Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Enjoying German success!?!?

Comments

• Options
    Great win Deutchland.

You may of bombed me grandad but that was a complete performance last night that I hope and pray I will see England emulate it one day before I die (won't hold my breath because i'd be dead in 3 minutes...)

The whole love in for Brazil was sickening and I was supporting ANYONE who played them in the end. At least now Adrian Chiles' ball bags can have a good rest...

"Ein Ziel ging an Brasilien"
    "Glück ging an Brasilien"
    (thankyou Google translate)
  • Options
    For a wonderful 40 minutes yesterday I did not see any crestfallen fans of the losing team suddenly perk up and wave like they were about to be rescued from a shipwreck when the camera picked them out. For that we should all enjoy the Germans success.
  • Options
    I quite like the German national team, they're a good bunch of Players. I've been to Germany before and loved it, nice people, the Allianz arena is spectacular too. I certainly cheered them on last night.
  • Options
    When England are knocked out I usually just support the team that plays the better football out of the two playing.

Germany all the way last night and I'm glad Brazil received a well needed humbling.
  • Options
    Yes because they deserve their success. They have a collective intelligence that is missing from many other international teams. By comparison England are little more than 'well drilled' and unable to take control and adapt their game.

Also I love Germany as it's a great place for a touring holiday and we've been there a couple of times... Romantic Route, Mosel, Rhine, Black Forest, Alps... Fantastisch!
  • Options
    I don't have a hate list, either of Countries or of Clubs. When we were eliminated I thought carefully about who I could back to give me an interest, used my experience over many years, and put £10 on Germany at 4-1. With a bit of luck, four of my favourite charities will each get £10.
  • Options

They have a collective intelligence that is missing from many other international teams.

Succinctly put.

What I was trying to pinpoint in my earlier post, as to why I thought Germany are often the 'ultimate' team - but you put it better.

• Options
    Germany is one of my favourite countries to visit, and while we like to joke about humourless Germans they do in fact have a sense of humour, it just takes a lot of getting used to sometimes. There's a bit of truth to all the stereotypes about Teutonic efficiency and so on but given the equivalent here is Southeastern trains, I'm all for trains that actually run on time!
  • Options
    Henning wehn...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always support the team playing the Germans.
    I have nothing against Germans as individuals. In fact when I lived abroad most of my friends were German. I've also had a few German girlfriends. I even got a gift of a mug with England penalty shoot outs, be careful as prone to crack on it from one as a house warming gift when living in Cambodia.
    But I could never support or be happy with the Germans as a nation. I can forgive them for 2 world wars but not the concentration camps. I doubt the reaction would be the same if it was 1953 rather than 2014.
  • Options
    I wanted Germany to win, partly because I get pissed off with some of the Latino antics of South and Central Americans, diving and play acting too much. But, maybe it's because of the EU, I also feel a bit European, as well as British and English (in reverse order). My wife is 3rd generation dutch (i.e. her great grandfather emigrated to England from Holland) so I'll be cheering on the Dutch tonight - as I would have been in any event after all the Argentine bollox about "Las Malvinas".
  • Options
    Not so much enjoying German success as happy to see that Brazil team humbled. I'd usually support anyone against Germany, but couldn't complain if they win on Sunday. The Palace/Millwall comparison falls down because I don't think they would ever play as well as Germany did last night. I think the current German team are likeable as well, which is not an adjective ever likely to be applied to our neighbours in Bermondsey or Surrey.
    Only been to Germany twice so no great insights there; but it is a very big country and there are lots of things to admire about it as well as some things that are totally off the wall.
  • Options
    Others have already said it, I admire the Germans for the way they use their football intelligence to beat teams that are technically better than them.

For me, and I appreciate others disagree, I just found the Tika-Taka football of the Spanish so damned boring, could not get excited about watching them hold the ball for 90 minutes and win 1-0.

By contrast the Germans are always looking to get forward and score goals, nobody can say they are boring to watch.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Haters gotta hate.
  • Options

Others have already said it, I admire the Germans for the way they use their football intelligence to beat teams that are technically better than them.

