Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why holidaying in UK is good...

124»

Comments

• edited July 2014

And i wouldnt mind, the original poster asks us why so we all go to the effort of sharing our stories and then he tell us his son might consider a long weekend in the New Forest but not for his main holiday - we got told by a teenager.

Oh well, i do love holidaying in this country. But thats because Im lucky enough to have lived in HK for 3 years and australia for 1 and in between travlled all over New Zealand, Thailand, Philipines, fiji an many many more... have i mentioned this at all? I might have done, once or twice... still managed to find plenty of brits in those places tho. The pesky feckers.

Anyway must crack on, and go home and pack, got a ferry to ireland to catch tomorrow!
  • edited July 2014

If you have kids under 12yrs then i would think uk holidays are best, as the evening entertainment/ kids clubs and amusement arcades are more appealing than abroad.

Try telling that to my mates 10 and 12 year olds who have been to the golden sunny beach, a couple of water parks, swam with dolphins, been quad biking and karting this week here in Algarve... Sunshine dawn to dusk. Like most kids (sadly) they are happy to sit twiddling their thumbs on the I-pad in the bar of an evening after eating in a different, reasonably priced (€ 16 a head) quality restaurant every night. Although they are bright enough to join in conversations, enjoy watching the live bands in many bars and take part in the quiz too.

Under 5s are the ones that don't benefit from going abroad.

Britain is wonderful, so much to see and do in such a small space, but you do need the £££ to do it.
    Yes, and you cant guarantee the weather, you pay too much compared to what you get and sometimes it is just nice going somewhere completely different. We normally go to the Carbbean and are off to Cuba on Wednesday. Won't cost us much more - possibly less than if we went somewhere in this country when you factor in the high cost of accomodation and meals out etc...
  • edited July 2014

I think comparing a UK holiday to a classic 'Brits Abroad' trip to somewhere like Spain, Greece and Turkey isn't necessarily the best way of doing it. Whilst I stated that I wouldn't choose to spend a week or 2 off work in the UK, that kind of foreign holiday is my idea of hell even more. The whole all inclusive around some dirty pool after piling on a Ryanair flight from Luton would make the Lake District seem like a dream.

10 days or 2 weeks off work and that's a chance to see the world for the family I say (assuming you can see the UK at weekends / short breaks). A road trip through the Rockies, stopping off in Vegas, drive to Disneyland for the kids, then up PCH is my favourite family holiday. I want to see Japan and New Zealand in the next few years (have family in both) - it just feels like you truly get away for a change of scene when you leave these shores behind (Spain doesn't count because it is full of Brits anyway). It doesnt mean that the UK isn't a nice place to live (it is!) but when we work hard all year, why use the time away to live the same life, eat the same food, experience the same culture (whether in the UK or a Brits Abroad Europe trip). We only get one life - see the world I say.

Your're right Damo, i've no idea why some people would do the £1-2k family holiday to Spain or Turkey when they could be doing the £10k all American dream :-)

£10k?!?! Where do you think I stay? Vegas with the kids doesn't have to mean Penthouse at the Bellagio.

£2.5k on flights. Stay in chain hotels along the way. Job done.

Or we once stayed in a lodge in the Smoky Mountains with the family and when you consider the size of it and scenery, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than staying in a cottage in Devon.

Yes we spend a bit on holidays, but not as excessive as you think.
  • not digging you mate, just can't see how you can do it for much cheaper on for example what you set out (based on a family of 4). 2-3k on flights, then 14 nights of hotels, fuel, food, entry passes, spending money etc, i don't think i would be too far off.

Mate is off to Florida for a fortnight soon, and reckons he won't see much change out of 10k once everything is added up for the four of them.
  • not digging you mate, just can't see how you can do it for much cheaper on for example what you set out (based on a family of 4). 2-3k on flights, then 14 nights of hotels, fuel, food, entry passes, spending money etc, i don't think i would be too far off.

Mate is off to Florida for a fortnight soon, and reckons he won't see much change out of 10k once everything is added up for the four of them.

I know what you mean I got a quote of just under 20k for 14 nights all inclusive disney hotel plus the theme parks planes car hire insurances etc for the 6 of us, ridiculous! I'll stick with butlins lol!
  • I think holidays in this country are over priced, £400 b&b centre parks,

Just came back from Ibiza, 4 nights half board £420, 33c every day and clear sky's

You ever been to Centre Parcs?
    I think its the bollocks.
  • If you fancy North Devon there are two weeks available in August here for £450 for an apartment for 7 nights http://www.tyrellahouse.co.uk/selfcatering-holiday-devon-costs.htm
  • I think holidays in this country are over priced, £400 b&b centre parks,

Just came back from Ibiza, 4 nights half board £420, 33c every day and clear sky's

You ever been to Centre Parcs?
    I think its the bollocks.
    Centre parcs for 5 days next week is £800.
  • I think comparing a UK holiday to a classic 'Brits Abroad' trip to somewhere like Spain, Greece and Turkey isn't necessarily the best way of doing it. Whilst I stated that I wouldn't choose to spend a week or 2 off work in the UK, that kind of foreign holiday is my idea of hell even more. The whole all inclusive around some dirty pool after piling on a Ryanair flight from Luton would make the Lake District seem like a dream.

10 days or 2 weeks off work and that's a chance to see the world for the family I say (assuming you can see the UK at weekends / short breaks). A road trip through the Rockies, stopping off in Vegas, drive to Disneyland for the kids, then up PCH is my favourite family holiday. I want to see Japan and New Zealand in the next few years (have family in both) - it just feels like you truly get away for a change of scene when you leave these shores behind (Spain doesn't count because it is full of Brits anyway). It doesnt mean that the UK isn't a nice place to live (it is!) but when we work hard all year, why use the time away to live the same life, eat the same food, experience the same culture (whether in the UK or a Brits Abroad Europe trip). We only get one life - see the world I say.

Your're right Damo, i've no idea why some people would do the £1-2k family holiday to Spain or Turkey when they could be doing the £10k all American dream :-)

We can't afford it as we pay an extra thirty quid a week on our shopping bill to pay for the advertising campaigns.
  • Yep. Let's turn a discussion about holidays into sly personal digs. That comment is so stupid and inaccurate I don't even know how to respond.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been centre parks. Once you add everything up you could have gone to the canaries for the same price in a half decent hotel.

Mrs has just booked a weekend in new forest in a caravan. Can't say I'm too excited but ill give it a go.
  • Couldn't think of anything worse than holidaying in uk
  • Ledge said:

Couldn't think of anything worse than holidaying in uk

What about a broken leg?
  • Ledge said:

Lung cancer?
  • Ledge said:

Holidaying in Benidorm perhaps ??
  • Ledge said:

Paper cut
  • Ledge said:

Some people have no choice, I for one, even without the special needs aspect would rather my kids got a holiday every year and we stay in uk than go somewhere exotic and go once every few years. Also apart from lounging on the beach all day and clubbing at night what does an abroad holiday (not including disney land/world) offer young children much prefer to go to butlins as they are guaranteed to have things to do all day and all night.
  • Ledge said:

Supporting Millwall?
  • Shes booked Majorca, calas de mallorca ?