Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

8 Signings now

13»

Comments

• Options

Just out of curiosity where did we get the figure of 2.4 mill for Vetokele from?

Danish media
    I must have missed that one then.
    Sven Claes (Belgian Journo) on twitter stated 3m Euros. He's been spot on with everything RD related so far.
    I am based in Copenhagen and can read Danish. I've just been checking out some of the FC Copenhagen message boards and the general consensus at the time of the sale was that of considerable disappointment at losing their top scorer lessened somewhat by the fact that the fee they received was supposidly somewhere between 25-30 million kroner (2.6-3 million pounds).

I'd be surprised if we paid that much for him to be honest with you.
    Their fans believe he went for that much, Belgian media says he went for that much. What makes you think we wouldn't pay that much?
  • Options

Just out of curiosity where did we get the figure of 2.4 mill for Vetokele from?

Danish media
    Sven Claes (Belgian Journo) on twitter stated 3m Euros. He's been spot on with everything RD related so far.
    I am based in Copenhagen and can read Danish. I've just been checking out some of the FC Copenhagen message boards and the general consensus at the time of the sale was that of considerable disappointment at losing their top scorer lessened somewhat by the fact that the fee they received was supposidly somewhere between 25-30 million kroner (2.6-3 million pounds).

Their fans believe he went for that much, Belgian media says he went for that much. What makes you think we wouldn't pay that much?
    No particular reason. I just don't believe that after just one season in the Danish Superliga (albeit playing for the biggest club in Denmark) he would command such a high fee. But if everyone else says otherwise it must be true.
  • Options
    George Tucudean-Standard Liege-Free
    Tal Ben Haim-Standard Liege-Free

Based on Skysports news, normally if there is a fee and it has not been announced they say undisclosed
  • Options

Danish media

Just out of interest flyingkiwi what is the standard that he's been used to in Denmark? How does their top league compare to the Championship?
  • Options

Less than half - that's still an awful lot of signings from a single source Paul. If in some cases the signings are better than the ones we let go, the inference is that in other cases they are not... Wouldn't it have been better for the team to have kept the better ones rather than replacing them with inferior players?

Why don't we all do the sensible thing, and wait until we have seen half a dozen league games before making decisions as to whether the club/team has improved?

We have signed 3 standard Liege players
    Liverpool have signed 3 Southampton players
    somehow I doubt there fans are moaning or have been moaning a much as ours
    if there was not connection with SL and we signed 3 of their players would fans be moaning no
    Oh come on mate, now you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. Liverpool have signed two well known England internationals proven at Premier league standard ( who is the third?) , we have signed three blokes we had never heard of until recently.

And if you care to answer my point about inferior players... :-)
    My point was not about if they are well known, my point was people have in the past moaned about the amount of players coming from one club, not that we don't know how good they are, just the fact they come from one club

and although the 3rd has not been confirmed yet Lovren will be a Liverpool player betting has been suspended on him
    So another proven Premier league player and international then?

You really, really don't have the tiniest concern that out of the whole wide world of football, our club has decided that three of the players we really need to climb the league just, co-incidentally, currently play for the same club, and just by the wildest chance, it happens to be a club that our owner also holds the purse strings for? Honestly?

I will make a third attempt at asking you about the inferior players... ;-)
    I never once said its coincidence read what I am saying properly
    my whole point was saying why does it matter if 3 of our signings have come from SL

and your inferior players points lets have a proper look shall we

Hamer-Henderson-Could go either way some would argue Hamer was better but some will say Henderson is

Dervite-Bikey-no question Bikey is better

Cort-Ben Haim-Cort very Injury Prone

Poyet-Buyens-Poyet had a good 20 games but who knows Buyens(who did play in the Europa League last season) and has looked good in friendlies might be better and who knows maybe Poyet would of suffered from 2nd season syndrome

Green- Gudmundsson-Do I really need to make a point here

Mark Gower-Franck Moussa- Same as above

Others not really comparable due to positions but added quality upfront with Vetokele(a Champions League player and Tucudean(who has also played in the Europa League)
    Stripe me pink and call me Nora! YOU INFERRED THAT SOME PLAYERS WERE INFERIOR, NOT ME! Look here is what you wrote
    " but IMO the signing we have made in some cases are better than the players we let go" - "IN SOME CASES", that means in others you do not think they are better than the players we let go. I asked you who the players were that you did not think were better than the players we let go and you still have not answered that question.