For me, and I appreciate others disagree, I just found the Tika-Taka football of the Spanish so damned boring, could not get excited about watching them hold the ball for 90 minutes and win 1-0.

By contrast the Germans are always looking to get forward and score goals, nobody can say they are boring to watch.

Their matches against Ghana, Algeria and yesterday the 3 most entertaining of the tournament in my book
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Germany is one of my favourite countries to visit, and while we like to joke about humourless Germans they do in fact have a sense of humour, it just takes a lot of getting used to sometimes. There's a bit of truth to all the stereotypes about Teutonic efficiency and so on but given the equivalent here is Southeastern trains, I'm all for trains that actually run on time!

Spoken like a true Addick!
    Damn right! If I could actually drive I'd be alright but I am pretty reliant on public transport, it's screwed me over more than once with job issues.
  • Options
    You have to admire the way that team took Brazil apart last night, it was sublime
  • Options
    had a lovely chilli (Brachwerst) dog on Sunday.

go Germany.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm thoroughly enjoying it to be honest. Their model is one we could all get a lot from. They have some of the best attendance figures in europe. Some of the cheapest season tickets in europe and it's certainly clear to see they are producing some talented footballers.

I've said this for a number of years - if we want to tear it up and start again we should be looking at this sort of model.

I'm cheering them on because I hate Argentina and similarly don't like the Dutch national team
  • Options

Haters gotta hate.

Gonna
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Tika taka hasn't been totally found out - it is just you need more world class players to make it work. Teams focus on the areas of potential damage and allow lots of passing where it doesn't matter. So it is harder for the tika taker teams to break through and this is where a Messi of similar helps. I agree though - I hate to watch it and prefer the more direct German style. But the german system works because they have some great players and then good players behind those. They also have a fantastic keeper - would be great if we tried to find somebody like him. I really think - is that the best we can produce?- when I look at Hart! The problem with Hart is - he looks like a good keeper until you actually analyse the saves he makes and doesn't make. Which pretty much says a lot about this country.

To be a world force we need to change our ways, but most teams in this world cup are not world forces. If England had a great keeper like Neuer and a class striker like Suarez, they could have been a force in this tournament! Oh and a manager that paid a bit more respect to the opponent's one or two class players too. England are often hit by the star - because they don't try to stop the star!
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I wanted Germany to win, partly because I get pissed off with some of the Latino antics of South and Central Americans, diving and play acting too much. But, maybe it's because of the EU, I also feel a bit European, as well as British and English (in reverse order). My wife is 3rd generation dutch (i.e. her great grandfather emigrated to England from Holland) so I'll be cheering on the Dutch tonight - as I would have been in any event after all the Argentine bollox about "Las Malvinas".

Brazil aside, Europeans have been far worse for that at this tournament than Latin Americans.
  • Options
    I somewhat hate them but rate them as one of the best squads, the consistency in which they blood youth and keep players performing in all positions, the understanding they have the game is second to none. I think the result will do football in general some good, it was Germany that forced Brazil to collapse, and a mighty job at that - Luiz and Maicon were the biggest problem to Brazil and they were getting rinsed for it, there was no understanding in the Brazil team.

Shame that game won't be matched tonight, but it spiced up a somewhat dull post group stage World Cup.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Don't really have any problem with the German's or any others for the reasons AFKA has set out..life's too short to waste energy 'hating' a nation. The truth of the matter is we have a huge amount in common with them as people, far more than with the average Brazilian.

Yeah we are rivals and always will be and nothing wrong in that but much of the reasoning behind any 'dislike' seems to me to be driven by jealousy and frustration that they have gone back to grass roots and clubs, the national team and the supporters are all singing from ze same hymn sheet when there's zero chance of us doing the same. Sad but true.

I met a lovely German girl a number of years ago - we ended up living together for 4 year; I got to know her friends and family, over in Germany and staying with us here in Cornwall.

