Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

8 Signings now

Comments

• Options

Less than half - that's still an awful lot of signings from a single source Paul. If in some cases the signings are better than the ones we let go, the inference is that in other cases they are not... Wouldn't it have been better for the team to have kept the better ones rather than replacing them with inferior players?

Why don't we all do the sensible thing, and wait until we have seen half a dozen league games before making decisions as to whether the club/team has improved?

We have signed 3 standard Liege players
    Liverpool have signed 3 Southampton players
    somehow I doubt there fans are moaning or have been moaning a much as ours
    if there was not connection with SL and we signed 3 of their players would fans be moaning no
    Oh come on mate, now you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. Liverpool have signed two well known England internationals proven at Premier league standard ( who is the third?) , we have signed three blokes we had never heard of until recently.

And if you care to answer my point about inferior players... :-)
    My point was not about if they are well known, my point was people have in the past moaned about the amount of players coming from one club, not that we don't know how good they are, just the fact they come from one club

and although the 3rd has not been confirmed yet Lovren will be a Liverpool player betting has been suspended on him
  • Options

Less than half - that's still an awful lot of signings from a single source Paul. If in some cases the signings are better than the ones we let go, the inference is that in other cases they are not... Wouldn't it have been better for the team to have kept the better ones rather than replacing them with inferior players?

Why don't we all do the sensible thing, and wait until we have seen half a dozen league games before making decisions as to whether the club/team has improved?

if there was not connection with SL and we signed 3 of their players would fans be moaning no
    Oh come on mate, now you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. Liverpool have signed two well known England internationals proven at Premier league standard ( who is the third?) , we have signed three blokes we had never heard of until recently.

My point was not about if they are well known, my point was people have in the past moaned about the amount of players coming from one club, not that we don't know how good they are, just the fact they come from one club

and although the 3rd has not been confirmed yet Lovren will be a Liverpool player betting has been suspended on him
    So another proven Premier league player and international then?

You really, really don't have the tiniest concern that out of the whole wide world of football, our club has decided that three of the players we really need to climb the league just, co-incidentally, currently play for the same club, and just by the wildest chance, it happens to be a club that our owner also holds the purse strings for? Honestly?

I will make a third attempt at asking you about the inferior players... ;-)
  • Options

You really, really don't have the tiniest concern that out of the whole wide world of football, our club has decided that three of the players we really need to climb the league just, co-incidentally, currently play for the same club, and just by the wildest chance, it happens to be a club that our owner also holds the purse strings for? Honestly?

I never once said its coincidence read what I am saying properly
    my whole point was saying why does it matter if 3 of our signings have come from SL

and your inferior players points lets have a proper look shall we

Hamer-Henderson-Could go either way some would argue Hamer was better but some will say Henderson is

Dervite-Bikey-no question Bikey is better

Cort-Ben Haim-Cort very Injury Prone

Poyet-Buyens-Poyet had a good 20 games but who knows Buyens(who did play in the Europa League last season) and has looked good in friendlies might be better and who knows maybe Poyet would of suffered from 2nd season syndrome

Green- Gudmundsson-Do I really need to make a point here

Mark Gower-Franck Moussa- Same as above

Others not really comparable due to positions but added quality upfront with Vetokele(a Champions League player and Tucudean(who has also played in the Europa League)
  • Options
    'Hamer-Henderson-Could go either way some would argue Hamer was better but some will say Henderson is' - eh

'Dervite-Bikey-no question Bikey is better' - eh

Bikey was free for a reason. Hamer was one of the best shot stoppers in the league come the end of the season, so hard to argue Henderson is better without nailing himself a first choice spot anywhere.

I admire your optimism but there's only a few spots in which we have truely upgraded, our CB will only be upgraded due to Joe Gomez making the step up. Our keepers have got alot weaker, strikers may go either way as shown with Reza.

Let's see how it goes, but the way bookies have us priced is spot on, we are untested and untried.
  • Options
    Let's see if Henderson and Pope are better or at least as good as the keepers we saw last season...
    Let's see if Morrison even gets too many games with Bikey and Gomez about.
    And let's see if the front six from Gudmundsson, Vetokele, Reza, Cousins, Buyens, Tucudean Wilson and Jackson bears even the slightest resemblance to last season's struggling squad.
    And let's see if the six first teamers who have come through the academy in the last couple of years are stronger and better for their experiences last season.
    We will have some idea after Peterborough, Colchester and Brentford... And a better view at the end of September after 10 games.

