Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon Cort announces retirement

13»

Comments

• Options
    Whatever happened to Testimonials? If there was one retiring player that we should have a testimonial for I'd say it was Leon Cort!
  • Options
    Good luck in your retirement @cortster .
  • Options
    Good luck to him, one of the best in the air I've seen in recent years. Anyone know if he's been doing his coaching badges? Seems like the sort of role he would suit given the respect he garners
  • Options
    One of my favourite players of the last couple of seasons.
    Good luck Leon and thanks.
  • Options

Know he posted on here a while ago, best of luck to you Leon if you're reading..

Interesting he had the opportunity to continue playing, but opted to call it a day.

Really rated him, thought he was absolutely quality for us.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/11354629.Leon_Cort_confirms_retirement_and_will_not_be_coming_back_to_Southend_United/

Am I being blind or does that article not even mention his spell with us? we really are DEEPLY DEEPLY unfashionable to even utter our name aren't we?!
  • Options
    Good luck Leon , I agree when fit he has been our best centre back over the past three years .

But I was surprised he tried to continue.

I saw the U21's play Palace at Tooting and Mitcham's ground when he was making his comeback and he lasted 40 minutes . I thought then that was the last time I would see him play . I was surprised then 2 weeks later to see him on the bench for the first team against Yeovil and come on to play a part in repelling the Glovers late onslaught.
  • Options
    Liked Cort done a very good job in our promotion push when Taylor was dropped. Unfortunatly injuries played a part in what could have been a better career.

Good luck (didnt know he posted on ere)
  • Options
    All been said above but a proper, body-on-the-line centre half who will always be fondly thought of in these parts after stepping in to help us over the 100 points mark. Good luck Leon.
  • Options
    Totally agree with all the above. Best of luck Leon you wore our shirt with pride.
  • Options
    All the best Leon.

You were a good solid player for us and your other clubs.

You should take great pride in your career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedMist said:

Know he posted on here a while ago, best of luck to you Leon if you're reading..

Interesting he had the opportunity to continue playing, but opted to call it a day.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/11354629.Leon_Cort_confirms_retirement_and_will_not_be_coming_back_to_Southend_United/

Am I being blind or does that article not even mention his spell with us? we really are DEEPLY DEEPLY unfashionable to even utter our name aren't we?!
    - He played more games for Palace during his peak
    - He's a Southend legend
    - He helped Stoke win promotion and played in the Premier League for them
  • Options
    Thanks for those die hard shifts you put in Leon, talk about leading by example. Never got bored seeing his die hard blocks and lunges, superb positioning.

Wish him all the best for the future.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Said it on the thread when he was released...I thought he was our best centre half and I always felt better when he was in the team. Showed his class on the pitch and off it when he signed up to CL and posted a great response.

Wish him all the very best in whatever he chooses to do. Will always get a great response at The Valley from me.

I ust have missed this, any links?
    There you go CJLC...Covered End had quoted the link just after my comment. :-)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

RedMist said:

- He played more games for Palace during his peak
    - He's a Southend legend
    - He helped Stoke win promotion and played in the Premier League for them
    If you include the loan spell he only played 1 more game for the Stripey Nigels than he did for us
  • Options
    all the very best Leon ..a good professional footballer you always did your best for our club and it showed

i wish you all the best
  • Options
    Enjoyed watching you in our red shirt, thanks and ll the best for the future Leon.
  • Options
    Good luck Leon.
  • Options
    Hi Charltolife,

I'm Leon posting on here.

Thanks for all your support over the past few years, it was a pleasure to play for the Eagles.

Roland has told me that we are his second priority so don't stress, he will bring us back up if he gets us relegated on purpose.

He has great tactical knowledge too, so it's fine that he picks the team and Bob just nods.

I've loved playing for you guys, and Bermondsey will always have a special place in my heart.

Thanks.

Leon Cort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Corty - Top man, top footballer and overall true pro, Thanks for everything
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

TelMc32 said:

Said it on the thread when he was released...I thought he was our best centre half and I always felt better when he was in the team. Showed his class on the pitch and off it when he signed up to CL and posted a great response.

Wish him all the very best in whatever he chooses to do. Will always get a great response at The Valley from me.

I ust have missed this, any links?
    There you go CJLC...Covered End had quoted the link just after my comment. :-)
    Cheers Tel.