Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So I start my new job on Monday, but I just got an offered something better..

If anyone remembers my night shift hell, its about to come to an end.
Again thanks to everyone for help.

I am meant to start my new job (tyre fitting..) for Jet on Monday morning. So far nothing is written down. I spoke to the manager and he told me to come in on Monday and start. Starts at min wage around 13k p/y I believe.

Today I received a call about a 'Guaranteed' Junior Broker position up London. The advert said 18k-21k. The guy who called said the training starts Wednesday & Thursday (my first week at the new place) and by Friday I would be a broker. They are called Core Agents and work in partnership with a company called IronFX who would employ me. Even if they did not they still guarantee employment elsewhere.

I dont really know what to do, this guy at Jet is expecting me in next week but this 'Guaranteed' job as a broker seems much better, even if I am wary of working on phones all day.
Even worse is my mate works there and recommended me to him in the first place.

I have about 20 minutes to decide before they call me back and I have to pay for the training before 6 (£50), any views would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Tyre fitting - if you have to pay for the training the broker thing sounds very fishy.
  • Options

Tyre fitting - if you have to pay for the training the broker thing sounds very fishy.

Yes, agreed. Check that both the agent and the brokers are registered with the FCA. If they are not AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!
  • Options
    As Algarve says the broking doesn't sound right. It is not a boiler room is it. Have they given you a contract to sign?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    How much is commission based?
    Would be worried about shelling out.
    And £50 doesn't sound much for training, but what is the training?
  • Options
    Lots of questions re Broker, the first is ... is it salaried? if its low or no salary and commission based .. walk away
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yes, agreed. Check that both the agent and the brokers are registered with the FCA. If they are not AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Initially they signed 30 people on on Friday however I missed the 6PM deadline but they called today saying there is one spot left.
    I am not sure where I would look to check that. Here is the email they sent me today..

Working in partnership with IronFX we’re offering you a guaranteed job offer as a Junior broker in the city of London and a fantastic opportunity to gain behind-the-scenes insight and hands-on training offered by IronFX in their prestigious offices in Liverpool Street, London.

In a nutshell Core Agents are offering you:

· Guaranteed Job Offer as a junior broker within one week!
    · Behind the scenes FX Training by IronFX Global (a top 5 Global FX broker and official sponsor of FC Barcelona)

Please book yourself in for the training programme now by following the instructions below:
  • Options
    Did you interview with them?
  • Options
    You might want to read this! From the Forex peace army website

The FPA has repeatedly requested to communicate with the CEO of IronFx regarding the unethical behavior of employees of the company. Two employees who have been asked to put the FPA in touch with the CEO have refused to do so.
    Readers of this review page should note the fake reviews left by IronFx employees pretending to be clients. These are from "Dimitri, London, United Kingdom" on 2013-08-02 and "Eva Leine, Stuttgart, Germany on 2013-02-04".
    IronFx employees have also spammed the FPA's forums on three occasions.
    First IronFx Forums Spam Incident - 2012-11-12
    Second IronFx Forums Spam Incident - 2013-05-24
    Third IronFx Forums Spam Incident - 2014-02-05
    These incidents began in November 2012. The most recent was in February of 2014.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Lots of questions re Broker, the first is ... is it salaried? if its low or no salary and commission based .. walk away

The advert was 18k-21k + commission:

Permanent Banking and Finance vacancy Junior Broker | x20 positions| Basic + Commission (SG25) located near - United Kingdom -- England -- Greater London -- London paying £18,000 - 21,000/Annum + Commission and other company benefits:
  • Options
    Lots of these companies promise you'll become a trader/broker in a very short time when in reality it takes over a year of training to become one (properly registered to trade with the FCA).

These companies have you selling (and I mean pushing the hard sell) and are often stressful and horrible places to work with very difficult targets to meet.

Some are legit, others are dodgy (like this one):

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/police-raid-city-office-and-arrest-traders-over-alleged-wolf-of-wall-street-fraud-racket-9282542.html

Check they are registered with the FCA, and find out more about them and what exactly it is you'll be doing before you make a decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:

Did you interview with them?

No I just found there advert on monster or ukgov (one of them) and applied

• Options
    If you have an aversion to phone calls all day and have got to pay out for your own training and only 20 minutes to make a considered decision it's got to be a no. Tell the guy you're committed to staring a new job but ask if it doesn't go well would there still be opportunities in the future to try and keep your options open. One step at a time I think is the best way forward.
  • Options
    Sounds very odd Matt, pushy closing to get a candidate in for training they have to pay for? Wouldnt go anywhere near that if I were you.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Sounds very odd Matt, pushy closing to get a candidate in for training they have to pay for? Wouldnt go anywhere near that if I were you.

Agree with this
  • Options
    They are FCA registered but what All_Thaid_Up posted is a bit concerning
  • Options
    I think I will just take baby steps, tyre fitting first. Thank you all.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Good choice
  • Options
    MattD said:

Better to be safe than sorry mate. The grass isn't always greener.

Good Luck and all the best for Monday.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MattD said:

That's the ticket mate, see how it goes with the tyre fitting and adjust to more regular working hours and who knows you may really enjoy going to work. If that doesn't work out you can keep looking elsewhere in your own time having done plenty of groundwork. Money isn't everything, job satisfaction has a value too! Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good choice tbh. Good luck Matt...
  • Options
    They seem as dodgy as **** & how they are allowed to operate, (if they are dodgy), is beyond me.
    A possible reason why they are looking for so many new recruits, is the amount of staff that leave.
  • Options
    Good call.

I don't believe in paying for training...you should be getting paid whilst training!

I can understand paying for equipment etc, but as soon as a potential employer asks for money and rushes you to do it, might be legit etc, but quite frankly, its just a load of bollocks!...plenty of arseholes out there that make false promises.

Good luck with new job, climb the ladder.
  • Options
    Go for the tyre fitting and don't forget all your old mates on CL when we need new tyres (with a generous discount)
  • Options
    I can't see that any training whatsoever would cost £50 for 3 days, how lucky was you that someone dropped out and you have to pay ASAP by 6, sorry mate screaming scam to me
  • Options
    What smiffyboy says
  • Options
    I haven't read all the links but I have to say what you initially said have every alarm bell in my head ringing. The classic one position has just become available is pressure selling at its best (worst). You have made a wise decision. I know it is a cliche but, "if something seems to good to be true, it is because it generally is".
  • Options
    Definitely done the right thing. Sounds like you got a taster of what's to come and are better off out of it
  • Options
    You made the right choice mate, good luck in your new role.
  • Options
    if they are legit they sound like right cowboys and would probably be shit to work for. Good choice with the tyre fitting, something even better will come along before you know it.