Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friendly at Portsmouth 2nd August

Comments

• Options

I doubt there at Fratton)

I was there. It didnt seem like there were many of us there as we were spread out in among a lot mass of pompey fans...at the station afterwards it seemed even less but that was because it was chaos because of what was probably to a couple of local pillocks coming it one of which was crying fir his mum when he eventually got nicked by the ob after which everybody to be able to get their trains home and we all started looking to wolves away on valentines day...and theres another story...

• Options
    I admit I was young at the time so maybe there weren`t that many Charlton there for the replay although to me it did seem like we had a good support. Can`t see any reason why we wouldn`t have taken a fair few?
  • Options
    kafka said:

E-cafc said:

Yes, remember that FA Cup game. They had at least 10,000 on the open end, we went 1.0 up through a Bob Curtis penalty but couldn`t quite get the second goal to kill the game off and they equalised late about 87 mins through Norman Piper(I think)!

We went to Fratton on the following Tuesday or Wednesday and won 3.0 in the replay and we had a big support in the 32,000 crowd that night. The crowd at the home tie was given as 26,000~(yeah right)

Went to the valley game. 3 defenders scored in the replay if my memory serves me.
    Mark Penfold was one. Didnt think it was Bob Curtis in first game, surely he was long gone.

E-cafc said:

Yes, remember that FA Cup game. They had at least 10,000 on the open end, we went 1.0 up through a Bob Curtis penalty but couldn`t quite get the second goal to kill the game off and they equalised late about 87 mins through Norman Piper(I think)!

We went to Fratton on the following Tuesday or Wednesday and won 3.0 in the replay and we had a big support in the 32,000 crowd that night. The crowd at the home tie was given as 26,000~(yeah right)

I was there at Fratton because I was a studentthere, and I certainly don't remember a big Charlton support. It was a bit like the jasper Carrott sketch. My two great buddies at the time were Pompey stalwarts, and give them credit they turned up afterwards at the Tricorn disco where I felt free to make a number of highly public observations.

Bizarrely I nearly got into a fight I was bound to lose two weeks later in the Centre hotel when some bloke I had disagreed with about Peter Hunt's booking recognized me, even though his brain cells couldn't quite compute and he had to ask me if I was a Charlton fan. My Pompey mate negotiated an honorable settlement.

I never went back after graduation. I couldn't believe such a dump existed , with young people who had never made the 70 miles to London.

Have they demolished the Tricorn centre yet, Mr Pres.?

I asked at work, and apparently the Tricorn is now the car park for the Shopping centre. And the club there was called Basins ?

I understand what you are saying about Pompey, however, there is a lot of heritage and the place is full of 'good','honest' people - take that as you wish.
  • Options
    I loved our games in the Seventies and eighties against Portsmouth. Lively would be a word to describe them.
  • Options
    Bumped for those thinking of going next weekend.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I loved our games in the Seventies and eighties against Portsmouth. Lively would be a word to describe them.

Mid to late 60s were always very lively as well ;-)

Cup replay very few Charlton there really, pissing of rain & most of what Charlton there was there were on the open end. A small mob of us was on the halfway line staying dry....happy days ;-)
  • Options
    I was there as a student too & so wanted to go to the game last year as was going on the Friday for a night out before. Thought I'd better check out a bit of a stomach pain before leaving & ended up having an emergency appendectomy (it whatever the correct term is Henry)
  • Options

I was there as a student too & so wanted to go to the game last year as was going on the Friday for a night out before. Thought I'd better check out a bit of a stomach pain before leaving & ended up having an emergency appendectomy (it whatever the correct term is Henry)

Phew, thought you were going to say an unexpected pregnancy !
  • Options
    Appendicitis was more welcome than that!

What's your SA connection?
  • Options

LOL. Appendicectomy as you were in Britain at the time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The FA Cup replay wasn`t the game where it rained all bloody night in 1980-81 season. I was there that Tuesday night as well when we lost 0.1 and loads of Charlton had their tops of and doing singing in the rain. We were in the corner and it kept going off by the fences with Portsmouth skins. The cup replay was totally different!
  • Options
    Any idea if it will be segregated? If not where are people sitting or is it just a mix in.
  • Options

Any idea if it will be segregated? If not where are people sitting or is it just a mix in.

Charlton will be,surprise,surprise, in the away end,known locally as The Milton End.
  • Options
    Happy days. Went to both games, travelling to the away one on Lewis coaches. We got dropped off at one side of the ground and couldn't get in because the stand was full. Got in the other side. There weren't many Charlton fans there and there certainly wasn't one group, it was fragmented throughout the ground. Remember some Pompey fans sitting on the pitch after one of our goals.
  • Options

Appendicitis was more welcome than that!

What's your SA connection?

I spent some years living in Cape Town - notice you are BFPO - you're not in Simonstown are you?
  • Options
    Can any of you remember the name of the sizeable boozer many of us visited a few years back on the way to games at pompey after getting off the supporters' coaches? Don't remember it being far from the ground.
  • Options
    Cheers
    Could be...
  • Options
    Not sure if people are aware, but you can use the South West Trains summer booking offer for this. Have just booked a return from Waterloo to Fratton for £15.00. Bargain.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    E-cafc said:

The FA Cup replay wasn`t the game where it rained all bloody night in 1980-81 season. I was there that Tuesday night as well when we lost 0.1 and loads of Charlton had their tops of and doing singing in the rain. We were in the corner and it kept going off by the fences with Portsmouth skins. The cup replay was totally different!

That was one wet night. There was then an "Incident" involving the buffet car, I believe, on the train back which led to a lengthy stop for OB to get on at Havant and a mad rush to get the 12.59 Woolwich train - the last down the Dartford lines - at Waterloo East.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably been to Fratton Park more than any other away ground. Too young to remember the Cup game, but the game at The Valley was one of my first. There were a couple of hairy night games in the early 90's I remember well - think we won both 2-1.
  • Options

E-cafc said:

That was one wet night. There was then an "Incident" involving the buffet car, I believe, on the train back which led to a lengthy stop for OB to get on at Havant and a mad rush to get the 12.59 Woolwich train - the last down the Dartford lines - at Waterloo East.
    Haha yes I remember the buffet car incident and people trying to hide the evidence from the police lol. Can remember having to run for the train at Waterloo East to get home, I had school in the morning!
  • Options
    Real Charlton hipsters go to the Bromley game instead !
  • Options
    Loved the 2-1 comeback win midweek in 91/92

Leaburn trademark header and David Whyte Whyte Whyte, great days
  • Options
    Pompey fan in the office tells me that they have played us the most times - more than any other league team !
  • Options

Pompey fan in the office tells me that they have played us the most times - more than any other league team !

Pompey are the team we've played most often in the league (96 times) so I assume the reverse also applies.

Next highest is Middlebrough with 86, then Sunderland (72) and Norwich (70)
  • Options
    Anyone know of places to park for the match?
  • Options

Pompey are the team we've played most often in the league (96 times) so I assume the reverse also applies.

Next highest is Middlebrough with 86, then Sunderland (72) and Norwich (70)
    Surely Huddersfield are in there too?

• Options
    Certainly feels like we've played them 96 times over the last 5 years.
  • Options

Anyone know of places to park for the match?

There'll be plenty of places to park - you might even want to try the main car park beside the ground.