Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best World Cup Ever - or was it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Agreed about the atmosphere's impact.

Part of the reason why I look back at South Africa and cringe at how bad it was. Qatar will be an absolute horror show.
  • Options
    Missed 70, but 74 was magical for me as a nipper. We didn't have a tv but I managed to watch many of the games due to my dad being in a convalescence home, after a major operation.
    I think the world cup is being killed by way too many games.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed it and, for a change, the most deserving team won.

I thought the Brazil scenic backdrops were spectacular.
  • Options
    Certainly more enjoyable than the South African one if only for the fact there were no vuvuzelas.

England apart , The group stages were really good , Everything after that ( apart from the Brazil thrashing) was pretty underwhelming.

Mexico 86 & Italia 90 were the best world cups in my opinion.
  • Options
    Italia '90 was the best for me because of England's performance. The first I remember was '74, which was memorable for the Dutch total football, and '82 was also good. This year the football was pretty good, although unlike others, the happy clappy daytripper nature of a lot of the people in the stands got right on my tits.
  • Options

Is it just me (quite prepared for the answer to be "yes mate" btw) or is the praise for this World Cup all a bit OTT? Sure there were of goals, a biting and the dramatic demise of the hosts but I just couldn't really get into it. Maybe just a completely justified lack of expectation with England, maybe the whole thing just goes on too long, maybe it's just a general malaise with footy as I get older and get fed up with all the money and diving etc. Whatever the case, I had little interest after the first week and only watched sporadically. Went to sleep during the second half last night and, germany aside, there wasn't really a side that I'd cross the street to watch.

Over hype or just me being a miserable git?

I'm 100% with you, but then since I turned 40 I really have become a miserable old git. Also fell asleep last night and had no interest in it whatsoever. A quick straw poll of friends showed that I was very much on my own in not really enjoying the World Cup as a whole though.

• Options
    Italia 90 for me. I was 10 at the time, and remember coming home from School every afternoon for the 3pm game second half, then catching the 5pm game. Remember it being a long, hot summer, and with England doing the business I remember it fondly.
  • Options
    I didn't think my love for France 98 could be beaten but this 2014 sneaks it for me.

Had everything going for it in terms of goals, saves, general play, superstars performing, shocks, crowd, new stars, great stadia.

I really enjoyed the passion the South American teams brought to each game aswell.

Gutted it is over.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the Germany 2006 one,
    For me
    Italy 90
    Germany 2006
    Brazil 2014
  • Options
    74 was the first I remember. I love the World Cup and have great memories from most of them. I thought this was much better than the last one, but not sure it was the best ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1970 remains my favourite, and 66 was great for obvious reasons. Italia 90 also sticks in the mind and the Brazil team from 82.
    I thought Brazil 2014 was a good tournament overall though, with some quality matches. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Best world cup I've ever seen and I'm 46, loved everything about it
    I only missed 1 game and out of the 63 I did watch only 3 bored me to tears and 2 of those were England (last 2) even the 0-0's were excellent viewing

and no bloody vuvuzelas
  • Options
    WhT did you miss? Japan Ivory Coast?
  • Options
    Just lacked a great final, something we've not seen for a while.