Just ordinary folks, just like me and you, warm and friendly - and liked a good laugh.
    But then they were from the north, not far from the Dutch border. Becks was their local brew.

Their real rivalry was with the southern Germans, Bavaria, etc.
    I'd never realised Germany had such an intense North/South divide!

Yes Oggy, I have discovered that North South divide too. I had a new German client recently. Very quickly he said " we are from Hamburg. Hanseatics. The modest type of Germans"

And having spent a bit of time on holidays around that northern area, with the beautiful sandy beaches, lighthouses, piers, fresh lemon sole and treacherous BBQ destroying weather, it almost felt like England. Tugs at the heart strings, I tell you.

Bavaria is like a different country. Much more comfortable, much better weather, but insufferably smug and conservative.

so I'm hoping for a North European derby final. I am sure that CLers would be shocked to find German or Dutch elements of ancestry if they trace their family trees. We proudly call ourselves Anglo Saxons and often forget where Saxony is.

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Don't really have any problem with the German's or any others for the reasons AFKA has set out..life's too short to waste energy 'hating' a nation. The truth of the matter is we have a huge amount in common with them as people, far more than with the average Brazilian.

Yeah we are rivals and always will be and nothing wrong in that but much of the reasoning behind any 'dislike' seems to me to be driven by jealousy and frustration that they have gone back to grass roots and clubs, the national team and the supporters are all singing from ze same hymn sheet when there's zero chance of us doing the same. Sad but true.

I met a lovely German girl a number of years ago - we ended up living together for 4 year; I got to know her friends and family, over in Germany and staying with us here in Cornwall.

Just ordinary folks, just like me and you, warm and friendly - and liked a good laugh.
    But then they were from the north, not far from the Dutch border. Becks was their local brew.

Their real rivalry was with the southern Germans, Bavaria, etc.
    I'd never realised Germany had such an intense North/South divide!

I am sure that CLers would be shocked to find German or Dutch elements of ancestry if they trace their family trees. We proudly call ourselves Anglo Saxons and often forget where Saxony is.

That's a good point, Prague.

Lower Saxony (Ammanland, Friesland near Oldenburg was the area I got to know) with it's woodland, hedges and fields definitely has that feel of England - only the architecture seems different.

The accent is soft and lilting, very different from the stereotype harsh gutteral German that we associate with Germany.

Given Germany's history it's not surprising that the North and South seem very different.
    Of course Bismarck unified the independant states in 1871 to form Germany, but no doubt people kept up their regional customs and identity under the surface. I suppose our old friend religion also played it's part - the North being predominantly Protestant and the south Catholic.

And that's without mentioning the East!

• Options
    Katrina Paschedag, German 6th form exchange student, 1990. Is all I'm saying.
  • Options

Tika taka hasn't been totally found out - it is just you need more world class players to make it work. Teams focus on the areas of potential damage and allow lots of passing where it doesn't matter. So it is harder for the tika taker teams to break through and this is where a Messi of similar helps. I agree though - I hate to watch it and prefer the more direct German style. But the german system works because they have some great players and then good players behind those. They also have a fantastic keeper - would be great if we tried to find somebody like him. I really think - is that the best we can produce?- when I look at Hart! The problem with Hart is - he looks like a good keeper until you actually analyse the saves he makes and doesn't make. Which pretty much says a lot about this country.

To be a world force we need to change our ways, but most teams in this world cup are not world forces. If England had a great keeper like Neuer and a class striker like Suarez, they could have been a force in this tournament! Oh and a manager that paid a bit more respect to the opponent's one or two class players too. England are often hit by the star - because they don't try to stop the star!

Tika-Taka got exposed when teams realized that there was no point retreating into a 4-5-1 because Barca will then simply keep the ball and pass through you - the only option is to actually go to a 4-2-4 and press right onto the back four (Atletico Madrid are superb at this) and make it very tough for Barca to play out from defence.

Once you do this - but you have to do it in numbers - then you can really disrupt their flow and stop them playing.
  • Options
    Germany all the way on Sunday. Sorry Craig mate...