Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are you a good cook?

edited July 2014 in Not Sports Related
No not jordan cook, not breaking bad...

Whats the best meal you can make?

I want to increase my culinary skills, as cooking is probably lifes best general skill. Healthy eating, good diet, hygiene and excersise is a start lifting someones mood. Its pro active and theraputic

I make a mean spagbol....but thats it really, which is quite limited. Might even try out for a simple weekend cooking course at some point. (I hate the likes of masterchef, gordan ramsey jamie oliver all that garbage)

Are you a good home chef what can you make?

Comments

• Options
    No - its birds work!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

No - its birds work!

In this day and age mate, it really isnt.
  • Options
    I like to think so, at least I eat it all every night.

I love cooking though and would love to do it for a living one day.
    As for what I can cook, that's a tough one, make a mean jerk chicken, and enjoy experimenting with lots of bits to make sauces and graves etc.
    I understand why people can't watch cooking shows, I don't really watch them, other than master chef. I find a few of the challenges they do can be done at home. They have an invention test where they give you 10-15 random ingredients and see what you can come up with. Also they do one where they cook something and you replicate it. What I like about it is they don't get hung up on recipes and measurements etc.
  • Options
    I'm not a good cook but can do simple stuff like roast dinners, meat and two or more veg and fry ups to feed a family.

(I'll probably have a dawn raid now for child abuse because the food police won't like the fact that I've used the words "roast," "meat" and "fry!")

Anything more ambitious than that though is a no no although I'd like to summon up the courage to try if I could find a teaching aid to "cater" (sorry unintentional pun) for a complete idiot who needs instructions at the level of "turn the oven on the switch is here" yet does not want to feel patronised.
  • Options
    I make a lovely Shepard's Pie if I say so myself
  • Options
    I am a fantastic home cook, I can't be bothered to make it look fancy, my portions are far too large for masterchef
  • Options
    Let's get this right.

Women are cooks.
    Men are chefs.
  • Options
    If you can read you can cook.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My missus is a fussy eater so I gave up trying to cook anything different (there's always something in a recipe she doesn't eat). The one thing I am on safe ground with is herby couscous with piri-piri coated chicken goujons and sun dried tomatoes.

But in answer to the question, no I am not a good cook.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Greenie said:

No - its birds work!

In this day and age mate, it really isnt.
    What? How? When did it all change then?

*Puts on pinny and starts drizzling*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to think I am.

I always cook myself a sunday roast and can turn my hand to a braised steak, shepherds pie or spag bol.

even though I live on my own I never eat a "meal for one" or microwave dinners - all food is cooked by me apart from the odd frey bentos pie or take away (fish & chips/kebabs)

can also make a decent sponge cake too
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Several people have said they make a mean spag bol - are you talking about making the ragou sauce yourselves from ingredients you have bought, or whacking a jar of Dolmio on top some mince in wok ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Several people have said they make a mean spag bol - are you talking about making the ragou sauce yourselves from ingredients you have bought, or whacking a jar of Dolmio on to op some mince in wok ?

If you can make a spag Bol like this, I'm sure you can turn your hand to a lasagne in the same fashion.
  • Options
    Agree that cooking is a good life skill.
    Surely there is nobody that couldn't make a Desperate Dan style potato/swede/carrot mash with grated cheese in it, and heat up some veggie sausages to go with it, and add some microwaved frozen peas for colour.
    You'd have to be a total moron not to manage to cook a dish like that.
  • Options
    I can turn my had to pretty much anything in the kitchen and dont like to use jars of sauce for anything, but me and the mrs both work full time in the city and have a 6 year old and an 11 month old so so the occasional curry will be from a jar.

Love a home made lasagne made ALL myself or lamb stew in the winter.

also soups made from scratch at home are soo much nicer!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I love cooking, doing a paella tonight for the missus and the little helpers. If you want to learn some new recipes try the BBC Good Food site, it really is excellent and most of the dishes are pretty easy.
  • Options
    Learnt to bake bread a few months back, so easy to do, and good fun to play about with different recipes. Made one with kalamatta olives and chili oil the other day, delicious. Falaffel is pretty easy to do too, learnt that a few months back. Trying some nice veggie burger recipes now. I am pretty good i'd say, but at least initially it is just following recipes on t'internet, which surely everyone can do. I used to work as a chef in Pizza Express, which mostly just gave me good preparation skills, so I can chop quickly... really enjoying learning new recipes, and as above the BBC site really is very good.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Surely there is nobody that couldn't make a Desperate Dan style potato/swede/carrot mash with grated cheese in it, and heat up some veggie sausages to go with it, and add some microwaved frozen peas for colour.

Do you mean 'sausage shaped vegetable matter' as a sausage is meat matter contained in skin.
  • Options
    am getting better, make a nice chilli / spag bol / shepherds pie (all from scratch)

the missus is an excellent cook and is slowly teaching me, everything we eat at home is cooked from scratch, the key is to make loads and then freeze portions of it for when you are busy!
  • Options
    No. 90% of my stuff is from jars and that's not cooking, it's reheating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've managed to keep my Daughter and myself going for the last 16 years on our own so my cooking cant be too bad.Have also made cakes for my Daughters school that have always gone down well unless they were just being polite?!
  • Options
    I make the best moussaka. Even the Greeks who tried it, loved it.
    Also cook a decent curry.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

seth plum said:

Do you mean 'sausage shaped vegetable matter' as a sausage is meat matter contained in skin.
    Yes you're right, sausage shaped vegetable matter is more accurate, just as dead pig is more accurate than bacon, and dead cow more accurate than beef.
  • Options
    I enjoy cooking things with a bit of spice to them. So Mexican, Thai, North African are favourites.

Was given a tagine for xmas one year and some of the food i've made in that has been fantastic.
  • Options
    Shame we don't have a home pre season game or we could of all met up for a picnic lunch in Greenwich, each bringing our speciality dish......

:-)
  • Options
    Pad kee mao, amazing.
  • Options

I love cooking, doing a paella tonight for the missus and the little helpers. If you want to learn some new recipes try the BBC Good Food site, it really is excellent and most of the dishes are pretty easy.

I agree with this. All of my recipes come from here and never go wrong.

• Options
    I know how to operate the microwave
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Spag Bol is a great place to start. You know about cooking onions, garlic, mince etc. from there you can make chili conne carne (same as bolognese but put in chilli powder with the onions, kidney beans with the pepper and then grate some chocolate and mix it in just before you serve), shepherds pie (just add mash and put in oven for 30 mins).

Simples
  • Options
    I do a mean cornish pastie