Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friendly at Portsmouth 2nd August

13»

Comments

• Options

Certainly feels like we've played them 96 times over the last 5 years.

Not once in the last 5 years.

• Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    pompey are a football legend on their way back, and hope the "friendly" goes off well...
  • Options
    Got a feeling its gonna be a lot closer than last season.
  • Options
    Anyone going to the other game? (Bromley)
  • Options

Anyone going to the other game? (Bromley)

Nope - no one.Everyone's going to Pompey !
  • Options

kimbo said:

I know its a way away, but I thought i'd share with you some of the other attractions that Pompey has in order that you can arrange your weekend around the footy - and also i know that some of you dont have the highest regard for the City nor its people , so i thought i'd put forward some of the other places for you to visit in this historic and fascinating City.

Firstly, let me state the bleedin, by saying that the closest train station is Fratton, but you still have a circa 10 minute walk to the ground. However, 2 stops on (about 5 mins on train) from Fratton is Portsmouth Harbour, which is where you need to go to get to most of the attractions mentioned below.

Places to visit..
    1) Historic Dockyard.
    You can buy a daily ticket (not cheap, but very much worth it) and you can visit HMS Victory, Mary Rose, HMS Warrior (which i always find fascinating not only as it was the first steel ship , but this was the transition period when they started to use projectiles instead of huge balls as weaponry), Action Stations (great for 10-14 year olds, and also has a Harrier simulator and a Helicopter simulator too).
    Also, as part of your ticket there is a tour of the Harbour on the tourist boat. Little hint, get off at Gunwharf Quays - this is the new Shopping Centre based on an Outlet theme and has, amongst others, outlets for M&S (yes), Oakley,Timberland,Adidas and Nike. Also, nothing better to do on a nice sunny day than to sit outside at All Bar One and watch the boats and girls....sorry.... life walking by. Lots of eating and drinking places at Gunwharf including Jamies Italian,Carluccios,Wagamammas and lots more.
    Also part of your ticket is a little gem of a place that not many people know about which is the Submarine Museum at Haslar Creek in Gosport , where you can get a guided tour of HMS Alliance, which has just re-opened after a 3m lottery funded facelift. Highly recommended. There is a ferry from Gunwharf which will take you there for free as part of ticket.
    http://www.submarine-museum.co.uk/
    You'll also find out the origin of 'Up the Creek without a paddle'!..http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/up_the_creek

If you want to spend Saturday night in the City then the place to stay is The Royal Maritime Club - a charitable trust that is meant to be for old retired sailors but is also opened for anyone else too recently - its not The Hilton, but a functional (very) cheap hotel , a short walk away from PMH station and also Gunwharf....http://www.royalmaritimeclub.co.uk/

Anothe hint, DONT go up Spinnaker Tower - it aint worth it for the money.

Other places include Dickens Birthplace, Brunels Birthplace and many others.

Hope you enjoy, and generally dispel the myth of Portsmouth being a dump !
    End of Portsmouth Tourist Board lecture!

COYR !

I think I am correct in saying the daily ticket actually lasts for a year which means you can go back. Too much to see in 1 day.
    No. you can buy a daily ticket or you can buy a Yearly ticket for not a lot more (think its circa 60 squid for a family yearly ticket - but highly worth it) against circa 30 quid for a daily family ticket.
    The standard adult ticket is £28 and according to their web site is valid for a year. I don't know about this one but a lot of charity-based attractions (Bletchley Park for example) have to do the annual entry thing as part of the gift aid scheme regs.
  • Options
    Anyone got any inside info as to whether we will get to see Moussa tomorrow, or is he out for a while?
  • Options
    I have a spare open return train ticket if anyone is interested, it's a young person's rail card one though. Please PM me.