Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

shirt numbers

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    se9addick said:

Ross said:

A number is a number. They don't mean anything anymore (although Gallas as 10 when he was a defender, Bouhlarouz as 9 as a defender and Clint Dempsey as number 2 do look strange).

In Italy and many other foreign countries it is now commonplace to see players wearing 70/80/90 numbers, like in American sports.

However, I do agree that shirt numbers should be the following:

1 - gk
    2 - rb
    3 - lb
    5 - cb
    6 - cb
    7 - rw
    4 - cm
    8 - cm
    11 - lw
    9 - st
    10 - st

Why has 4 become common place for a CM ? Surely 4 & 5 should be CB and 6 & 8 CM ?

As thai malaysia says, it was originally:
    1 GK
    2 RB
    3 LB
    4 RH
    5 CH
    6 LH
    7 OR
    8 IR
    9 CF
    10 IL
    11 OL

This evolved to a formation something like the following, with the players set out in roughly a 2-1-2-2-3 kind of formation i.e:

-----1-----
    2---------3
    -----4-----
    ---5---6---
    --8----10--
    7----9---11

So the 8 and 10 kind of dropped back while the 4 moved behind the 5 and 6.

As formations developed, the 'back 4' came in to play, so the 4 moved forward while 5 and 6 moved back, while further up field, the need for 2 men up front meant the number 10 moved forward, while the 8 moved more central and 7 & 11 moved back to help plug the hole caused by this move. i.e:

-----1-----
    2---------3
    ---5---6---
    -----4-----
    7----8---11
    ---9---10--

When using a generic flat 4-4-2, it simplifies to:

-----1-----
    2--5---6--3
    7--8---4-11
    ---9--10---

With, of course, the various tweaks (i.e. 4=DM, 8=AM) and adjustments for diamond formations, christmas trees etc, but this is essentially how it's been for a while now.

• Options

se9addick said:

Ross said:

A number is a number. They don't mean anything anymore (although Gallas as 10 when he was a defender, Bouhlarouz as 9 as a defender and Clint Dempsey as number 2 do look strange).

In Italy and many other foreign countries it is now commonplace to see players wearing 70/80/90 numbers, like in American sports.

However, I do agree that shirt numbers should be the following:

1 - gk
    2 - rb
    3 - lb
    5 - cb
    6 - cb
    7 - rw
    4 - cm
    8 - cm
    11 - lw
    9 - st
    10 - st

Why has 4 become common place for a CM ? Surely 4 & 5 should be CB and 6 & 8 CM ?

As thai malaysia says, it was originally:
    1 GK
    2 RB
    3 LB
    4 RH
    5 CH
    6 LH
    7 OR
    8 IR
    9 CF
    10 IL
    11 OL

This evolved to a formation something like the following, with the players set out in roughly a 2-1-2-2-3 kind of formation i.e:

-----1-----
    2---------3
    -----4-----
    ---5---6---
    --8----10--
    7----9---11

So the 8 and 10 kind of dropped back while the 4 moved behind the 5 and 6.

As formations developed, the 'back 4' came in to play, so the 4 moved forward while 5 and 6 moved back, while further up field, the need for 2 men up front meant the number 10 moved forward, while the 8 moved more central and 7 & 11 moved back to help plug the hole caused by this move. i.e:

-----1-----
    2---------3
    ---5---6---
    -----4-----
    7----8---11
    ---9---10--

When using a generic flat 4-4-2, it simplifies to:

-----1-----
    2--5---6--3
    7--8---4-11
    ---9--10---

With, of course, the various tweaks (i.e. 4=DM, 8=AM) and adjustments for diamond formations, christmas trees etc, but this is essentially how it's been for a while now.

You've mde my day!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    When the continentals (Italians especially) introduced the back four defence, 2 was the the RB, 3 and 4 (often the sweeper) were the two CBs and the LB was 5 fact!
    Edit; when squad numbers were first made compulsory Stuart (sweaty) Balmer (FB or CB) in alphabetical order used to wear number 1 and Bob Bolder 2.
  • Options
    for fukc sake,all these stupid numbers being lorded about,we know who our players are, does it really matter.No wonder other clubs call us anoraks,rant over
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    doronron said:

for fukc sake,all these stupid numbers being lorded about,we know who our players are, does it really matter.No wonder other clubs call us anoraks,rant over

Actually with the new additions I'm not so sure everybody does know who all our players are, anyway a little bit of education / history never hurt anybody did it, sticks and stones and all that. I'll get my anorak coat :-0
  • Options
    4 & 5 Were defenders numbers when I was a wee lad, although when I grew to the about 9 and fat (not so wee anymore) then it seemed to change, believe Guillit at Chelsea helped changed that, could be completely wrong as it was quite a while ago.
  • Options
    I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I would appreciate any advice anyone has regarding getting numbers stitched onto shirts.  

For reasons I won't go into, I need to get some numbers put on the backs of sports shirts, but they need to be stitched-on fabric material, not the type usually seen on football shirts.  

Does anyone know of somewhere I can get a set done?