Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any tips on things to do in Venice?

Comments

• Options

Eat a Cornetto.

Just one
  • Options
    Agree with Kimbo, go to Verona, great city- roman remains & Romeo an Juliet. Sirmione wonderful as well. Not sure about the Cafe Florian, a year ago a coffee was 12 euro's!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Pretty expensive but take a water taxi from the airport - amazing way to arrive at your hotel/in the city - will be about 100 euros for a ten minute or so trip....but - to my mind - totally worth it for that 'James Bond' feeling ;-)

I read it's €110 but I am probably going to go for it because, as you say, it's the special touches that count!

...heard the one about the venetian streetwalker - she drowned!
  • Options

We're staying on the Lido away from the hustle and bustle.
    Seems so expensive (or rather poor Value for money) to stay central.

There'a nice Lido in Charlton you could take her to

http://www.better.org.uk/leisure/charlton-lido

:-)
  • Options
    Don't join the queue to go up the tower in St Marks Sq, Catch the water bus to the island opposite and go up the Clock tower of Basilica San Giorgio Maggiore, the view is better no queues and half the cost. You can also get the Red line water bus from Marco Polo Airport to St Marks Square for about 25euros return it takes about an hour but the route is via the islands.
  • Options
    So Venice this weekend with the kids (don't ask), can Charlton Lifers rise to that challenge?

Serious suggestions most welcome :)
  • Options
    going on Boxing Day for a couple of nights, so watching with interest.
  • Options
    I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Harry's Bar - but take a wad of euros as its very expensive. I walked in, sat down, looked at the prices and walked out again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    razil said:

So Venice this weekend with the kids (don't ask), can Charlton Lifers rise to that challenge?

Serious suggestions most welcome :)

I'd swap a trip to Venice for an away day in Huddersfield ANY day .

:-)

• Options
    Venice + kids? Oh dear :-(
  • Options
    Ice cream, pizzas in back streets, get vaporettos everywhere, in fact stay on them!. The islands might stir a cheer, especially in Murano if the glass blowers are strutting their stuff. Watching pigeons in Piazza San Marco. It's really not a kids place but if they are prepared to walk round the maze of passageways, ( it usually takes one ice cream per hour) you may even enjoy yourselves.
  • Options
    There's a beach on the lido island, also a big kids playground there
  • Options

Pretty expensive but take a water taxi from the airport - amazing way to arrive at your hotel/in the city - will be about 100 euros for a ten minute or so trip....but - to my mind - totally worth it for that 'James Bond' feeling ;-)

Ours picked us up from the Hotel, did a little tour around the canals and then 'opened the throttles' for the trip to the airport.

100 Euros and worth every penny. Absolutely beautiful wooden decked shiny speed boat and as CC said, you feel like James Bond.

• Options
    4 day pass for the Vaporetto is a real bargain, depends upon where you are staying but Lido is infinitely cheaper to eat. Guggenheim museum is good, full of "borrowed" art, Il Basilica St Marco has to be done, the golden screen blew me away first time I went at 11 years of age. Rialto is best seen by water than on foot. Lovely city, Jewish Quarter is quite humbling as well. And just round the back of The Doges Palace is a small restaurant that does the best bolognese meatballs I've ever had. Enjoy:)
  • Options
    Hold ya nose it can chuck up
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    managed to have a great time with the kids in Venice, thanks for all the advice. They loved exploring, and the boat trips, even a bit of the odd church and Palace, not much art tho :D

It's such a fantastic location (very pricey though) so well worth it.
  • Options

Been there many times so if you can see the Jewish quarter, the Islands, go to the top of the Bell Tower, enjoy the place at night when all the day trippers have gone and you have Venice to yourself-believe me it will be quiet and romantic if you want that! Yes, its expensive but eat anywhere near the Santa Lucia Station and the prices come down but the food quality goes up! Plus, if you want a gondala ride go late at night after 9pm and you may get a good deal-we did as it was the fella's last trip for the evening.

I think getting on top of the bell tower at the end of the night is part of his plans already.
  • Options
    Off to Venice for 4 days tomorrow. As always, CL comes up trumps with info.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all been said above but do eat in the back streets where the locals go = better food at much better prices. Just spend your time walking, do more walking and getting 'lost', that's the real Venice.
  • Options
    swimming.
  • Options
    Off in early February, I love Italy and am really looking forward to this. I enjoy a bit of a wander and a tactical bierra stop.

109 for 3 nights in a 4* hotel with breakfast and flights from Gatwick, i'm quids in already.
  • Options
    Head to the back streets for your evening meal, some excellent restaurants around. I really enjoyed the water taxi to the Airport.
  • Options
    Wear a gassmask and keep a big bag of pot-pourri strung around your neck in case you ever have to take the gasmask off.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Solidgone said:

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Harry's Bar - but take a wad of euros as its very expensive. I walked in, sat down, looked at the prices and walked out again!

The Mrs said the one thing she 'had' to do in Venice was go to Harry's Bar. So off we went. She had her Bellini and I had a Diet Coke.

I'm still weeping now looking at that bill...

Other than that, Venice is bloody marvellous. Would love to go back there again sometime, so beautiful.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Solidgone said:

The Mrs said the one thing she 'had' to do in Venice was go to Harry's Bar. So off we went. She had her Bellini and I had a Diet Coke.

Other than that, Venice is bloody marvellous. Would love to go back there again sometime, so beautiful.

Once got severed a pizza in Venice which was clearly made from a frozen base.
    Couple of Italians I were with were not impressed to say the least!
  • Options
    Jarman said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Solidgone said:

Once got severed a pizza in Venice which was clearly made from a frozen base.
    Couple of Italians I were with were not impressed to say the least!
    getting severed is never a pleasant experience

• Options
    Bump, any additional to the above advice / places to go etc gratefully received.

Staying near St Marks Square.

Particularly interested in any restaurants worth visiting that isn't going to see me washing dishes to pay for!

What's a fair price to pay for a gondola? I'm not the best at haggling
  • Options
    Doesn't matter where you stay to be honest as I found it so easy to simply walk around the whole place. Do that and find the restaurants down the side streets rather than the ones in St Marks Square or on the river.

Think I paid about €120 for a gondola ride - it's expensive.

Get a book of tickets at the airport for the water taxis, you can then just jump on and off if your little legs can't take the walking.

Bridge of Sighs and Rialto Bridge are both decent but just wander around and you'll enjoy yourself.