Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best World Cup Ever - or was it?

Is it just me (quite prepared for the answer to be "yes mate" btw) or is the praise for this World Cup all a bit OTT? Sure there were of goals, a biting and the dramatic demise of the hosts but I just couldn't really get into it. Maybe just a completely justified lack of expectation with England, maybe the whole thing just goes on too long, maybe it's just a general malaise with footy as I get older and get fed up with all the money and diving etc. Whatever the case, I had little interest after the first week and only watched sporadically. Went to sleep during the second half last night and, germany aside, there wasn't really a side that I'd cross the street to watch.

Over hype or just me being a miserable git?

Comments

• Yes mate
  • I loved the early rounds, goals and attacking play (mainly by the smaller South American sides) and even the knockout rounds had attacking intent, even if they often lacked goals.

Personally it was the best for quite a few, that however says more about the last couple of decades rather than this tournament.
  • Brilliant Tourny.

Shame about England but oh well.

• I’m relatively young but I think most people claiming it to be the ‘best ever’ are barely old enough to remember USA ’94.
  • Best Group stages (Didnt see the 2nd Round or Quarter-Finals) and it also had two of the greatest games (Holland v Spain / Brazil v Germany) but it seemed that with the later stages the Football became customary cautious once more
  • Best one I've seen in my twenty three years.
  • Best one since Spain 82 which is probably just about still my favourite (mainly as I loved the Brazil team from that one)...but this one was right up there, some absolutely cracking games, plenty of goals and attacking football.

Loved every minute of it, and also thought the final last night was a cracking game (for a 0-0). Germany deserve it when you think who they've beaten to do it
  • RedPanda said:

I’m relatively young but I think most people claiming it to be the ‘best ever’ are barely old enough to remember USA ’94.

I am nearly 40 and it is definitely the best since 82 and 86.

• The group stages were amazing but the last 16 had 8 periods of extra time. 8! And I think half of those were as a result of goalless stalemates. I was pretty much ready for it to end by the time the final came around which normally isn't the case
  • Going to miss perv cam, so on that basis it was the best one ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not too far away from @Sillybilly, to be honest. I watched a lot of the early games and found them more entertaining than previous tournaments where teams chant 'we must not lose our first game' instead of singing their national anthem before the game.

But, the tournament gradually got more boring for me. I don't like a knock out to decide from the last 16 onwards, mainly because I really hate penalties. If the scores are level with 25 minutes to go, I feel a gloom coming over me. I think it got more boring for 3 reasons:

1) The tournament is too long
    2) There were few shocks in the knock out phase except for the margin of Brazil's defeat
    3) There were too many dull games as the tournament drew to its conclusion such that rather than rising to a crescendo, it got less exciting.

The final itself was quite enjoyable, to be fair. One reporter this morning referred to it as a very absorbing final if not the most exciting. I'd go with that.

If there's one thing I don't understand (just to bang on more about penalties) is why there couldn't be a replay for the final if it was level after extra time. Surely, that would have been better than the penalty farce that would have taken place had Herr Gotze not tucked away the winner with the aplomb that we expect from our strikers this season.
  • Best one I have seen in my lifetime (earliest I remember is France '98, even though I was born in 1987).
  • Same as cafctom.
    Born 87, first I remember is France 98, Brazil 14 the best yet.

Group stages were much better than the knockout rounds though.
  • I really enjoyed the whole thing immensely, despite the political furore behind the fotball, and for me the best since 82. What I really enjoyed were the really diverse range of fancy dress going on at the matches. The fans were brilliant, no doubt helped by the carnival atmosphere of Brazil. I wonder what Russia will be like!?!!
  • Group stages were excellent but the knock out rounds less so. The tournament also missed a truly epic see-saw kind of a game like Romania 3 Argentina 2 (1994).

Of thw Orld Cups I've seen (1978 onwards), I'd rate it high to middling, behind 1982, 1994 and 1986 but ahead of all the more recent tournies.
  • Best World Cup I can remember. Yes, the early rounds were better, but there was generally more attacking play, more goals and less foul play. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some memories from this World Cup that won't be forgotten.
  • Yeah the group stages were the best I've ever seen. Loads of goals plenty of attacking play.

