Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mensa

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Leroy and others are right that this Galtonesque approach to "intelligence" and testing are now widely discredited. However, that does't mean that you should't be proud of your daughter's achievement or that she shouldn't use it on her cv.

I'd say that it is an absolute no-no to use it for applications in psychology, social sciences or related fields, because it is likely to draw more hostility than support. But in wider fields I can see more people thinking of it as positive or at least benign.

I think there's two things to bear in mind though if she includes it in her cv:
    1. Make a point of stressing (as you did here) that it was the school that spotted her talent and proposed she take the test. That should help allay some "superiority" fears.
    2. Make sure that your daughter has a good understanding (and acceptance) of the critique of intelligence testing in case someone challenges her at interview.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Leroy and others are right that this Galtonesque approach to "intelligence" and testing are now widely discredited. However, that does't mean that you should't be proud of your daughter's achievement or that she shouldn't use it on her cv.

I'd say that it is an absolute no-no to use it for applications in psychology, social sciences or related fields, because it is likely to draw more hostility than support. But in wider fields I can see more people thinking of it as positive or at least benign.

I think there's two things to bear in mind though if she includes it in her cv:
    1. Make a point of stressing (as you did here) that it was the school that spotted her talent and proposed she take the test. That should help allay some "superiority" fears.
    2. Make sure that your daughter has a good understanding (and acceptance) of the critique of intelligence testing in case someone challenges her at interview.

I would also add that its an additional, interesting point not a her key point.

• Options

Addickted said:

I know two members of MENSA - they're both bloody idiots to be honest.

Smart, but idiots none the less.

Beat me to it. There is a guy i work with who delights it telling us he is a member of Mensa but he's 41 and still lives with his parents and has the social skills of a brick.
    I could list some people I know that would be totally outperformed by a brick on many social skills criteria! Bricks after all like being right up next to other bricks with just a thin layer of mortar separating them. They are good at bonding, interlocking, providing support, are decorative and don't care what colour, size or shape other bricks are.
  • Options
    Mensa membership seems to equate to outstanding wierdness amongst adults.