Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

False widow spiders

Comments

• Options
    Haha yes that is the best course of action in this instance
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Or just hit it with a size 10
  • Options
    Anyone on here know for sure what this is?
    Looks like a few photos I've seen online listed as false widows but not sure myself. Other pictures it looks nothing like it.image
  • Options
    Yep, that's why I thought twice about posting. Cheers haha
  • Options
    Steve, I'm pretty sure it's, steatoda nobilis, the noble false widow. Ain't they cute?
  • Options
    It's the pattern on the back that's the big clue, but this is a bit darker than most.
  • Options
    Agree with stig. We had one living in the conservatory for a couple of months til it curled up a died in that really hot spell. It was quite dark. Seems to eat a huge number of flies
  • Options
    that is a f**king beast
  • Options
    I've got one in my garage (bloody big spider, not necessarily false widow) I watched it eat a wasp I'd zapped and thrown in his Web for him. Hopefully that's put us on good terms now and he'll deal with all the other plant eating insects and flies. Having a barbecue on Sunday and I introduced him to one of my mates who I didn't realise is not very comfortable in the company of arachnids. He said I should be feeding I steak haha

I'll endeavour to take a photo of the monster when I get home
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I seem to have 4 maybe 5 of them beauties in my conservatory at the moment quick buggers need to dig out my spider catcher glass and thow them next door
  • Options
    Not a false widow but fucking huge, biggest one I've come across, the photo doesn't show just how big the bastard is
  • Options
    Warmer climates Smiffy. They're just gonna get bigger and bigger. Also our milder autumns mean the buggers will be lingering long into November
  • Options
    It was in my daughters room and she hates them, had to try and catch the bloody thing that would give bolt a run for his money and calm her down before the neighbours thought I was murdering her
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Not a false widow but fucking huge, biggest one I've come across, the photo doesn't show just how big the bastard is

Was it taken at the Valley on the old sofa? In which case theres nothing to worry about.

Mind you, I will check the roof of the stands today, it may be full of mummified, cocooned fans. This could explain why our claimed attendances are so far out, as KM probably still chooses to include them in our totals.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

smiffyboy said:

It was in my daughters room and she hates them, had to try and catch the bloody thing that would give bolt a run for his money and calm her down before the neighbours thought I was murdering her

Lynx + lighter

It's the only way to be sure and leaves a nice aroma.?scorch marks on the walls are repairable

Lol they don't bother me and I will pick them up and chuck them out but couldn't this one even I had reservations so it went in a box and chucked over next doors garden, will probably find him sleeping in my bed later
  • Options
    I never kill them. But I don't want to share my space with them. A couple of years back I saw 3 in my house in the space of 20 mins - disproportional amount IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

It's hard to tell from that photo but I suspect it's a Giant House Spider, Tegenaria gigantea. The legs on your specimen look a little more stubbly than most though, so it could be something else. Assuming that it is a GHS, it's quite harmless though sadly may not last very long if put outside.
  • Options
    I can't stand to be near them. I'd never deliberately kill one, but I can't stay in the same room as one and unfortunately it's house spiders that I find the worse. I have actually been physically sick after seeing one of those giant ones run across the living room floor.
  • Options
    Friend in Snodland had a false widow in their baby daughters bath the other day.

Could have been nasty
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Friend in Snodland had a false widow in their baby daughters bath the other day.

Could have been nasty

No it couldn't. The clue is in the word 'False'.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Stig said:

Swisdom said:

Could have been nasty

I'm aware it's not deadly but It's venomous and the baby is 4 months old. It most certainly could have been nasty
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Stig said:

Swisdom said:

Could have been nasty

I'm aware it's not deadly but It's venomous and the baby is 4 months old. It most certainly could have been nasty
    I think it unlikely the baby would have done it any harm. ;0)

• Options
    Never heard of the white widow. Not related to the Scottish Widow...over many itterations of the 'widow' that's a wake that would be worth attending...
  • Options

Never heard of the white widow. Not related to the Scottish Widow...over many itterations of the 'widow' that's a wake that would be worth attending...

She was from Bradford, leith or something I think her name was.