As soon as it hit the knockout stages it got very dull. With the one exception being the thrashing Germany handed out to Brazil. Too many 0-0s to be the best ever.
  • Probably the best since Mexico 86 though France 98 was decent.
    As everyone said the group stages were a breath of fresh air but the knockout stages are a problem as there's so much at stake and invariably one side sees themselves as the underdogs and is happy to play for penalties from the first minute
  • Group stages were very good, the 2nd round was pretty decent to some good games some poor. However QF wern't that great and the Holland V Argentina semi was poor...defences coming out on top. The Brazil V Germany semi was a game that will never be forgotton but not because it was a great game. Enjoyed the final and was pleased the Germans won.
    So was it the best Finals ever, difficult one to answer, best group stages yes but not so sure about the knock-out stages. Still it's a shame it's all over and I felt a touch down folding up the wall chart and putting it away....roll on Russia 2018.
  • Good amount of goals, attacking play and some shock results but still too much diving, cheating, whinging and plenty of cynical fouls going unpunished. Overall it was good but the final was as dull as I can remember!
  • Sponsored links:

• Brazil v Germany
    USA v Belgium
    Brazil v Chile
    Argentina v Germany
    Holland v Costa Rica (yes I know it was 0-0, but the Cillessen/Krul swap is a 'moment' that will be remembered)

All were notable knockout games that will be remembered for different reasons. Don't think the knockout stages were as bad as some make out.
  • Personally loved Italia 90, not just because of England doing well but because it was a great tournament in a real football nation.
  • Very enjoyable, some amazing individual games, first WC I remember well was 82 and that was excellent particularly watching Brazil and France, this seemed as exciting. Glad Germany won, great team performance and for germans quite a likeable bunch.
  • I thought it was one of the best world cups I have watched in 48years, very few poor games. Many matches where well fought close contests.
    This could be because there are very few world class players who head and shoulders above evry one else these days, no Maradona, Pele, Kruyf etc.
  • I thought it was an excellent tournament overall, especially in the group stages, when there was some outstanding attacking football. It was also good to see some players who don't feature regularly in the Champions League, which added to the sense of freshness and unpredictability. I agree that the competition lost some of its allure in the knockout stages, although there were still some very exciting games, such as Brazil's against Chile and Colombia and USA v Belgium, to name but three.

For me, however, Mexico 1970 was the best World Cup that I can properly remember. The Brazilian forward line was mesmerising and the slightly strange TV pictures and odd kick off times also made the whole event seem incredibly exotic. It was pretty clear that they were going to win it after they thumped Czechoslovakia 4-1 in the first game, even though their goalie, Felix, made Thuram look competent. We also had an England team to be proud of in that tournament and the game against Brazil was the closest that anyone pushed them.

Of the rest, I really enjoyed 1982 - especially the Italy v Brazil classic - and England's run in Italia 90 (although, overall, that tournament was a bit sterile).

Always a bit sad when these tournaments finish - still, only 4 weeks until the new season.
  • It was certainly a very good touarnament, but it's simply possible for anyone to say which was the best. Apart from the fact that for the first 24 years the World Cup was not televised, if you are old enough to have seen the finals in 1954, your memory will almost certainly be shot to pieces anyway.
  • I think the tournaments are going to get better as the difference between the 'poorer' and 'better' nations is closing. That said, i think Germany will win the next Euro and WC.
  • With @Blucher on this.

!970 was the best in my lifetime (and I can remember 66). I think the Brazil bubble has now burst and probably for good - but back then they were on a different planet. 1970 not just for Brazil though - the two England games against Brazil and West Germany live so clear in my memory - even though they were both defeats.

82 and 90 would come second and third for me then 2014.
  • I've enjoyed this one more than any other, and watched way more of the games than any other. I loved 1990 for England's performances, I didn't watch enough of Spain 82 to be authoritative on it. 1978 was my first proper World Cup but was too young to watch so many games. I do remember being impressed by Brazil and that final with Kempes and the ticker tape was hugely memorable.

But for me this one has been the best yet. Great football, plenty of goals and surprises, and even some of the 0-0s were very good watches.
  • I think the fans and atmosphere have helped the World Cup be so good - plus the attacking play from so many sides.

98 was my previous favourite.

Somehow doubt Russia and certainly Qatar will have the same feeling..