Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Knightsbridge hotel charged me £75 for three bottles of water'

Sorry, using this forum to rant again. But the story below just makes me laugh. I've got no sympathy for this guy. Obviously wanted to play Billy Big Bollocks by showing off and having a meeting with his clients in an upmarket hotel. Only for upmarket hotel to have the 'audacity' to charge £75 for 3 bottles of water. For me, what did this guy expect? If you want to frequent such places and be the big shot, then don't whinge and bitch about it after. I don't really care that their prices weren't clearly stated, it's what he should expect from such an establishment.

The worst thing is the fact he's then got the nerve to try and use the national media to campaign that he's some poor hard done by soul who's rights has a consumer have been abused. Absolute joke of a story and shame on that man for trying to use the national media to complain. Glad he got stung.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/knightsbridge-hotel-charged-me-75-for-three-bottles-of-water-9632464.html

Comments

• Options
    Don't see what his issue is. Everyone knows San Pellegrino water is better than any other water............
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If there is no menu and no clear indication why dont you ask before buying...? One thing I always tell people I'm working with is to never presume in life
  • Options
    He didn't really get charged that for the water it was the minimum charge. Would think if you're ordering something that is well below the minimum value that it's should be made very, very clear. I can understand his ire.
  • Options
    Surprised some are showing no sympathy at all. £75 for three bottles of water is absolutely mental. If he was trying to play billy big bollocks as you put it, then he would have surely ordered more than 3 bottles of water.
  • Options
    I bought a round at Priestfields in a pre season friendly about 8 years ago cost me 41£...... But that was 16 bottles of beer!
  • Options
    He was told it was minimum spend of 25 quid per person at the hotel and he agreed.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Okay, so he wants to use a hotel's facilities free, (including ice plus lemon and quality glasses for the water), to hold a business meeting, wants to avoid having to pay to use a meeting/conference room, doesn't want to pay Regus to use their virtual office facilities instead, wasn't staying at the hotel and wonders why the hotel is trying re-coup some of its huge overheads? What kind of businessman is that?

Spot on!!

He clearly doesn't frequent these kind of places very often, especially if he thinks he can get a decent bottle of champagne for £75......
  • Options
    Bottled water is a crime.
    Imported bottled water is an even bigger crime.
    Didn't charge him enough in my book.
  • Options

Bottled water is a crime.
    Didn't charge him enough in my book.

By that criteria he would have been charged £75 for three glasses of tap water though... :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Racist.
  • Options

He didn't really get charged that for the water it was the minimum charge. Would think if you're ordering something that is well below the minimum value that it's should be made very, very clear. I can understand his ire.

Well you would being Scottish :-)
  • Options

Racist.
    Gets my back up as well to be honest.

You just know that somewhere in a town called Evian, some smug little French twat spends his day next to a stack of empty green bottles and a tap on the wall, filling the bastards up, screwing a cap on AND acting all bloody french... grr!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't like the taste of our tap water at home, so I've been buying 'Sainsbury's basics' still water at 20p for a 2 litre bottle. Has a nice taste when cold from the fridge.
  • Options
    I am being very cautious about this until I find out what the new caterers charge me for my Bovril.
  • Options
    I have used hotels on many occasions as a convenient meeting place for business meetings. I expect to get ripped off but £75 for 3 bottles of water does seem a bit ridiculous not that I am an expert in bottled water.
  • Options
    he's obviously trying to impress his client by taking him to a top hotel....and he got found out
  • Options
    If he was a real Businessman, he would have ordered one bottle of water and three glasses !
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Surprised some are showing no sympathy at all. £75 for three bottles of water is absolutely mental. If he was trying to play billy big bollocks as you put it, then he would have surely ordered more than 3 bottles of water.

He wasn't charged £75 for 3 bottles of water. He was charged £25 per head for being at the hotel and enjoying the facilities as per @cafcfan‌ above. Some of that £25per head was set off against the cost of the bottles of water.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ultimately it was his attempt to vent his frustration using the media that got me. I can just imagine his type, then has the audacity to try and paint he was the victim.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the whole billy big bollocks image he's trying to present. When you're working in certain industries clients expect a certain level of extravagance in their surroundings.

Either way, 3 bottles of water is hardly 3 bottles of Dom Perignon, even if it is San Pellegrino. £75 is an absolute piss take.
  • Options

I'm not sure about the whole billy big bollocks image he's trying to present. When you're working in certain industries clients expect a certain level of extravagance in their surroundings.

Either way, 3 bottles of water is hardly 3 bottles of Dom Perignon, even if it is San Pellegrino. £75 is an absolute piss take.

bottled piss take JR
  • Options
    Threads like this are good for spotting the simple folk on here.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Threads like this are good for spotting the simple folk on here.

It emerged that the Wellesley, which charges £600 a night for a suite, has a minimum charge of £25 per person when using its bar after 4pm. The three bottles of water cost £16.50 and there was also a service charge of £8.33. The hotel then added a “minimum spend” charge of £50.17 to bring it up to £75.
  • Options

Don't see what his issue is. Everyone knows San Pellegrino water is better than any other water............

And they sell it in Starbucks 400 Mtrs down the Brompton Road
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Okay, so he wants to use a hotel's facilities free, (including ice plus lemon and quality glasses for the water), to hold a business meeting, wants to avoid having to pay to use a meeting/conference room, doesn't want to pay Regus to use their virtual office facilities instead, wasn't staying at the hotel and wonders why the hotel is trying re-coup some of its huge overheads? What kind of businessman is that?

Totally agree with this............
  • Options
    PL54 said:

He wasn't charged £75 for 3 bottles of water. He was charged £25 per head for being at the hotel and enjoying the facilities as per @cafcfan‌ above. Some of that £25per head was set off against the cost of the bottles of water.

Completely agree, although must admit to grumbling when I got the bill after ordering 2 cocktails at the American Bar in the Savoy last summer. £92!!!
  • Options
    people moan about price of a litre of petrol when they pay the same for bottled water - madness.

Evian backwards is Naive.
  • Options
    Yeah let's all drink either beer or fizzy drinks when we are out in the heat. Madness.