Who would've thought we'd bring all these players through using the established Liege scouting network landing out of contract players?! Who could have predicted we would bring in players from Romania(eastern Europe) and Angola(Africa) ?!
  • Options

'Hamer-Henderson-Could go either way some would argue Hamer was better but some will say Henderson is' - eh

'Dervite-Bikey-no question Bikey is better' - eh

Bikey was free for a reason. Hamer was one of the best shot stoppers in the league come the end of the season, so hard to argue Henderson is better without nailing himself a first choice spot anywhere.

I admire your optimism but there's only a few spots in which we have truely upgraded, our CB will only be upgraded due to Joe Gomez making the step up. Our keepers have got alot weaker, strikers may go either way as shown with Reza.

Let's see how it goes, but the way bookies have us priced is spot on, we are untested and untried.

The bookies haven't moved the odds since before all the signings - I expect they will after a few games if it goes well for us.

• Options
    If you look at the midfield for the first game last season and compare it with what it could be this season, you can only be optimistic
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Normally at this stage of Pre-season I have a gut feeling on how well we'll do the following season, based on performances last year and if and how well we have strengthened the squad. This time last year I was very pessimistic about the season ahead. This season I haven't got a friggin clue!
    It's actually quite exciting to find out whether we have a gem of a manager and whether these signings can actually be as good in the championship as their reputations suggest. I'd be interested to know people's opinions on the 8 signings so far and how confident they are that they will be a success at Charlton.
    Here's mine:
    Buyens and Gudmundson - feel pretty confident both will be top players for us.
    Henderson and Moussa - think both will do ok
    Bikey and Ben Haim - less confident than most of you. Can see Bikey being the better of the two but could be a liability with his temperament.
    Vetekole and Tucudean - Hope I have egg on my face but I'm just not confident that these guys will cut it in the championship.

Before you all moan, it's just my opinion. Based on.....absolutely nothing!

I think of the others Reza will be a better player and expect Wilson and Cousins step up another level. Also reckon Jack Munns will be in and around the first team come Xmas.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

my whole point was saying why does it matter if 3 of our signings have come from SL

Hamer-Henderson-Could go either way some would argue Hamer was better but some will say Henderson is

Poyet-Buyens-Poyet had a good 20 games but who knows Buyens(who did play in the Europa League last season) and has looked good in friendlies might be better and who knows maybe Poyet would of suffered from 2nd season syndrome

Others not really comparable due to positions but added quality upfront with Vetokele(a Champions League player and Tucudean(who has also played in the Europa League)
    Stripe me pink and call me Nora! YOU INFERRED THAT SOME PLAYERS WERE INFERIOR, NOT ME! Look here is what you wrote
    " but IMO the signing we have made in some cases are better than the players we let go" - "IN SOME CASES", that means in others you do not think they are better than the players we let go. I asked you who the players were that you did not think were better than the players we let go and you still have not answered that question.

As for co-incidence, please tell me you are not so stupid as to genuinely not understand what I am saying, but in case you are I will spell it out for you.

The reason we have signed three players from SL is because it suits the chairman's plan, they are clearly not the three best players available in the world that come within our budget to do that job. That is NOT good for CAFC if we are signing players because it suits the chairman's plan, rather than for footballing reasons.

I did also say, lets wait and see...
  • Options
    Do the bookies even monitor our activity of just affiliate the phrase relegation with charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also have this feeling that Buyens will be quality
  • Options
    For me Vetekole will be our star performer this season, he has goals in him and is constantly working off the ball. So we are going to get the Simon Church work rate mixed with much more quality in front of goal, can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Dave2l said:

Do the bookies even monitor our activity of just affiliate the phrase relegation with charlton.

They probably just along these mathematical lines... (Lot of new signings = Relegation for Charlton) + Lets ignore what happened last time they bought in a load of new players

On another note I reckon George Tucudean could be a surprise package for us this season
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Stripe me pink and call me Nora! YOU INFERRED THAT SOME PLAYERS WERE INFERIOR, NOT ME! Look here is what you wrote
    " but IMO the signing we have made in some cases are better than the players we let go" - "IN SOME CASES", that means in others you do not think they are better than the players we let go. I asked you who the players were that you did not think were better than the players we let go and you still have not answered that question.

As for co-incidence, please tell me you are not so stupid as to genuinely not understand what I am saying, but in case you are I will spell it out for you.

The reason we have signed three players from SL is because it suits the chairman's plan, they are clearly not the three best players available in the world that come within our budget to do that job. That is NOT good for CAFC if we are signing players because it suits the chairman's plan, rather than for footballing reasons.

Not sure i fully agree with this AA.

Firstly we don't know what our budget is. Whatever it was, its had £2.4m taken out of it for Ventekele.

Then players like Buyens, Ben Haim and Tucadean are surplus to requirements at SL, that does not mean they are poor players. They are part of the 'network' and if they not needed at their parent club, then it makes sense to loan them to another team within the 'network'. That to me is a football reason.

