Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Howard Webb hangs his whistle up...

..a very sad day for Man Utd.

Quality ref in all seriousness.

Comments

• Options
    show pony
  • Options
    Excellent ref; not just his decision-making, but his ability to keep order without histrionics. Always seemed to have the players' respect through his communication. In a nutshell, firm but fair.
  • Options
    Who will take over as our leading ref ? Most aren't great at the moment...
  • Options
    Uriah Rennie?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Man utd are talking about placing a stute to honour him outside old trafford
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Man utd are talking about placing a stute to honour him outside old trafford

• Options

Don't worry, they've still got Mike Dean.
  • Options
    Mark Clattenburg will be the next high profile English ref at International level.

He has been appointed for the European Super Cup this season.

• Options
    Am I the only one that thinks Webb being pro-United is a myth?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good riddance to bad rubbish
    total show pony
    no player wants to be mates with the wanker in black they just want him to get the decisions correct
    as spectators we don't want to notice the wanker in black
    matches officiated by webb were always the webbshow
    he was far from the worst, sadly
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1922437#Comment_1922437
  • Options

I know I'm going to be torn to shreds for saying this, but I thought he was miles better than a lot of the refs in the Premiership, I think he reffed the 2010 World Cup final, I know the gags are quite funny on twitter but I never particularly thought he was pro man united, I just thought he got on with the job.

I agree.
  • Options
    Agree with Mendonca In Asdas. Excellent ref
  • Options
    Quality ref, nearly always made the right decision. The man utd joke is funny and worth a good laugh with all the pictures and jokes etc.

Big loss for English football imo
  • Options
    Great ref, well respected and not afraid to make tough decisions. Also kept himself very physically fit as well which isn't too common among refs these days, was never puffing along 50 yards behind the play.
  • Options
    Very dedicated, seems to be getting out at the right time rather than fade down the Leagues like D'Urso for example - and I would defy anyone to have tried to ref that World Cup Final.
  • Options

I know I'm going to be torn to shreds for saying this, but I thought he was miles better than a lot of the refs in the Premiership, I think he reffed the 2010 World Cup final, I know the gags are quite funny on twitter but I never particularly thought he was pro man united, I just thought he got on with the job.

Yep, one of the best, if not the best.
  • Options
    Top top ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clatenburg and fifa belong together
  • Options

show pony

Yet again another substantive, fully justified and well thought out comment on Charlton Life......... NOT!

Top ref who knew exactly how to do the job.
  • Options
    Never got all the "plays up to the camera" or "wants to be centre of attention". I think most of this is percieved these days due to the amount of scrutiny they're put under by the TV coverage of the game. Whether they like it or not, they become celebrities.

Top ref who (despite what some say) wouldn't let Rooney & co dictate to him..................
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Never got all the "plays up to the camera" or "wants to be centre of attention". I think most of this is percieved these days due to the amount of scrutiny they're put under by the TV coverage of the game. Whether they like it or not, they become celebrities.

Top ref who (despite what some say) wouldn't let Rooney & co dictate to him..................

Although I agree mostly with what you say there is the odd ref that wants to be the centre of attention.

Mark Clattenburg for example, drives round Newcastle in a top of the range Porche desperatly trying to get noticed and lives a bit of a playboy lifestyle.

Heard a story where he was asked to present some awards to some young referees in the North East and said he'd only do it on the condition that 'no-body asked him for autographs!!'

• Options
    top ref......but he was no Roger Milford ;)
  • Options
    A good ref, not brilliant but was the best of the current bunch by far. If there was a big game, you'd want him in charge of it. Was never too quick to pull out a card and tried to let the game flow first.

The complete polar opposite of Clattenburg. The most anti-Spurs referee I've ever had the misfortune to witness.

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1922437#Comment_1922437
    Going by this interview from their game v Spurs in January David Moyes might wonder if that was true...

Refs like players will make errors - who doesn't?

Suspect they make a lot less than the well paid professional do each weekend.
  • Options

top ref......but he was no Roger Milford ;)

Now there was a show pony. Just don't get that criticism being levelled at Webb; widely acknowledged as the best so his profile rose accordingly but I don't recall him playing to it to the detriment of his trade.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I would absolutely love it if he could come and ref one of my sunday league games. I imagine the Gulf between him and the standard of refs we get is greater than the Premier League footballers and us players!
  • Options
    Refs are often seen as show ponies/attention seekers because the broadcasters show a replay of every single incident in super mega awesome special wow hi-definition 3D OMG, whilst the (majority of) refs see it, make a call, move on. We then get another god knows how many replays whilst a bunch of pundits (ex-players, but very very rarely ex-referees) discuss a decision knowing it has been and gone and whatever they decide will not influence the match at all- unlike the referees.

Of course you get the odd twat like Clattenburg who is not so much anti-anyone as pro-Clattenburg, but you get dickheads in every job. Do even the best refs (of which Webb was one) get it wrong sometimes? Of course they do... but so does everyone. More often than not I reckon a seemingly nonsensical decision would be right by the letter of the law, and that's what needs to change, not the poor sods who have to try and enforce it.