Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why holidaying in UK is good...

Comments

• Options
    Just been to The Lake District. Beautiful place and plenty to do but very expensive, especially coming from Thailand. Also visited the Peak District.

I can see why people go abroad for their holidays. I charge 20 quid a night in peak season for a room. You are talking three or four times that here for something of similar standard unless you can get into a Travelodge or Premier Inn at their promotional prices.

• Options
    Go boating on the Norfolk broads... We used Blakes holidays and had a great time, norwich,great yarmouth plus other towns n villages on route too.... Look into it...
  • Options

Isn't the idea of a holiday to get away from this country for a bit and see some of the world? Knowing this place you would spend your trip stuck inside as it chucked it down for two weeks ( which is what happened the only time I ever went to Cornwall).

Most people see 'this country' as the town or city they were born in and have lived ever since. As others have mentioned - the Peaks, the Lakes, Cornwall, North Wales, and especially Scotland are simply stunning (Highlands and Islands in particular). There are beaches up the north east coast past Inverness that would rival anything in the world - and the scenery is breathtaking. What's more, if the sun isn't shining there's plenty of other things to do.

But if it's sun you crave and/or have small children then fair enough, no guarantees here.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Here's a link to my mate's place... It's fully booked through August am afraid, but would definitely recommend the area.. @Clem_Snide‌ - I'll ask him about mates rates/advance bookings when he replies to my text! http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8145317
  • Options
    Devon Dorset Cornwall, all great places to visit with kids and most pub restaurants will let you take your dog in.
    Also Monkey world in Dorset is great to visit for the kids.

http://www.monkeyworld.org/home.php
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Your kids are 13 and 14 and never holidayed in this country? Whenever I go down to Lulworth Cove my sister always asks me if i remember coming here with mum and dad.

Will they say that about Sharm el Sheikh?

But Curb_It, why wouldnt they say that about Sharm El Sheikh?
  • Options
    Walking/hiking is not a holiday - especially if you are a kid.

keeping them active is fine, but a long walk.....
  • Options
    If you have kids under 12yrs then i would think uk holidays are best, as the evening entertainment/ kids clubs and amusement arcades are more appealing than abroad.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Curb_It said:

Your kids are 13 and 14 and never holidayed in this country? Whenever I go down to Lulworth Cove my sister always asks me if i remember coming here with mum and dad.

Will they say that about Sharm el Sheikh?

But Curb_It, why wouldnt they say that about Sharm El Sheikh?
    Because by the time they've grown up they could have been there 10 times and its bloody ugly.

I remember the first time i drove in Lulworth... i couldnt get over how beautiful it was. maybe 13/14 year olds wont appreciate that now but they will.

You got to see some of your own country surely. Best ever holiday as a kid was a week on the Norfolk Broads with my parents. Great memories.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

If you have kids under 12yrs then i would think uk holidays are best, as the evening entertainment/ kids clubs and amusement arcades are more appealing than abroad.

Try telling that to my mates 10 and 12 year olds who have been to the golden sunny beach, a couple of water parks, swam with dolphins, been quad biking and karting this week here in Algarve... Sunshine dawn to dusk. Like most kids (sadly) they are happy to sit twiddling their thumbs on the I-pad in the bar of an evening after eating in a different, reasonably priced (€ 16 a head) quality restaurant every night. Although they are bright enough to join in conversations, enjoy watching the live bands in many bars and take part in the quiz too.

Under 5s are the ones that don't benefit from going abroad.

Britain is wonderful, so much to see and do in such a small space, but you do need the £££ to do it.
  • Options
    What about a boat on the Norfolk broads? If the weather is good it is a fantastic holiday.
  • Options

Try telling that to my mates 10 and 12 year olds who have been to the golden sunny beach, a couple of water parks, swam with dolphins, been quad biking and karting this week here in Algarve... Sunshine dawn to dusk. Like most kids (sadly) they are happy to sit twiddling their thumbs on the I-pad in the bar of an evening after eating in a different, reasonably priced (€ 14 a head) quality restaurant every night. Although they are bright enough to join in conversations, enjoy watching the live bands in many bars and take part in the quiz too.

Britain is wonderful, so much to see and do in such a small space, but you do need the £££ to do it.
    We'll be out there ourselves in 4 weeks, can't wait.
  • Options
    I will be going down near Torquay for 5 days in a couple of weeks and even though going to be staying with the wifes Aunt and Uncle know will probably spend a fortune whilst being held hostage to the weather.

For me, the value is abroad where the resorts are all set up for the tourists to have a good time.

