Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any tips on things to do in Venice?

Going there next week for my 10th anniversary so I am wondering if anyone that has been there and can give me a few tips on cool things - maybe off the beaten track - that I can treat the Mrs to.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Watching with interest as I have booked to take the mrs there for her 30th in September!
  • Go on a gondola ride mate, no one ever does that ;-)
  • watching this one with interest as I'm doing going there next year for our Pearl.

***awaits necklace reference from Dave Mehmet***
  • Boat trip round Murano, Borello and Torcello is nice. A nice lunch on the latter at the Devil's Bridge. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1647571-d939200-Reviews-Osteria_Al_Ponte_del_Diavolo-Torcello_Veneto.html

Just walking around at night after the day trippers have headed off, is a treat.

Gondolas are overpriced, my dad was from Venice and honestly don't know of a single family member that has been on one.

Use the water bus to get around and have a go on the vaparetto (canal crossing boats).

For something a bit off piste look here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187870-Activities-Venice_Veneto.html, maybe a cooking school, rowing the canals or photo tour, depending on your likes.

When are you going?
  • We are going on Wednesday 30th morning and staying until Sunday. Staying here tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187870-d1158623-Reviews-Centurion_Palace-Venice_Veneto.html which seems a good spot. Really excited but having never been there I am not sure what to expect.

I know you can do a helicopter flight for €70 which lasts 7 minutes. A big waste of money but I am sure it looks stunning from up there.

I was thinking of a guided tour too - just for a little bit of the history etc. On tripadvisor they seem to be the most popular thing on there

• Eat a Cornetto.
  • We're staying on the Lido away from the hustle and bustle.
    Seems so expensive (or rather poor Value for money) to stay central.
  • Just walk and walk. Go in every church even the ones that look naff from the outside.
  • Have lunch on the terrace at Trattoria Altanella on Giudecca. I've lost the phone number but your hotel will be able to find it.

Giudecca also a must-visit for the view it offers of Venice proper.
  • if you fancy a change of scenery, Verona is an hour or so away on the train
  • Sponsored links:

• Take a couple of pegs with you if it's hot
  • Bring a plastic bottle, you can get refills from the draught wine shops, 1L for €2.20.

Wander the alleys, go down dead ends, soak up the atmosphere, Venice is one of those places where the whole city is the sight, rather than somewhere where you walk between sights.

St Mark's is much nicer in the evening, you can watch the café bands playing, and the day trippers will have all gone.
  • Boat trip round Murano, Borello and Torcello is nice. A nice lunch on the latter at the Devil's Bridge. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1647571-d939200-Reviews-Osteria_Al_Ponte_del_Diavolo-Torcello_Veneto.html

Just walking around at night after the day trippers have headed off, is a treat.

Gondolas are overpriced, my dad was from Venice and honestly don't know of a single family member that has been on one.

Use the water bus to get around and have a go on the vaparetto (canal crossing boats).

For something a bit off piste look here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187870-Activities-Venice_Veneto.html, maybe a cooking school, rowing the canals or photo tour, depending on your likes.

When are you going?

You can't really go to Venice without having the Gondola experience though!

We were quoted 80 euros for me and the wife (last October) so we waited for the next couple to walk up and asked them if they wanted to share, bingo, 40 euros is a lot better!

Water taxis the only real way of getting around, but plenty of them and you can get off and on wherever you like.
  • Sod the expense, you can't really go to Venice and not go on a gondala. Boat trip to Murano island is worth doing as is sitting outside at a bar in St Marks in the evening, taking in the bands.
  • Sod the expense, you can't really go to Venice and not go on a gondala. Boat trip to Murano island is worth doing as is sitting outside at a bar in St Marks in the evening, taking in the bands.

I'm sure this is the island where you can go into the glass making factories and watch them making glass models - they were making horses when I went.
  • make sure you take a trip in a gondola,-

I'm sure this is the island where you can go into the glass making factories and watch them making glass models - they were making horses when I went.
    Yes, it is
  • It'll be pretty hot Swis, so I'd suggest going Italian, get up and do stuff early before the day trippers show up, have a big lunch and get hammered, have a bit of a kip then head out when it's cooled a bit. Your hotel is plum central, so you'll be able to get to whatever you want quite easily.
  • Suss out where to eat before you go. There are lots of bad, overpriced restaurants so you don't want to land in one of those.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty expensive but take a water taxi from the airport - amazing way to arrive at your hotel/in the city - will be about 100 euros for a ten minute or so trip....but - to my mind - totally worth it for that 'James Bond' feeling ;-)
  • Suss out where to eat before you go. There are lots overpriced restaurants so you don't want to land in one of those.

Any recommendations AA? Looking for somewhere special (without being redicliously expensive) for my girlfriends 30th.

Cheers.
  • Pretty expensive but take a water taxi from the airport - amazing way to arrive at your hotel/in the city - will be about 100 euros for a ten minute or so trip....but - to my mind - totally worth it for that 'James Bond' feeling ;-)

We did that; the only downside was the pretty boy driving it. He could have done 'posing' as a career.
  • Suss out where to eat before you go. There are lots overpriced restaurants so you don't want to land in one of those.

Any recommendations AA? Looking for somewhere special (without being redicliously expensive) for my girlfriends 30th.

Cheers.
    'Fraid not, but TripAdvisor can be your friend here. Just treat with caution.
  • Read The Comfort Of Strangers ... that'll get you in the mood to enjoy Venice

I read it's €110 but I am probably going to go for it because, as you say, it's the special touches that count!

• Take a LOT of money and unless you are prepared to spend it eat and drink off St Marks and the main drags. It was all going off in a cafe when I went after the owner tried to charge €30 for a sandwich and soft drink (and this was years ago!). They should tell you the prices before you order and don't be afraid to walk away if they are taking the pee, which many of them are. My missus loves the place and it is different from anywhere else but unless you are minted you have to keep an eye on the pennies.

Trips wise, Verona is also lovely as are the island nearby as others have recommended. Don't know if they still do it or it's your thing but we did a evening concert of Vivaldi with the musicians in 17th century costume in some chapel which was better than it sounds...
  • Been there many times so if you can see the Jewish quarter, the Islands, go to the top of the Bell Tower, enjoy the place at night when all the day trippers have gone and you have Venice to yourself-believe me it will be quiet and romantic if you want that! Yes, its expensive but eat anywhere near the Santa Lucia Station and the prices come down but the food quality goes up! Plus, if you want a gondala ride go late at night after 9pm and you may get a good deal-we did as it was the fella's last trip for the evening.
  • Boat trip round Murano, Borello and Torcello is nice.

Agree on the boat idea, but would also suggest Mazzorbo & Burano. A regular local water bus will take you there - the two are connected by a footbridge so get off at Mazzorbo & walk over to Burano.

and generally just don't follow the crowds - some people seem to treat Venice as a procession, seem frightened to head down a side alley & see what's there. For me, it's half the fun, sure you'll get a bit lost but you 'll eventually figure out where you are, and the quieter back streets have all the character and few of the tourists
  • Go to Verona and Sirmione - Lake Garda and get completely lost in Venice. Also go to Café Florian in St Marks Square, yes it is expensive but so worth it