Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options

Paulie,

Didn't you tell us that Peeters said that he was looking forward to working with Riga? But it seems he was lined up for a move all the time.

Manager/directors/players are "economical with the truth" sometimes and sometimes things change.

I never said Peeters said he was looking forward to working with Riga
  • Options

Paulie,

Didn't you tell us that Peeters said that he was looking forward to working with Riga? But it seems he was lined up for a move all the time.

Manager/directors/players are "economical with the truth" sometimes and sometimes things change.

I never said Peeters said he was looking forward to working with Riga
    D'Oh

my mistake

You did say that Peeters was looking forward to working with Reza
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I don't see why this keeps being brought up,
    Bob Peeters has already said he spoke at length with the medical team, and said that providing he trains less than the others he will be fine to play

Sorted then. Lets never speak of Chris Solly again. Its not like this is a place to talk about things such as Charlton players.

From now Bob's word is final and the matter should never be discussed especially on a football forum of all places.
    Not what I said but in pretty much every friendly match he has not played in its the same thing being mentioned over and over again, people saying they are worried he will never be the same again, or is his career over, the point I was making was Bob said its manageable and as they manager I trust his judgement, and don't feel it needs to be discussed every time he does not play
    Because a manager would never say something that wasn't quite true to placate fans would he? Is it really necessary for you to jump down everyone's throats Paulie? It was funny at first but now it's just getting odd.
    explain when I jumped down anyone's throat
    I'd say it was approximately the point where people were talking about a topic and you decided to wade in and tell people to stop talking about it because you 'don't feel it needs to be discussed'. Not really a forum-friendly input. Play nice.
  • Options
    we need to discuss all subjects that pauline has started though... get back to them important issues.
  • Options
    Oh dear

Paulie it is possible that:

A-People didn't see that comment from Bob.

B-People saw with Rufus and Ledley King that Managing a knee issue does not last forever.

It's becoming tedious with you telling people not to discuss things, it's an open forum for discussion.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I don't see why this keeps being brought up,
    Bob Peeters has already said he spoke at length with the medical team, and said that providing he trains less than the others he will be fine to play

Sorted then. Lets never speak of Chris Solly again. Its not like this is a place to talk about things such as Charlton players.

From now Bob's word is final and the matter should never be discussed especially on a football forum of all places.
    Not what I said but in pretty much every friendly match he has not played in its the same thing being mentioned over and over again, people saying they are worried he will never be the same again, or is his career over, the point I was making was Bob said its manageable and as they manager I trust his judgement, and don't feel it needs to be discussed every time he does not play

You don't have to discuss it Paulie. You can just read it and 'move on' instead of mugging off other people's conversations and telling people what should and shouldn't be discussed.

Chris Solly is one of our best players and his injury problems will always be relevant and discussed.
  • Options
    Wasn't Paul McGrath another one who couldn't train? I think he carried on playing to a decent age but don't think he had the problem as young as Solly.
  • Options
    Knees are so dodgy in footballers because it's where most of the pressure and force goes. With all the twisting and turning, it can be a difficult injury to prevent, even if you warm up properly. When cartilage goes, it goes. Something as simple as football boots or the wrong studs can be the cause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've already reached the stage of accepting that Solly won't play much due to debilitating injury, and finding his each appearance a wonderful if unexpected bonus.
  • Options
    It's a big shame.

Only the good players get the career damaging injuries.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

It's a big shame.

Only the good players get the career damaging injuries.

Why is Simon church always fit then!? Oh wait think I answered my own question
  • Options

I'm sure the club will manage him through the season but if he makes 30 games I'll be surprised.

Unfortunately at some point in the next 2-3 years I suspect he will have to make a decision on whether he plays on or risks serious issues in later life.

This! I've not see Cousins or Nego at right back so the best cover I've seen is Wilson...whose contract expires next summer.
    If Solly can put in 30 games then things stay the same but if it is a lot less then there may well be squad changes in this area next summer.
    With Morrison, Wiggins and Solly we have kept most of the back five together for a few years and I think they are good enough for the Championship as evidenced by a very low goals conceded total.
  • Options
    He won't be used heavily this season I shouldn't think, poor lad's injury is one that will affect his future heavily. Similar to Richard Rufus'. Only gets worse with time, good surfaces will help him, perhaps play more home games than away? Bob will be the only one that really knows.
  • Options
    What was it that ended Gary Rowett's career ?