The cost of doing stuff in this country is horrendous.
    I want Algarves mate to take me on holiday !!
  • Options
    Last yr we did budget caravan holiday in Wales and I and the family loved it and it cost next to nothing

This yr I am hiring a motor home and seeing where we end up every couple of days
  • Options
    Agree about the memories, my boy still talks about Lizard Point in Cornwall as we stayed in the Youth Hostel there years ago. And we had a fantastic stay in Whitby. And the summer before last I took them up on Kinder Scout and I got stuck in a peat bog and we were out for 9 hours. They didn't particularly enjoy that one but they still talk about it and never want to go near a peat bog again.
  • Options

Try telling that to my mates 10 and 12 year olds who have been to the golden sunny beach, a couple of water parks, swam with dolphins, been quad biking and karting this week here in Algarve... Sunshine dawn to dusk. Like most kids (sadly) they are happy to sit twiddling their thumbs on the I-pad in the bar of an evening after eating in a different, reasonably priced (€ 14 a head) quality restaurant every night. Although they are bright enough to join in conversations, enjoy watching the live bands in many bars and take part in the quiz too.

We'll be out there ourselves in 4 weeks, can't wait.
    West Sussex Addick is out at the same time - if you are around Albufeira come and say hello!
  • Options
    I only went abroad on family holidays twice before I was 15 - once to Belgium/Disneyland Paris (parents drove there) and once to Spain (flew out), both times staying at a family friend's holiday house. Otherwise Summer holidays were either going to Scotland to see my parents' family, Centre Parcs (or equivalent) or the South/South West (Bournemouth, Cornwall). Having been abroad nearly every year since I stopped going on holiday with my parents, I can see the appeal of doing family holidays in the UK - it's cheap and cheerful, far less stress, you can go back when you want to and you know you can see a doctor or go to A&E when you need to. Plus as a kid I didn't really care if I was swimming in the Hebrides or swimming off the coast of the Med and I have fond memories of UK-based family holidays. Plenty of ace locations in the UK as well - Scotland, Cornwall/Devon, the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, Norfolk etc, plus loads of holiday villages on lakes or in forests (Centre Parcs and its cheaper imitators) which offer plenty of stuff to distract kids whilst adults relax, play golf or whatever.
  • Options
    Ive been travelling the world (Mostly Europe) for the past 10 years on my own each summer... When we won League One I did the majority of away matches and one of the best parts was seeing England (albeit through a Coach window) and what it had to offer (Especially when going to Carlisle and the Lake District).

Ive now got a partner (Who isnt a fan of flying) who has got me into Camping and even though our first trip back in May was a trial run (went to Hastings) I cant wait for our next trip in September when we go to the Peak District
  • Options
    http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/

This is an excellent site for booking short breaks or holidays in the UK. Me and the Mrs have stayed at some stunning places that we never knew existed. All very cheap too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    All of the above are excellent recommendations. Boating on the Broads, Thames or Severn are recommended if you have kids. It keeps them busy and involved and they won't get bored so quickly. I would also add Guernsey to the list (haven't been to Jersey, so I can't comment) for a really relaxing and traditional holiday.
  • Options
    Went to the Isle of Wight last year, a great place to visit.
  • Options

All of the above are excellent recommendations. Especially the boating is good if you have kids, because it keeps them busy and involved and they won't get bored so quickly. I would also add Guernsey to the list (haven't been to Jersey, so I cant comment), for a really relaxing and traditional holiday.

Guernsey's lovely, was working there last week. Whilst not quite as pretty, there's more for the kids in Jersey.
  • Options
    Why not compromise, get the pooch chipped and head for North West France. Loads of choices, good beaches, nice food and drink. We like Deauville/Trouville, get the lads playing petanque but don't be surprised if they beat you. Bon chance.
  • Options
    You won't be treated like a criminal and subject to invasive searches at an airport by either human or machine. You also won't be held hostage by airport workers deciding not to go to work in whatever country.

Less stress in other words and (unless you go to the centre of London) the majority of people speak your own language.

Not saying "abroad" is bad at all but we do have a knack for underselling ourselves in this country which, with the exception of the English football and cricket teams, is largely unjustified.
  • Options
    http://www.loveventnor.co.uk/
    Where I live, beautiful and especially so in this weather. Ferry not cheap though during school holidays. If like the park home type resort then Nodes Point park resorts is a beautiful setting over at St Helens. Walkway down to the beach, had lunch on the beach at the weekend and would not have wanted to be anywhere else :-)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Not saying "abroad" is bad at all but we do have a knack for underselling ourselves in this country which, with the exception of the English football and cricket teams, is largely unjustified.

The funny thing is the people who claim that the UK has no decent places to go on holiday have clearly never gone.

I'd also like to add there's a lot to be said about a canal boat holiday. Perfect if you enjoy a pint.
  • Options
    The comments on this thread demonstrates that holidaying in the UK or abroad is a matter of personal choice and budget. I had a lovely break near Bude, Cornwall earlier this year and am off to The Maldives next week. Wherever you guys choose to go this year, have a good time!
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

LenGlover said:

The funny thing is the people who claim that the UK has no decent places to go on holiday have clearly never gone.

I'd also like to add there's a lot to be said about a canal boat holiday. Perfect if you enjoy a pint.
    A pint is certainly what Sunbury enjoys..... @sunbury-addick‌ if you do decide on a boating trip, then give me a shout!
  • Options
    i have lived/stayed all over cornwall and it's imo the best bit 'o blighty!