Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Facebook's Ts and Cs are utterly disgraceful.

The following is a list of conditions that any user who downloads the Facebook messenger mobile app agrees to, according to The Huffington Post.

- Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.

- Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.

- Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.

- Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.

- Allows the app to read your phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.

- Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.

- Allows the app to read personal profile information stored on your device, such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others.

- Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.

- Allows the app to get a list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.

Well that all seems reasonable.

Comments

• Surely not...?
  • You can't go for a wee nowadays without someone peeping.
  • Don't download the app. You don't need it. These huge American dot-com multinationals are run by incredibly sharp and aggressive lawyers. They know the power of their brands and it's all on their terms.
  • edited August 2014

Don't download the app. You don't need it. These huge American dot-com multinationals are run by incredibly sharp and aggressive lawyers. They know the power of their brands and it's all on their terms.

Well, they are going to have some proper work to do. There is a class action lawsuit being put together in Austria against the greedy, power -mad ******s. I've signed up
  • Don't agree to the terms and conditions then.

It is not hard. Just don't tick that box that says I have read terms and agree.
  • MrOneLung said:

Don't agree to the terms and conditions then.

It is not hard. Just don't tick that box that says I have read terms and agree.

And then they wont get the app, how would life go on????????
  • Go off grid, its the only way.
    God knows how the world kept turning before the internet.
  • Got rid of the app years ago when it would wake me up to tell me **** ******* has invited me to play "texas Hold em" Twitter app is going to go as it keeps going off when a certain amount of people retweet something.

Although I see you're point, that is disgraceful the amount of things you have to agree to.
  • In all seriousness, think they are all the same more or less, any app (swiftkey, Instagram, Twitter, snapchat, etc) you download on phone, tablet, etc has terms which allow them access to more or less everything on your phone.

People just tick boxes for everything nowadays for quickness (myself included) Im sure somebody will just turn up and take my car, house, wife keys or something and quote back to a T&C I agreed to somewhere.

Am I the only one who doesn't have facebook??? Cant stand it
  • Got rid of the app years ago when it would wake me up to tell me **** ******* has invited me to play "texas Hold em" Twitter app is going to go as it keeps going off when a certain amount of people retweet something.

Although I see you're point, that is disgraceful the amount of things you have to agree to.

They are notifications. You can turn them off in your settings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't install the app. Just go through a web browser, it also saves on having annoying pop up's when someone has uploaded another photo of themselves or someone has invited you to a game...
  • In all seriousness, think they are all the same more or less, any app (swiftkey, Instagram, Twitter, snapchat, etc) you download on phone, tablet, etc has terms which allow them access to more or less everything on your phone.

People just tick boxes for everything nowadays for quickness (myself included) Im sure somebody will just turn up and take my car, house, wife keys or something and quote back to a T&C I agreed to somewhere.

no mate, don't have a FB account, can't stand it. My missus spends half her life on it!!

love Twitter though
  • yh, use twitter for reading rather than tweeting, think CL and Twitter are my only Social Networking traits.

There is whole generation of kids growing up who wont know what life was like before selling your soul for a 'like' or a retweet.

• Don't fecking use Facebook. You do have a choice. Fantastic as this piece of "anti-social" media seems to everyone else, all I see and hear are people being pissed off by someone on it, abused by people or opinion on it or fed miss informed crap by it.

No mate I ain't got it and won't ever get it
  • must be people o a certain age and lived in Woolwich or Charlton who don't have it then :)

No, I'm not on it either.
  • Lots of scaremongering going on. You have to put this into context. "Without confirmation" isn't the same as "without permission". If you want to phone a Messenger contact directly from the app, for example, the last thing you need is a few oks to tick. You've already opted to make the call.

And for most of those, the action will be initiated by the user.

As for the reading personal information stuff, that's a commercial thing that several other companies do - and if you own a loyalty card you've probably been giving the same permission to supermarkets to do exactly this for years.

Ultimately you've always got the choice of using it or not.

No, I'm not on it either.
    Nor me.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014
    To much ready eye.

I am old skool me I don't have a mobile phone anymore oh and I don't do faceache,twitter
    All that carry on,

If I uploaded my photo on Facebook I would need the security team myself, the amount of women that would be throwing themselves at me would just be to much to cope with.

