Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Enjoying German success!?!?

Surprised how many people are happy to see the Germans win.
Arguably one of our greatest footballing rivals nationally.
It's like watching Palace win again and again as we fail again and again.

Can't ever forget Andres Mullers arrogant smile and pose after that winning pen in Euro 96 or Oliver Khan larging it to the England support during the last game at Wembley, thousands of them singing "your shit and you know you are" and mocking "footballs coming home" in perfect English at Wembley or how they revelled at our capitulation in South Africa or showered us with bottles in Berlin in 08 when we beat them in the friendly.

And talks about the Brazilians being cheats (which they are) - has everyone forgotten Klinsmann and co?

I'm no fan of Brazil but they don't even come close to Germany as rivals. But before someone says it - yes I do have a lot of respect for them, their football culture and what they achieve, but want them to win or enjoy their success? Not in a million years.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    If we played Germany in a competitive game then the rivalry and dislike would return, but I just don't feel it at international level as much as I do at club level.

Once England are out, I just enjoy the football (although Brazil have proper wound me up this tournament)
  • Options
    I don't mind Germany that much, got a couple of friends from there in fact. To me the rivalry is more reminiscent of West Ham to Charlton-as-England; take a step back and realistically, they are the better side and have been pretty consistently for a very long time. Do I enjoy seeing them getting a walloping? Yes I would. But if they manage to beat a 'big' team (and so comprehensively!) then I enjoy that too. For me it's the fact that more than most successful teams in recent memory, they are truly a team in every sense. Look at the goals they scored last night - except for Schurles' second, they were all well worked as a unit to create those chances. I enjoy that much more than seeing one outstanding player (Messi, Neymar, Pirlo to an extent thus far Robben) carrying a team near enough on their own.

England need to follow the German model of play - stop relying on Gerrard, or Rooney, or the latest flavour of the month player to do all the work and play as a team. We don't have the individual talent of some teams, let's stop trying to play as if we do.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Although I see and understand the rivalry with Germany (and have it a little bit) they're like the supposed Palace fans (i.e. Dont really care if they beat us as they're just another team... It is good when we win though) - In terms of International rivalries I see the other Home Nations: Scotland and Wales as our main ones for obvious reasons.

Of course when you look back at the building of Wembley... We could have asked a German or Australian company to build it, because we couldn't swallow our pride for building the Stadium we went and asked the Aussies to do it and it cost twice as much and took twice as long to build.

On the basis of Andres Muller and Oliver Khan you could quite easily add Portugal (Cristiano Ronaldo with his lil wink) in the same breath as Germany.

At the end of the day I know the England / Germany comes from the World Wars and the World Cup Final in 1966 but I've been to Germany far too often on my Holidays, the people are lovely and my own Uncle lives amongst them so just cant find hatred towards them (apart from when we're actually playing them and then I'll find that hatred for any team lol!)
  • Options
    Great team. The Germans are winners ( at Football ) pure and simple. I admire them as a nation more than any other. Apart from playing football how it should be played, the men and woman drink beer, not tarty vodka drinks and stupid shots. Drinking 10 pints and still claiming to be sober still applies in Deutschland, love em.
  • Options
    Dont think they see us as rivals to be honest. We like to think it's a Spurs-Arsenal when in reality its more like Chelsea-Brentford.

Thought they played some great football last night and Brazil showed their lack of steel. Hope they win it.
  • Options
    I guess it depends on how important England is to you. As someone who cares passionately about and follows England then I can't understand it.

I also don't get the "not rivals cos they're light years ahead of us" argument. I still want palace and millwall to lose no matter what their level is in comparison to us.

You're right about Ronaldo and he is the singular reason Portugal are so high up my 'hate' list these days, but he is just one man.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Dont think they see us as rivals to be honest. We like to think it's a Spurs-Arsenal when in reality its more like Chelsea-Brentford.

Thought they played some great football last night and Brazil showed their lack of steel. Hope they win it.

Whilst agreeing the Dutch and Poles might rank higher, after attending a fair few England v Germany games I think to suggest they don't see us as rivals is ludicrous.
  • Options
    Think it is a lesser of 4 evils for me.
  • Options
    Got them in the office sweepstake. Don't really like 'supporting' them but will take the money when they win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All international teams are rivals when we play them. However I have a number of German friends and they are great people and good fun - I would say we are very much alike.
  • Options
    'thousands of them singing "your shit and you know you are" and mocking "footballs coming home" in perfect English at Wembley'

i've always thought that was brilliant , i respect a good pisstake and they certainly did there

I didn't want them to win last night but they were mustard so fairplay

luckily i don't know any Germans /Costa Ricans /Uruguayans or whoever to take the piss out of me unlike palace fans but it doesn't mean anything compared to when the scum pipe up , so our international embarrassment doesn't hurt as much as when Charlton fall behind our local rivals
  • Options

Addicted said:

Whilst agreeing the Dutch and Poles might rank higher, after attending a fair few England v Germany games I think to suggest they don't see us as rivals is ludicrous.
    Remember attending a England v Germany friendly in Berlin a few years ago (one November when we won 2-1 with Mancienne playing I think)... Whilst in the City me and my mate were right amongst these Germans who came over and started talking with us (We didnt speak German they barely (cough!) spoke English) but were lovely blokes.

In the Stadium though there were plastic screens between the fans stopping them from getting to us and at one point this huge German bloke came right over to the England fans and started abusing the hell out of us (before being forcibly ejected) so with all Football matches and teams you'll always get the nutcases who froth at the mouth when they see certain opposition.