As for co-incidence, please tell me you are not so stupid as to genuinely not understand what I am saying, but in case you are I will spell it out for you.

The reason we have signed three players from SL is because it suits the chairman's plan, they are clearly not the three best players available in the world that come within our budget to do that job. That is NOT good for CAFC if we are signing players because it suits the chairman's plan, rather than for footballing reasons.

I did also say, lets wait and see...
    Not sure i fully agree with this AA.

Firstly we don't know what our budget is. Whatever it was, its had £2.4m taken out of it for Ventekele.

Then players like Buyens, Ben Haim and Tucadean are surplus to requirements at SL, that does not mean they are poor players. They are part of the 'network' and if they not needed at their parent club, then it makes sense to loan them to another team within the 'network'. That to me is a football reason.

Both look like they have impressed within training and friendlies. Both seem as though they have the approval and backing of the manager, not just the owner.

This 'plan' didn't work last year, and i understand the worry, but it appears a better standard of player has come in, and this time with the managers full backing.
    I added the "Within out budget" bit to stop smart arses saying "We can't afford Messi" or some such nonsense Gary. I think that if Bob wants Paulo Trousercough from Athletico Kneesup, and the chairman is saying you are getting Buyens that is not good for CAFC, it may be for "footballing reasons" but not necessarily good reasons for Charlton. The manager isn't going to come out and say the chairman has made me buy/loan these players I didn't want is he?

I too think they are better than January's efforts, all I am doing is adding a note of caution to Pauls blind optimism, and getting a bit cross because he refuses to understand that... ;-)
  • Options

Danish media

No particular reason. I just don't believe that after just one season in the Danish Superliga (albeit playing for the biggest club in Denmark) he would command such a high fee. But if everyone else says otherwise it must be true.
    Fair enough mate. You've seen him more than us, what sort of value would you rate him at? Is he going to be good for us do you think?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ...so this Trousercough geezer we are after then, how tall is he?
  • Options
    All this talk of "blind" and "mindless" optimism cracks me up! Duchatelet and Peeters have secured the services of a set of players who clearly add value to the squad we had in May.
    It's the mindless pessimists who need to chill and take a break ;)
    As far as we can tell the Network enables a handful of players to ply their trade at an appropriate level and for a club like CAFC to fill perhaps 10% of the squad with free players. They are going to be better than those we could source in the UK and cheaper but they are not the mainstay of the club.
    Interesting to see a fee of €3m cited abroad for Vetokele - we will see for ourselves soon enough.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this season, think we might be surprised at how it goes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another winger/striker would be ideal, especially as it looks like Wilson will be playing most games at RB with Solly's lack of game time.
  • Options

Danish media

Just out of interest flyingkiwi what is the standard that he's been used to in Denmark? How does their top league compare to the Championship?
    Its a bit mixed really. Overall the standard is not that high - a bit like the Scottish Premiership perhaps? I see FC Copenhagen as a mid/lower table Premiership team at best. Then there is maybe a handful of teams I would classify as mid/lower Championship level and the rest Div 1 standard. One of the teams recently promoted to the top flight (Hobro IK) aren't event professional and their players still have part time jobs! Their stadium holds only 4,000 fans. I think that's says it all really...
  • Options

Another winger/striker would be ideal, especially as it looks like Wilson will be playing most games at RB with Solly's lack of game time.