Both look like they have impressed within training and friendlies. Both seem as though they have the approval and backing of the manager, not just the owner.

This 'plan' didn't work last year, and i understand the worry, but it appears a better standard of player has come in, and this time with the managers full backing.
  • Options

They come to us on free transfers or loans - can you honestly say there are clearly superior players that fit this exact same costing? Certainly not any already playing in England
  • Options

They come to us on free transfers or loans - can you honestly say there are clearly superior players that fit this exact same costing? Certainly not any already playing in England

The OS didn't mention is there were fees or not for GT and TBH so we can't be sure. They didn't say they were free.

Then players like Buyens, Ben Haim and Tucadean are surplus to requirements at SL, that does not mean they are poor players. They are part of the 'network' and if they not needed at their parent club, then it makes sense to loan them to another team within the 'network'. That to me is a football reason.

Both look like they have impressed within training and friendlies. Both seem as though they have the approval and backing of the manager, not just the owner.

This plan didn't work last year, and i understand the worry, but it appears a better standard of player has come in, and this time with the managers full backing.

AA didn't say they were poor players though. I think they look good but we don't know yet.

It makes sense to loan them out/sell them but the question is who does it makes sense for. SL? Certainly but how much does it for CAFC?

AA is making the point that if we didn't have the co-ownership would those same players be moving to us. The answer is, IMO, most likely not. That could be a good thing for CAFC but it is far from clear and as we saw and you yourself said it didn't work that well last time.

• Options
    For all we know TBH, Buyens and Tucudean could yet form the spine of our team for the coming season.
  • Options

The OS didn't mention is there were fees or not for GT and TBH so we can't be sure. They didn't say they were free.

This plan didn't work last year, and i understand the worry, but it appears a better standard of player has come in, and this time with the managers full backing.

AA didn't say they were poor players though. I think they look good but we don't know yet.

It makes sense to loan them out/sell them but the question is who does it makes sense for. SL? Certainly but how much does it for CAFC?

AA is making the point that if we didn't have the co-ownership would those same players be moving to us. The answer is, IMO, most likely not. That could be a good thing for CAFC but it is far from clear and as we saw and you yourself said it didn't work that well last time.

Using the same logic, because the OS hasn't said there were any fees involved we can't assume they were not free transfers....

The transfers have been highlighted as free transfers elsewhere
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No i didn't say he did. I added the poor players bit in relation to the generally poor players we got from them last year, and to try and discourage any presumption that the three we have this season were going to be the same.

And i understand his point and agree with yours. It could be a very good thing for CAFC.

Would we have signed these players with no link to SL?…Like you said no. Would we have likely to have loaned in or purchased the same quality of player?…On paper, i honestly don't think we would have. Buyens has got a good appearance record for a competitive European quality side. Ben Haim brings plenty of experience and is a good squad player. Tucadean is unknown but it appears Peeters is happy with the signing.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity where did we get the figure of 2.4 mill for Vetokele from?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just out of curiosity where did we get the figure of 2.4 mill for Vetokele from?

Danish media
  • Options

Danish media
    I must have missed that one then.
  • Options

Using the same logic, because the OS hasn't said there were any fees involved we can't assume they were not free transfers....

I wasn't assuming either way but you were.

• Options

Danish media
    Sven Claes (Belgian Journo) on twitter stated 3m Euros. He's been spot on with everything RD related so far.
  • Options

Danish media
    Where?

• Options

I'm still available!
  • Options

I'm going by what I've seen and read both on the OS and on other websites reporting on the transfers of the Summer Transfer Window to date, so less assumption than you seem to believe....
  • Options
    Would we be able to afford to sign 8 players within our budget if we didn't use the network. It's logical that network players cost less to us because we probably save on both transfer fees and agent costs.

Only time will tell which of our signings are successes or duds and no club ever gets it right all of the time- even Sir Alex has his fair share of duds! But without the network I doubt whether we could have signed the same number and quality of players for the same overall cost!
  • Options

Danish media
    Sven Claes (Belgian Journo) on twitter stated 3m Euros. He's been spot on with everything RD related so far.
    I am based in Copenhagen and can read Danish. I've just been checking out some of the FC Copenhagen message boards and the general consensus at the time of the sale was that of considerable disappointment at losing their top scorer lessened somewhat by the fact that the fee they received was supposidly somewhere between 25-30 million kroner (2.6-3 million pounds).

I'd be surprised if we paid that much for him to be honest with you.
  • Options

I'm going by what I've seen and read both on the OS and on other websites reporting on the transfers of the Summer Transfer Window to date, so less assumption than you seem to believe....
    But the OS doesn't give any guide to the fees, if any.