Reminds me actually... After the game I remember looking over at the German section and there was this prat with a Palace cap on!!
  • Options

'thousands of them singing "your shit and you know you are" and mocking "footballs coming home" in perfect English at Wembley'

i've always thought that was brilliant , i respect a good pisstake and they certainly did there

I didn't want them to win last night but they were mustard so fairplay

luckily i don't know any Germans /Costa Ricans /Uruguayans or whoever to take the piss out of me unlike palace fans but it doesn't mean anything compared to when the scum pipe up , so our international embarrassment doesn't hurt as much as when Charlton fall behind our local rivals

Agreed - they do have a sense of humour but when your in the ground losing to them and having the piss taken it's not nice to take if you care passionately.

Was more a point to highlight the rivalry between us.
  • Options
    Personally, for me the Germans rank below

Scotland
    Republic of Ireland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland
    Argentina
    France
    Peter Shilton
  • Options
    You missed turkey ;-)
    And I'd take NI out that list. Thought they were diff class at the games in 05.
  • Options
    Would definitely add Turkey to the list
  • Options
    They beat a very ordinary Brazil team, still milking the world sentiment they earned from the great teams of the past. If Brazil were an exciting team, full of skill who produced dazzling football, then I would have cheered them on.

Germany are a better team, the current German team is fairly likeable as well. Klinsmann's spell at Spurs certainly helped to mend bridges, and the majority of the German players who've come over here have all been likeable and decent people.
  • Options
    2 world wars and one world cup

banta!
  • Options
    new found admiration for the Germans last night.

enjoyed watching them dismantle and humiliate the boys from Brasil.

pass & move and deadly on the counter attack.

love to see Charlton playing that way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite like the Germans in a blanket sterotype way.

Not being funny, but if people get themselves worked up hating other nations and other nations football teams, then you can't have too many serious things in your life to worry about !
  • Options
    " thousands of them singing "your shit and you know you are" and mocking "footballs coming home" in perfect English at Wembley"

Even their fans are in a different league.
    Are my German stretches to is; beer coffee and asparagus soup.
  • Options

Not being funny, but if people get themselves worked up hating other nations and other nations football teams, then you can't have too many serious things in your life to worry about !

Fully appreciate that AFKA - most of the stuff we chat about on here is pretty damn meaningless in the great scheme of things but we're talking about football rivalry on a national level - just like we talk about it on a domestic level. That's all - I Certinally didn't lose any sleep over the Germans winning last night lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I wanted Germany to win last night as I have with every other team that have played Brazil in this World Cup, nothing personal against Brazil but the hype etc around them just winds me up......
  • Options

Fully appreciate that AFKA - most of the stuff we chat about on here is pretty damn meaningless in the great scheme of things but we're talking about football rivalry on a national level - just like we talk about it on a domestic level. That's all - I Certinally didn't lose any sleep over the Germans winning last night lol.
    didn't really mean to apply to what said here, but open your earholes when down the pub and on the train etc and you wonder with some people if there is anything or anyone that they don't 'hate'. The worrying thing is they seem to mean it.

I'm definitely mellowing with age. Pretty much every ounce of 'hatred' in my body is reserved for everything surrounding a certain other football club. I don't have enough to go around elsewhere :-)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Times have definitely changed, if the England team don't turn up I feel I can support whoever I like. I mean 'no loyalty in football' is the motto of the weeks :)
  • Options
    Yeh I like Germany, my charlton supporting mate said this the other day. Thought it carried some truth:

"Hope I don't here another commentator, pundit, presenter or armchair fan use the phrase 'ruthless german efficiency' again. They are playing football not building cars or invading mainland Europe"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I’m not happy to see the Germans win, but I always loved Brazil from my boyhood days and I feel this limited team of cheats didn’t deserve to get to the final. What upsets me about Germany as the only reason that is not us, is the well paid executives who have run the game in this country over the years not having the balls to address the issues. Dyke is the latest of a sorry bunch of takers, but not givers and we the football fans are partly to blame as we a content to put up with it.
  • Options
    Don't really have any problem with the German's or any others for the reasons AFKA has set out..life's too short to waste energy 'hating' a nation. The truth of the matter is we have a huge amount in common with them as people, far more than with the average Brazilian.

Yeah we are rivals and always will be and nothing wrong in that but much of the reasoning behind any 'dislike' seems to me to be driven by jealousy and frustration that they have gone back to grass roots and clubs, the national team and the supporters are all singing from ze same hymn sheet when there's zero chance of us doing the same. Sad but true.
  • Options

Don't really have any problem with the German's or any others for the reasons AFKA has set out..life's too short to waste energy 'hating' a nation. The truth of the matter is we have a huge amount in common with them as people, far more than with the average Brazilian.

Yeah we are rivals and always will be and nothing wrong in that but much of the reasoning behind any 'dislike' seems to me to be driven by jealousy and frustration that they have gone back to grass roots and clubs, the national team and the supporters are all singing from ze same hymn sheet when there's zero chance of us doing the same. Sad but true.

I met a lovely German girl a number of years ago - we ended up living together for 4 year; I got to know her friends and family, over in Germany and staying with us here in Cornwall.

Just ordinary folks, just like me and you, warm and friendly - and liked a good laugh.
    But then they were from the north, not far from the Dutch border. Becks was their local brew.

Their real rivalry was with the southern Germans, Bavaria, etc.
    I'd never realised Germany had such an intense North/South divide!