Unless BP feels that Loic Nego can do a decent job given the opportunity. Either that or perhaps Gomez/Ben Haim being used as a makeshift RB to allow Wilson a more attacking role in RM? I, personally, would've thought Gudmondsson would play at RM and Harriott/Moussa at LM
  • Options

Danish media

Fair enough mate. You've seen him more than us, what sort of value would you rate him at? Is he going to be good for us do you think?
    Tbh I haven't seen that much of him in action as my adopted Danish team is FC Nordsjaelland but from what my FCK supporting mates say he is a decent acquisition for us. Quite pacey and strong in the air. I would value him at around 1.6-2 million quid.
  • Options

All this talk of "blind" and "mindless" optimism cracks me up! Duchatelet and Peeters have secured the services of a set of players who clearly add value to the squad we had in May.
    It's the mindless pessimists who need to chill and take a break ;)
    As far as we can tell the Network enables a handful of players to ply their trade at an appropriate level and for a club like CAFC to fill perhaps 10% of the squad with free players. They are going to be better than those we could source in the UK and cheaper but they are not the mainstay of the club.
    Interesting to see a fee of €3m cited abroad for Vetokele - we will see for ourselves soon enough.

QED.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nice one Stubbers. Why didnt the OP include Ansah and Cumberbatch though?
    Edit; Presumably Development Squad :-)
  • Options

I've done a new avatar pic for Paulie and Seriously_Red... no need to thank me lads.

I'm now worried about the ratio of wall to sign in my avatar pic! :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've done a new avatar pic for Paulie and Seriously_Red... no need to thank me lads.

It needs a little more of a rose tint to it and some blinkers added :-)
  • Options
    But lads, I've been giving you the toned down version! All you need is a bit of belief ;)
  • Options
    Our fans with rose tinted glasses I find more annoying than getting GBH of the ears from a palice dude.
  • Options

Our fans with rose tinted glasses I find more annoying than getting GBH of the ears from a palice dude.

oh that is mean

@seriously_red‌ obviously cares a great deal and his posts are interesting. Personally, I dont agree with the transfermarkt references but it's hardly the world's worst crime to use statistics in an attempt to inspire some optimism and belief for the forthcoming season.

I know begger all about these new signings. Reports from those that have seen the friendlies so far seem to suggest Tucudean has been the stand out so far. And he was the most underwhelming signing in the eyes of most!

We won't know until 10 games in how these guys are going to adapt.

I hope Pope starts and Gomez gets a chance early doors. I pray Solly ' s knee gives him less pain and he goes back to the superhero we are accustomed to.

I think Tal Ben Haim might surprise a few as he looks fit and lean and is an uncompromising no holds barred centre back.

Moussa, Gudmunsson and Vetekole all look to have a pit of pizzazz to their game and will hopefully inspire a more exciting style then we have been served up recently.

All of these opinions are based on nothing more than a wet finger in the air, trying to gauge which way the wind is blowing.

What's wrong with some optimism ahead of a new season?

COYR
  • Options
    Thanks for the moral support @calydon_road‌ . Not referring to recent posts on this thread but some of the retorts this summer have been either incoherent or simply insulting! That reflects quite badly upon their ability to put a case in favour of their mindless pessimism. One poster clearly didn't realise that he was violently agreeing (!) with me in that the quality of club management and lady luck (and referees) play a major part in any season... But he then went on to argue that a 74.9% correlation between estimated squad value and league position was irrelevant statistical nonsense.

It's actually very simple: if transfermarkt is vaguely accurate and if the rumoured fee of €3m for Vetokele is true (and fair value), then we are all in for a treat!

This is Charlton so no guarantees lol - the first ten games will indeed give us a good idea - bring it on!
  • Options

I'd also like another centre back now Lennon has gone to Cambridge. By all accounts Gomez looks good, and I'm sure will get game time, but at the mo we only have Morro, Bikey & TBH with first team experience.

I haven't seen Gomez, but a lot of people rate him. Do people feel he could step in this season and do as well as Poyet did? If so then we might not need another centre back