how they did their defensive duties. Could they have played at centre back for a whole match though? Has the game changed so much that these sorts of arrangements would not be viable today?

Ronnie Moore also made a similar move in 1984/85 and I think as a Charlton player he performed better in that position than up front.

• Options
    Richard J said:

seth plum said:

Interesting , I often thought that part of the value that Leaburn, Bartlett and Kermorgant gave to the team was how they did their defensive duties. Could they have played at centre back for a whole match though? Has the game changed so much that these sorts of arrangements would not be viable today?

Ronnie Moore also made a similar move in 1984/85 and I think as a Charlton player he performed better in that position than up front.

I suppose a few unusually gifted players are adaptable; who was the guy at Oldham about 30 years ago who excelled up front and in defence?

I'm not impressed that when Cousins is moved about twenty yards right of his 'natural' position, he plays badly.

• Options
    Been watching since the early 90's, favourite 5 would have to be:

1. Rufus
    2. Costa
    3. Youds
    4. Fish
    5. Morrison

Can't believe Phil Chapple hasn't had a mention anywhere (that I've seen), one of my earliest memories is his knees pumping up and down when he was in full flow!
  • Options

Richard J said:

seth plum said:

I suppose a few unusually gifted players are adaptable; who was the guy at Oldham about 30 years ago who excelled up front and in defence?

I'm not impressed that when Cousins is moved about twenty yards right of his 'natural' position, he plays badly.

Paul Warhurst
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Richard J said:

seth plum said:

Paul Warhurst
    Correct.

• Options

Simonsen said:

Richard J said:

seth plum said:

Paul Warhurst
    Correct.

He looked better up front to me but was ok at the back. Also had a bit of a spell at Crystal Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    who was the most fun, madly charging upfield, lawrie madden or phil chapple, oh, such memories!
  • Options
    Peter Reeves
    Paul Elliott
    Jorge Costa
    Mark Fish
    Richard Rufus
  • Options
    costa, rufus (best ever), fish, herman h (when at centre)
  • Options
    I've broadened this a bit. Here are my five favourite goals scored by Charlton centre halves:-

Richard Rufus in the play-off final
    Jon Fortune in the 2-2 draw against "we sent the palace down"
    Dave Shipperley in a 2-0 win at The Den in the 70s
    The Don in the last minute in a 2-1 win against Palace in the early 80s
    Peter Shirtliff's second in the play-off win against Leeds
  • Options

Richard J said:

seth plum said:

chris sutton springs to mind.

at Charlton, i agree with the @PeakieRocket‌, Morts had some great games at CH