Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top Five ...... solo music artists .

Comments

• Options
    i am surprised to see how many times elliott smith has received a mention, had no idea that he had such a diverse following...but oh my, what a way to top yourself....
  • Options
    Stevie Wonder
    David Bowie
    Elton John
    George Benson
    Michael Jackson
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    To hard to pick a top 5
    I seperated them into Male and Female, still my answers would probably be different if I was asked again next week

MALE
    Eminem
    Justin Timberlake
    Will Smith
    Enrique Iglesias
    R Kelly

FEMALE
    Angelika Vee
    Avril Lavigne
    Natasha Bedingfield
    Adele
    Kelly Clarkson
  • Options

To hard to pick a top 5
    I seperated them into Male and Female, still my answers would probably be different if I was asked again next week

MALE
    Eminem
    Justin Timberlake
    Will Smith
    Enrique Iglesias
    R Kelly

FEMALE
    Angelika Vee
    Avril Lavigne
    Natasha Bedingfield
    Adele
    Kelly Clarkson

Best list so far, except I'd put Justin timber lake along with Justin beiber in my worse five list, probably Natasha bedingfield, don't know who angelika vee is?...
  • Options

To hard to pick a top 5

MALE
    Eminem
    Justin Timberlake
    Will Smith
    Enrique Iglesias
    R Kelly

FEMALE
    Angelika Vee
    Avril Lavigne
    Natasha Bedingfield
    Adele
    Kelly Clarkson

Best list so far, except I'd put Justin timber lake along with Justin beiber in my worse five list, probably Natasha bedingfield, don't know who angelika vee is?...
    Look her up on Youtube she is amazing
    she mainly does covers:
    Unconditionally Burn and La La La, probably her best of the covers,

But she has done a couple of her own Language of Love is one of the best songs I have ever heard
  • Options
    Paulie is the best wind up since Nathan.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Paulie is the best wind up since Nathan.

Eminem best selling hip hop artist of all time and one of the most successful soloists ever, deserves a mention as does adele and Kelly clarkson for a contemporary list at least, I wouldn't say avril was up there but I enjoy her music, r Kelly is not exactly terrible. Will smith soloist? Really? Ok that may be a wind up.
  • Options
    Yeah Eminem's in my list too. I wasn't giving Paulie that title for this post alone, but the more he posts, the more I'm convinced that he's not for real.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    JaShea99 said:

Yeah Eminem's in my list too. I wasn't giving Paulie that title for this post alone, but the more he posts, the more I'm convinced that he's not for real.

If he is, he suffers from before-my-time-itis...

• Options
    Elvis Presley
    Meatloaf
    Neil Diamond
    Adam Ant
    Freddie Mercury

Elvis once said that Roy Orbison was the best voice he had ever heard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Elvis Presley
    Meatloaf
    Neil Diamond
    Adam Ant
    Freddie Mercury

Elvis once said that Roy Orbison was the best voice he had ever heard.

He was also a big fan of Tom Jones.
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

Todd Rundgren

Paul Weller

Lewis Taylor

Terry Reid

Pharoah Sanders

I can only see maybe Weller getting more than my one vote out of that lot.

wow, corkn' line-up hawksmoor. & pleasantly surprised to see a terry reid appearance in this thread, his "seed of memory" is one my top 10 albums, ahhh terry, soooo unlucky/underrated.
    Just seen this, mate. Seed of Memory is also among my favourite albums. Definitely my favourite Terry Reid album. The consensus is that River is his masterpiece, and I like it a lot, but it's Seed of Memory every time for me. Faith To Arise and Brave Awakening are absolute ace.

I've seen him a couple of times, and despite the fact that he clearly likes one or two light ales, he was fantastic both times. Still got a a great voice.

But like you said, the unluckiest bloke in rock, although he's very good-natured about it. There's that great quote from Robert Plant: 'Terry Reid should've had my life!'

Pharoah Sanders I've seen, I think, three times, and man he can still blow that saxophone; he still does that thing where, through circular breathing, he generates so much air in the instrument that he holds it up and it plays by itself for about 30 seconds!

As for Todd Rundgren. Don't get me started. I've got everything the guy ever recorded, including the Nazz and Utopia. Bootlegs, grey market, everything. I can and do listen to him every day. My absolute musical hero. Seen him loads of times

In fact the only artist I haven't seen in that list is the UK's lost soul genius Lewis Taylor, because he'd already gone mental, announced his 'retirement', took down every clip of himself from youtube and done the best disappearing act since Houdini when I first heard him.

• Options
    Oakster said:

Alex Chilton (& Chris Bell for I am the Cosmos)
    Lee Hazlewood (was lucky to see him live before he died)
    George Jones (pure & 'proper" country during the 50s/60s)
    Laura Cantrell (best contemporary female country singer in my book)
    Sandy Denny (for North Star Grassman alone)

Listen to these artists regularly - also love a bit of Messrs, Lowe/Young/Dylan etc but they've got enough vites

edit - just realised I missed out Gram Parsons - (sorry Laura you've been bumped)...arghhh EmmyLou Harris.....oh well

Good call on the Big Star connections.

