Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Facebook's Ts and Cs are utterly disgraceful.

2»

Comments

• Go off grid, its the only way.
    God knows how the world kept turning before the internet.

Well, first off it was magazines, then grainy videos that went all funny when you got to the goos bits then dvd's off your mate at work.
    I have a FB account to get DVDs but not those gentlemans ones you're on about, although they are there to be had.
    I ignore anyone and everyone who tries to contact me via FB. The only "friend" i have on there is some northerner living in the lake district.
  • rikofold said:

Lots of scaremongering going on. You have to put this into context. "Without confirmation" isn't the same as "without permission". If you want to phone a Messenger contact directly from the app, for example, the last thing you need is a few oks to tick. You've already opted to make the call.

And for most of those, the action will be initiated by the user.

As for the reading personal information stuff, that's a commercial thing that several other companies do - and if you own a loyalty card you've probably been giving the same permission to supermarkets to do exactly this for years.

Ultimately you've always got the choice of using it or not.

There's the separate matter of whether you gave them permission to grant access to your personal data to the NSA, Rich. And lets face it, a subversive character like you is bound to be of interest to them:-)

That class action lawsuit I have mentioned above is so successful that I have already announced that they have to place a legal limit of 25,000 people joining it, and it was only announced a week ago.

Also did you (everyone) know that when you post an update, only about 15% of your so called "friends" get to see it (some reports which I have not verified say it has been reduced further and may be as little as 2%)? The idea was they all see it, but Facebook limits it, and effectively decides who sees it. To get more people to see it, you have to "promote" the post, i.e. pay for it. Yes you say, nothing is for free, they have to make money somehow. Fine. But as with banks, tell people how you make money from them. Why hide it, if it is so bloody reasonable?

Villains.

Yes, I'm aware of all of that - as you'd expect me to be I think Prague - but it's not quite as you describe. You roughly see 16% of all your friends news feeds - but could you imagine the babble it would be without such a filter? Anyone can see all your posts if they go to your profile page (assuming you've not limited them) and individuals can opt into receiving your posts in their feed. You don't have to promote the post - and if you want specific people to see it you can tag them in it.

It's principally commercial pages that want to promote their posts, and having to pay for that is entirely reasonable in my book.

The key bit, said ironically of course, was the 'subversive character' comment. I really don't care what information government agencies have about me because I don't generally entertain the illegal and avoid the dubious. If they ever decide to 'do a Dr Kelly' on me, it won't be because of a Facebook message.

I do find this relentlessly commercial world more than irritating and I wish we ran the country rather than big corporations, but I also see it as an exchange. I enjoy using Facebook and Twitter, there's a definite utility for me in using Google; I get to use them for free, so if they want to send me ads, that's fine - I very rarely buy something from an unsolicited ad, but actually I don't mind being presented ads for things I was already searching for on Amazon or Google.

They may be villains, but I think perhaps they're closer to being relentless, creative and ruthless commercial people. They're hardly Russian oil barons now are they...
  • @‌rikofold

"I really don't care what information government agencies have about me because I don't generally entertain the illegal and avoid the dubious."

The problem may be that what you consider to be "illegal" or "dubious" may differ from the opinion of government agencies on the matter. You won't end up like David Kelly but you might easily end up with some difficulties entering the good old USA all because of some cockup generated by Facebook data they never should have been using in the first place. Didn't they have "1984" on your English Lit. curriculum?
  • Probably had the comma in the wrong place - surely we've all got housewife keys?
  • @‌rikofold

"I really don't care what information government agencies have about me because I don't generally entertain the illegal and avoid the dubious."

The problem may be that what you consider to be "illegal" or "dubious" may differ from the opinion of government agencies on the matter. You won't end up like David Kelly but you might easily end up with some difficulties entering the good old USA all because of some cockup generated by Facebook data they never should have been using in the first place. Didn't they have "1984" on your English Lit. curriculum?

Rickofold - Let's say you stopped a car on a double yellow line to pick up an old lady who had fallen on her face, and you wanted to take her to hospital. Would you happily pay the fine, should Facebook's app identify your location and report you to the local council, who identify that you parked on a double yellow for 30 seconds?
  • We really need the season to begin.
  • edited August 2014
    Huskaris said:

We really need the season to begin.

Facebook, Sheffield Wednesday, Golf, Burnley, Bob Stalking, Iron Man, Easyjet, Horse Racing, Dorset, NOS

F*** this I'm out of here.

LMAO this place is mental

• Now that Reza has gone elsewhere will Charlton's facebook lose all only... >>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<< (which ever way round it is)
  • <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<3333333333333333333333333333333333333
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:

So we can avoid talking about any serious issues and obsess over our choice of goalkeeper instead?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Huskaris said:

So we can avoid talking about any serious issues and obsess over our choice of goalkeeper instead?
    You seem like a pretty well balanced guy in what you say most the time and I enjoy your posts so I have avoided saying anything negative but you are firmly in the tin hat brigade if you seriously think that some guy who looks like the wind could blow him over is somehow trying to invade our lives.
  • Well that's very kind of you to say Huskaris, but you lost me on the guy who could be blown over. There must be a subtlety I've missed!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Well that's very kind of you to say Huskaris, but you lost me on the guy who could be blown over. There must be a subtlety I've missed!

• Idlehans likes this
  • Facebook shmacebook! What a pile of pony. e.g. :

Status - 'Currently sitting on the shi##er taking a dump'; or, 'had fish and chips tonight'; or, 'just cut the grass and trod on a slug'; or, 'really happy coz my cat ate Felix cat food tonite'; or, 'miserable because the moon is aligned with Jupiter and it affects my hormones'; or, 'just had a cup of tea and it burnt the roof of my mouth'.......... Etc etc etc etc.

What a total pile of pony.

Get out more and meet people, FFS!!

Status - 'Currently sitting on the shi##er taking a dump'; or, 'had fish and chips tonight'; or, 'just cut the grass and trod on a slug'; or, 'really happy coz my cat ate Felix cat food tonite'; or, 'miserable because the moon is aligned with Jupiter and it affects my hormones'; or, 'just had a cup of tea and it burnt the roof of my mouth'.......... Etc etc etc etc.

I met people, I still meet people, hundreds of 'em, and now they are friends on facebook.

If your five mates tell you about having a shit, find five new mates...

Like I said, it's what you make it.

So are we to assume that you're busier, more popular and more fulfilled than anyone who uses social media?