If we can find a way that allows Solly to play 30 games a season then I could live with that given how good a player he is. To lose him completely would be devastating.
  • Options
    I can see Peeters using Gomez at RB at times this coming season. He played him there in one of the games in Spain, due to Solly being injured & Wilson having played the previous game. Seemed like Bob was very impressed, saying "it looked like he'd been playing there for years" or similar. Nice to know there's cover available. Don't think Bob sees Logic as a RB, otherwise he'd have played him there once or twice over the summer..................
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Solly has a long term problem or is this all speculation? I used to think we were a bit jinxed with serious injuries causing early retirements, Mendonca, Hunt, Rowett, Matt Holmes, Gary Poole and otherss I've probably missed so hope its just a niggling thing that will clear up.
  • Options
    drewman said:

Does anyone know if Solly has a long term problem or is this all speculation? I used to think we were a bit jinxed with serious injuries causing early retirements, Mendonca, Hunt, Rowett, Matt Holmes, Gary Poole and otherss I've probably missed so hope its just a niggling thing that will clear up.

Try reading this thread :-)
  • Options
    People should stop worrying. With advances in sport science he could end up being able to play a lot more. Yes it will take time but if he is managed properly and eases himself back in, maybe over the course of a year, he could handle near full training and playing. But it is better now than when rufous was around. He will probably continue to play for a lot longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have read this thread and my question was posed because peoples' comments seemed to be based on what they'd heard, nor what they knew. Maybe its the phrasing.
  • Options

People should stop worrying. With advances in sport science he could end up being able to play a lot more. Yes it will take time but if he is managed properly and eases himself back in, maybe over the course of a year, he could handle near full training and playing. But it is better now than when rufous was around. He will probably continue to play for a lot longer.

Yes and no. Yes, there advances in sports science in the past 20 years, particularly when it comes to knee injuries BUT not all knee injuries. If Chris has ligament damage (similar to Theo Walcott) tremendous strides have been made in surgery and rehabilitation, but if Chris has cartilage damage, nothing much can be done as cartilage can't be re-grown ... this means that it is bone-on-bone contact in the knee as the cartilage serves as the shock absorber.
  • Options
    I heard a short while ago about an injection in the knee which injects a gel I think that becomes a substitute cartilage, not as good but stops the bones rubbing together. I am not sure if it was in the trial stage or not (sorry at my age memory not so good)
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I heard a short while ago about an injection in the knee which injects a gel I think that becomes a substitute cartilage, not as good but stops the bones rubbing together. I am not sure if it was in the trial stage or not (sorry at my age memory not so good)

I've also read about small holes drilled in the bone can re-grow cartilege, also stem cells. One issue may be that Chris may not want to risk the downtime of the cure.
  • Options
    drewman said:

I have read this thread and my question was posed because peoples' comments seemed to be based on what they'd heard, nor what they knew. Maybe its the phrasing.

Apologies. It's not hearsay. Mark Gower told me at Bromley Addicks, (in response to my question), before the start of last season. It has since been commented on by Bob Peeters, Chris Powell etc.
  • Options

drewman said:

Apologies. It's not hearsay. Mark Gower told me at Bromley Addicks, (in response to my question), before the start of last season. It has since been commented on by Bob Peeters, Chris Powell etc.
    Well, technically, that is precisely hearsay as it's from a third party rather than the owner of the knee himself!
    But that doesn't mean that it's not entirely true of course! And in the absence of any direct quotes from Mr Solly, that's about as good as it's going to get.
  • Options
    Seen him get the armband a couple of times this season and with Morrison seeming on his way out(Loan now and probably sold soon)

Solly as Vice captain would be a great choice and fully deserved, then when Jackson is no longer part of the first team he can take over from him
  • Options
    Thought he was immence today. His dodgy knee is a blessing in disguise for us.............
  • Options
    Not back to his best in my opinion.
  • Options
    Agree with SHG, not the same player so far....