• Options
    David Sylvian
    Christian Fennesz
    David Sylvian
    Steve Jensen
    Stephen Mattieu

Can I put more Sylvians please?
  • Options
    Daryl Hall
    van Morrison
    Marvin Gaye
    Don Henley
    Chrissie Hynde
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Oakster said:

Listen to these artists regularly - also love a bit of Messrs, Lowe/Young/Dylan etc but they've got enough vites

edit - just realised I missed out Gram Parsons - (sorry Laura you've been bumped)...arghhh EmmyLou Harris.....oh well

when the recent "big star" doc came out, saw jody stephens and the filmmakers host a q&a after it's showing, then a makeshift big star/jody stephens band did 3 songs, triff night!!!
  • Options
    My mate, who's in the band 14 Iced Bears, is a huge Big Star fan. Imagine his surprise when he went to see said doc and he's in the first scene!
  • Options
    ashley said:

Daryl Hall
    van Morrison
    Marvin Gaye
    Don Henley
    Chrissie Hynde

Glad someone selected Daryl Hall. Going to see Hall & Oates in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    I do like early Hall & Oates, but then that's because I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan. He produced their album War Babies. Apparently, one sure-fire way to piss off Daryl Hall for many years was to say War Babies sounds like a Todd Rundgren album. But then apart from producing and engineering it, Rundgren also drafted in members of his band Utopia, sang back vocals and handled the lead guitar parts.

Here's Rundgren and Daryl Hall in the web show Live At Daryl's House, sing Rundgren's song Sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dlmlNgrXSQ

• Options

very quickly, off the top of my (too many drugs in the past) head, here is my disordered top 5 soloists;

billy bragg
    townes van zandt
    jules shear
    richard buckner
    van morrison (though not so much after veedon fleece)
    burial
    sandy denny
    terry reid
    warren zevon
    morrissey
    ryan adams
    bob marley
    rickie lee jones
    neil young
    pj harvey
    krishna das
    roky erickson
    damien rice
    nils lofgren
    daniel lanois
    jackson browne
    zbigniew preisner
    nick cave
    eno
    john martyn
    mary margaret o'hara
    jonathan richman
    moby
    wah!
    david bowie
    sinead o'connor
    joe frank
    gram parsons
    john lennon
    bob dyland so many more....

It would've been easier to list the solo artists you don't like.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a lot of Todd rundgren stuff in my collection : wizard ,true star , something anything ,runt etc etc and would have had him in that list too save for the fact that the choice was limited to five. The song : you're much too soon on the War Baies record with todd on backing vocals is one of my faves. But He is also rumoured to be a massive pain in the arse and general ego maniac .he pretty much cocked up the production of xtc record Skylarking remedied only by a recent release and re master and pretty much came to blows with Andy Partridge over his domineering approach . So far as Daryl Hall is concerned his white soul pipes while now on the wain were totally untouchable in my view.his Sacred songs collaboration with Robert Fripp is also never too far towards the back of my play list. I will also be at that H and O show at Hammersmith on 11/7 .hope that you will enjoy it as much as I intend to.proper musicians playing songs that stand the test of time.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

My mate, who's in the band 14 Iced Bears, is a huge Big Star fan. Imagine his surprise when he went to see said doc and he's in the first scene!

Ha 14 Iced Bears!! Remember them well, saw them so many times back in the days of C86 - Rob still going strong I see - who is your mate!?
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

Oakster said:

when the recent "big star" doc came out, saw jody stephens and the filmmakers host a q&a after it's showing, then a makeshift big star/jody stephens band did 3 songs, triff night!!!
    There is, for any other guitarist/hackers a really good series of Big Star tutorials on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ4IX09blAS5XJPrUI6e6yQ
  • Options
    I saw Big Star a few years ago at Sheppards Bush with Robyn Hitchcock supporting. What a great night.
  • Options
    Duane Eddy
    Van Morrison
    Joni Mitchell
    Neil Young
    Debbie Harry
  • Options

Paul Young - check out his band Los Pacaminos - great night out with lots of talented musicians
    James Morrison
    Neil Young
    James Taylor
    Richard Hawley

Paul Young used to front a really fun band Q-tips before he got famous. Astorria at Victoria.

• Options
    Colin Hindmarsh
    Sinatra
    Elvis Costello
    Adele
    Amy McDonald
    Robbie Williams
    Mary Coughlan
    Amy Winehouse
    Tom Robinson
    Al Green
    Love to say Weller but his solo stuff is egotistical.
    Sorry can"t pick 5 as tastes fly with the wind.

• Options
    Already picked my 5 but an honourable mention to John Waite. I was going through my iPod earlier and forgot how much I love his stuff.
  • Options
    Can't believe none of us have said this astonishingly talented man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXVDWsSm38
  • Options
    On the subject of honourable mentions Im laughing at the songs of Ivor Cutler this morning, bit of a genius.