Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

False widow spiders

Comments

• How many flies does that one have to eat each day Stig?
  • I don't know, I guess it depends on the size of the fly. I do sometimes experiment with giving my ones alternative food sources. Today I found out that they don't like pepperoni - they find it so disgusting that they pick it up and throw it off their webs. They don't like the jelly that comes in cat food either, but they tend to leave that on their webs (perhaps it's too awkward for them to pick up). They love the meaty bits of cat food though.
  • Stig said:

I don't know, I guess it depends on the size of the fly. I do sometimes experiment with giving my ones alternative food sources. Today I found out that they don't like pepperoni - they find it so disgusting that they pick it up and throw it off their webs. They don't like the jelly that comes in cat food either, but they tend to leave that on their webs (perhaps it's too awkward for them to pick up). They love the meaty bits of cat food though.

I thought they liked liquid food as they can't digest solids. Isn't their venom what breaks down the insides of their prey?
  • Anyone used RAID fly/wasp spray or the RAID cockroach killer in the red can? If so, dId it kill the spider. Ive not seen a spray specifically for spiders so i tend to use the Dyson which does a good job of removing all limbs.
  • New camera?
  • No, same old one.
  • Tidy. Nice photos.
  • Liking these photos, Stig. Feeding them maggots is quite good to watch too (had them for fishing).
  • Sponsored links:

• Now is a great time to get out in the garden and see the European Garden Spiders as the females are getting very fat and are really prominent on their webs:

Packed Lunch (1 of 1)
  • Didn't know Sue* went to the Brewers.

*apologies I've never seen or met sue and she is probably lively in person and may be very svelte as far as I know.
  • Swisdom said:

smiffyboy said:

It was in my daughters room and she hates them, had to try and catch the bloody thing that would give bolt a run for his money and calm her down before the neighbours thought I was murdering her

Lynx + lighter

It's the only way to be sure and leaves a nice aroma.?scorch marks on the walls are repairable

Bit harsh for him to torch his daughter!
  • Stig said:

Now is a great time to get out in the garden and see the European Garden Spiders as the females are getting very fat and are really prominent on their webs:

Packed Lunch (1 of 1)

Is that a wasp it's wrapped up for tea?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Stig said:

Now is a great time to get out in the garden and see the European Garden Spiders as the females are getting very fat and are really prominent on their webs:

Packed Lunch (1 of 1)

Is that a wasp it's wrapped up for tea?
    No it's a leopard these spiders are truly massive
  • @Stig - you are very strange.

Spiders are bad.

Lesson over.

:-)
  • Bit worried... Just found this in my bathroom, it isn't a false widow is it?

• At this time of year in Britain I'd be surprised to see any spiders knocking about. Down under though https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/australia-zoo-urges-people-to-catch-deadly-spiders-as-antidote-runs-low/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_HLTH_NEWS

• Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:

Bit worried... Just found this in my bathroom, it isn't a false widow is it?

Not sure about the spider - but that's definitely a false cock.
    One bite could cause a massive swelling...
  • If I've identified this one correctly it's a type of false widow called Steatoda Bipuncata AKA The Rabbit Hutch Spider. On account of it's size (not that you can tell from the photo), I'd think this one is probably a female.

Steatoda Bipuncata (1 of 1)
  • edited September 2017
    Never mind the false widows. What abut this little beaut?

• ''Tis that time of the year again
  • There was a cobweb hanging down the outside of my kitchen window the other day with a big fat female sitting at the centre. Along comes a randy male and starts plucking her web strings. After about 10 minutes of dancing he manages to climb on board, before legging it for a breather. Another 10 mins pass and the same again, he clambers aboard and wraps his legs around her. When he goes back for a third go, she goes for him, teeth and all so he runs for his life, so fast that he's hanging by a single thread, blowing in the wind. She casually strolls over and snips the thread and the poor sod drops into oblivion. (Well on top of my hosepipe) never to be seen again.
    Those females are harsh.

Going back for a third time I admire his stamina: )