Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are you a good cook?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Redskin said:

Dave2l said:

Redskin said:

Being able to make a spag bol,chilli con carne or shepherd's pie doesn't make you a good cook,it simply means you can cook.

I'm not pooh-pooing it,I make all of these and many more besides.I make my own stock and demi-glace,Bernaise and Hollandaise sauce etc,but does this make me a good cook? No.

As someone said earlier:If you can read,you can cook

What do you think makes a good cook?
    Good question,er...

Essentially,someone who has an innate understanding of what ingredients marry with each other,or when tasting whatever,instinctively knows it needs lifting/tempering with this,and is able to achieve it.A good palette - something I destroyed with years of boozing and smoking.

And love.

I don't know really,I just know good food.

*Edit: Just seen you started this thread, Dave.I'd recommend Nigel Slater's Appetite as a recipe book to start with.It's basic,very well written,is not draconian in its approach and the results are fab.

Agree 100% with the recommendation for Appetite. Simple, adaptable and enthusiastic - a great starting point to improving your repertoire.
  • Options
    I find it strange when people say they can't cook, I think it's probably more like can't be bothered or consider it to be woman's role.

I'm an ok cook, I'm not necessarily an instinctive cook but I can follow a recipe anyone can, if they bother to try!

the only thing that pisses me off with it is that it can take awhile to prepare but eaten in 5 mins.

I stayed overnight at a pals house and the next morning his wife had to do a morning work shift and i couldn't believe it when my pal said we'd have to wait till his wife came home from work before we could have breakfast because he couldn't cook a fry up. so I did it.
  • Options
    Microwaves are the work of the devil.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Dave2l said:

Redskin said:

Being able to make a spag bol,chilli con carne or shepherd's pie doesn't make you a good cook,it simply means you can cook.

I'm not pooh-pooing it,I make all of these and many more besides.I make my own stock and demi-glace,Bernaise and Hollandaise sauce etc,but does this make me a good cook? No.

As someone said earlier:If you can read,you can cook

What do you think makes a good cook?
    Good question,er...

Essentially,someone who has an innate understanding of what ingredients marry with each other,or when tasting whatever,instinctively knows it needs lifting/tempering with this,and is able to achieve it.A good palette - something I destroyed with years of boozing and smoking.

And love.

I don't know really,I just know good food.

*Edit: Just seen you started this thread, Dave.I'd recommend Nigel Slater's Appetite as a recipe book to start with.It's basic,very well written,is not draconian in its approach and the results are fab.

As well as the above I think a good cook can also look at a recipe and will know what the result will taste like.