I can't be asked with all that, I don't understand why people post their whole life on the internet, why do you want people to know your movements, what your up to,where your going?

Me I am Anonymous. The man with no name. He comes He goes.....

MSE7 - Legend
  • MSE7 said:

To much ready eye.

I am old skool me I don't have a mobile phone anymore oh and I don't do faceache,twitter
    All that carry on,

If I uploaded my photo on Facebook I would need the security team myself, the amount of women that would be throwing themselves at me would just be to much to cope with.

I can't be asked with all that, I don't understand why people post their whole life on the internet, why do you want people to know your movements, what your up to,where your going?

Me I am Anonymous. The man with no name. He comes He goes.....

MSE7 - Legend

We all know your name from your World Cup Dream team entry via The Sun website.
  • edited August 2014
    Fook me it's Ironside, your good son your very good...bet the Sweeney learned a thing or two from you??

but I don't have a sun dream team?

Stick to sweeping chimneys
  • The purpose of posting this link was to spread the word. Not look for advice. I don't have and never have had the messenger app (this isn't about the standard Facebook app, but the new message app that they prompt user to download when they attempt to read messages). According to the article, the app has been downloaded 1,000,000,000 times. That's what gets me.

Now, a lot of people felt compelled to download the app, believing they couldn't read messages without it. And urgently downloading in order to read a crucial message reduces the likelihood of anybody reading the vast array of conditions.

Those users trust Facebook. They want to believe that the brand wouldn't do anything even close to this nefarious. Maybe that's naive, but it's not entirely unreasonable to hope or even assume that the aforementioned conditions are not in there.

It's just as naive - and futile - to dismiss Facebook as an idiot trap. There are many, many positive reasons for something like Facebook to exist. The problem IMO is that they're allowed to get away with abusing the public trust. Simply dismissing the issue because you know better isn't helpful. Facebook is here to stay, and is deeply entrenched in many lives, particularly the young, so surely it's more important to get it regulated rather than tell people they're idiots for using it in the first place?
  • Mate if it wasn't for Facebook the prison population would be halfed

• edited August 2014
    Love Facebook, got back in touch with loads of old friends, seen lots of photographs bringing back great memories of years gone by. Also helps me make contact with friends who are coming to the Algarve on holiday, which wouldn't have happened without it. Others use it to ask me about coming here, and I put them in touch with other friends who have holiday apartments for rent, making myself a bit of commission in the process sometimes.

It introduces me to new ideas.

It is what you make it.
  • Don't fecking use Facebook. You do have a choice. Fantastic as this piece of "anti-social" media seems to everyone else, all I see and hear are people being pissed off by someone on it, abused by people or opinion on it or fed miss informed crap by it.

We're talking about Facebook on this thread...not charlton life
  • Everyone knows it should be renamed shagbook.

People go on there to get in touch with old flames, it's not a place to meet "friends" it's a place to find the old flames you used to know and send them a little poke hoping it relights that fire,

People never forget there first love!

I remember those days, man I wish I could turn the clock back I would do it all again. The best years come when your young don't waste them!!!

MSE7 - No Regrets
  • rikofold said:

Lots of scaremongering going on. You have to put this into context. "Without confirmation" isn't the same as "without permission". If you want to phone a Messenger contact directly from the app, for example, the last thing you need is a few oks to tick. You've already opted to make the call.

And for most of those, the action will be initiated by the user.

As for the reading personal information stuff, that's a commercial thing that several other companies do - and if you own a loyalty card you've probably been giving the same permission to supermarkets to do exactly this for years.

Ultimately you've always got the choice of using it or not.

There's the separate matter of whether you gave them permission to grant access to your personal data to the NSA, Rich. And lets face it, a subversive character like you is bound to be of interest to them:-)

That class action lawsuit I have mentioned above is so successful that I have already announced that they have to place a legal limit of 25,000 people joining it, and it was only announced a week ago.

Also did you (everyone) know that when you post an update, only about 15% of your so called "friends" get to see it (some reports which I have not verified say it has been reduced further and may be as little as 2%)? The idea was they all see it, but Facebook limits it, and effectively decides who sees it. To get more people to see it, you have to "promote" the post, i.e. pay for it. Yes you say, nothing is for free, they have to make money somehow. Fine. But as with banks, tell people how you make money from them. Why hide it, if it is so bloody reasonable?

Villains.