Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So I start my new job on Monday, but I just got an offered something better..

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm thinking boiler room set up at worst and have never heard of a legit employer asking their staff to pay for their own training. An email/call to Action Fraud might be an option?
  • Options
    Good luck mate and well done making the break
  • Options
    Glad you went with the first job, the other sounds dodgy as. Had a similar situation myself and avoided it (luckily) and will be very careful when/if I look for a new job in the future. Some very very dodgy companies out there and that sounds like one of them.

Good luck with the new job.
  • Options
    Apologies for the generalisation but sales and recruitment jobs are bullshit. Tyre fitting is real. Simple.
  • Options
    Pay for your training - er no.

Not knowing who you will be employed by at end of said training - definite no.

They are basically asking you to give them money to tell you a bit about the fx industry and then you will be a telephone sales clerk for a company yet to be decided.

If there was genuine job there it would be on the companies website.
  • Options
    I once nearly took a job as a financial adviser which seemed like a similar set up to what you are doing.

When you need a job you try and see everything as being possible and maybe don't see what could be quite obvious if you looked at it from the position of having a job and could afford to be more selective. It all of a sudden just clicked in my head that this place was basically calling people and hard selling, so I told them I'd found a job, and a few weeks later, I did.

Best of luck in your new job, you definitely made the correct choice.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Huskaris said:

I once nearly took a job as a financial adviser which seemed like a similar set up to what you are doing.

When you need a job you try and see everything as being possible and maybe don't see what could be quite obvious if you looked at it from the position of having a job and could afford to be more selective. It all of a sudden just clicked in my head that this place was basically calling people and hard selling, so I told them I'd found a job, and a few weeks later, I did.

Best of luck in your new job, you definitely made the correct choice.

I agree, I made this thread because I wasnt sure how to approach the situation of ditching the first job for the second. Then the replys here really opened everything up to me. Without this thread and my first ambition to get of night shifts, I reckon I could very easily have just gone ahead with the payment. Even if not a scam it doesnt sound very appealing.

Whilst I am at it, does anyone know if there is a maximum notice time? I think in my contract (which I havnt seen for years) it says that I have to give a months notice, which is fine. However there is something in the back of my head that recalls that there is an additional week per year employed, taking me up to 6 weeks if so.

I am trying to time it right so that when I go for my three weeks booked holiday I never have to come back. However I dont want to hand it in until I have done a full weeks work at the new place so I can get to grips with what its like.

Thanks again all
  • Options
    Now look here my little Canvey mate, it's all very well these new jobs, but do you get Saturday afternoons off?
  • Options
    Matt you can ask your HR for a copy of your employment contract. Each company will be different on notice periods
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How you gonna do a months notice and start the new job Monday
  • Options
    MattD said:

I think I will just take baby steps, tyre fitting first. Thank you all.

Good call mate! You should never ever pay your employer to train you. You might be surprised at how your career progresses in this industry whose products are always in demand.

The very best of luck to you young sir!
  • Options
    Good honest hard hard graft tyre fitting
    Go for it
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Now look here my little Canvey mate, it's all very well these new jobs, but do you get Saturday afternoons off?

On a rota, so should be good to make my return to the Valley! Maybe not a season ticket but I will be there!

• Options
    edited July 2014

How you gonna do a months notice and start the new job Monday

I could technically work it all. Over the two week period were there is a clash it would look like this.

Monday-Friday @ New Place
    8:30-18:00
    Friday-Saturday @ Old Place
    20:00-7:00

Hell of a long Friday, will most likely call in sick at Sainsbury's. Im already suffering from exhaustion, took me twice as long to do my work last night. 24 hour day will be impossible.
    Got to weigh it up as well. Would rather impress at my new place than just get by at both.
  • Options
    @MattD‌ I used to be an FX broker and it takes much much longer than 2 days to understand what you're doing. Sounds like these guys are a bunch of cowboys. Besides most "broking" is now computerised.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Apologies for the generalisation but sales and recruitment jobs are bullshit. Tyre fitting is real. Simple.

Massive generalisation there. I can only assume you have no idea what you're talking about

• Options

JaShea99 said:

Massive generalisation there. I can only assume you have no idea what you're talking about

Apart from the bit about recruitment ;)
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

I'm not saying there are no real sales/recruitment jobs. But job websites are absolutely crammed full of job ads just like the above, preying on graduates, people who have lost their jobs or are desperate for whatever reason and it needs to be stopped.

If you work in one of those industries you probably wouldn't understand, but if you ever fancied doing something real, you would get it instantly.
  • Options
    This really ought to be members only.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I could technically work it all. Over the two week period were there is a clash it would look like this.

Monday-Friday @ New Place
    8:30-18:00
    Friday-Saturday @ Old Place
    20:00-7:00

Hell of a long Friday, will most likely just take them sick.
    Oh dear. I dodged a bullet.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

I'm not saying there are no real sales/recruitment jobs. But job websites are absolutely crammed full of job ads just like the above, preying on graduates, people who have lost their jobs or are desperate for whatever reason and it needs to be stopped.

If you work in one of those industries you probably wouldn't understand, but if you ever fancied doing something real, you would get it instantly.
    In my opinion you are 100% right. In my experience (sorry if any of them are on here) recruiters are the most insufferable, slimy arseholes going, and they got me a job!!! I deal with them every day sadly, as part of the bloody job they got me was paying their invoices!!! Haha. For me recruiters are a few shades below second hand car salesmen and estate agents. Sellers are pretty bad but not as bad because they aren't playing with your future with their lies just trying to pocket a few quid.
  • Options
    Matthew, put everything you have now into your job. You can after a period claim a registered skill and knowledge plus experience which will after a reasonable time make you very employable. Avoid " too good to be true offers like the broker " like the plague, it stinks to high heaven. You are very young, work to create for yourself a good record of employment history which will stand you in good stead for the future. One step at a time son..
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

These aren't, by and large, the mainstay of sales, broking or recruitment jobs.

I used to work in broking and now work in recruitment. Both roles require me to put someone with a need in touch with someone with something to sell (be that FX or their own skills).

The number of positive recommendations from candidates and clients alike is testament to how "real" my career is
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Huskaris said:

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

In my opinion you are 100% right. In my experience (sorry if any of them are on here) recruiters are the most insufferable, slimy arseholes going, and they got me a job!!! I deal with them every day sadly, as part of the bloody job they got me was paying their invoices!!! Haha. For me recruiters are a few shades below second hand car salesmen and estate agents. Sellers are pretty bad but not as bad because they aren't playing with your future with their lies just trying to pocket a few quid.
    Tbh I could say the same thing about a lot of candidates. Lies on cvs, lies about earnings, not turning up for interviews......
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

What a stupid, uneducated post