Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peeters: Owner has told me to make sure Charlton stay up

Seems a perfectly reasonable initial expectation to me after last year

http://bit.ly/1y9rFge

Comments

• Has to be the absolute minimum.
  • When will our club ever show some ambition? We're buying an unkown quantity in Delort for 3 million, and our objective is to stay up??
  • Bob really shouldn't have to be told that by RD. Surely it's a given.
  • He's young and unproven, I'm guessing he was told survival is the bare minimum expected as he learns and we'll see/are meant to see improvements as the season progresses. That or RD is willing to spend the best part of 3 mill on a striker (Igor not Delort) and stick him in a team he expects to struggle. Which seems uncharacteristic frankly.
  • Another vintage season to look forward to.

None of it adds up - the fees being bandied around and the supposed pedigree of the players we're buying/trying to buy imply that we should be chasing the play-offs at least. Whilst there might be a need to manage expectations, I don't understand why or how we'd be able to get even close to a player (Delort) who half of Europe are supposedly interested in when our owners would apparently consider finishing 21st as a satisfactory season.

Baffling.
  • Well that will motivate these targets to sign for us, I'm sure!
  • Don't have a problem with any of that. He's rightly playing down expectations with a new team including several unknown quantities. Most importantly, probably from his own playing time here, he understands the particular demands of this league; let's hope the new boys fully understand what he's clearly telling them.
  • What a way to enthuse the players.
  • Seems reasonable to me. This year is the clean slate, fresh start. No pressure on the manager, see where we are against the rest of the division and take it from there. Just don't get relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good words from Big Bob, trying to take pressure off the new, young players & keep supporter expectations low. Don't be fooled though, he will be as ambitious for the club as any of us. The more I see of this guy the more I like him.
  • Huskaris said:

What a way to enthuse the players.

Well takes any pressure off them and will maybe allow them to play with a little freedom... Still they're not stupid I doubt Jacko will see the League Table one day and turn round to them and go "Dont worry lads, we're 22nd, 10-points from safety lets continue what we're doing cos we're enjoying our style of play"
  • Transition year to bed in the new full-time players and bring on the youth.

Hopefully a mid-table finish this year and we'll slowly build on this squad now year-on-year to slowly move up.
  • Can Someone C+P it please, ta.

• That's to keep fans expectations down.

Really they'll be looking for mid table, and to push on next year.
  • Feet on the ground...is the interpretation im getting...even though I havent read it
  • Well that will motivate these targets to sign for us, I'm sure!

I heard Vetokele, Gudmundsson and Buyens only signed up so as to fight it out with Millwall, Wednesday and Blackpool at the bottom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't see anything wrong with this. If he'd have come out saying "we're going for promotion", he'd be placing pressure on himself and the players. Fans expectations would shoot through the roof and would then create a negative atmosphere when we lose games.....................

I expect RD has made it clear that staying up is the absolute bare minimum if Big Bob wants another year on that contract of his - finishing higher will no doubt net Bob a nice little sweetener and better terms when they come back to the table next summer. The play off places are a lofty ambition, not unattainable but not easy to reach/stay in, and 'this season we aim to hang around in mid-table' is not a very inspiring quote either.

RD's money does the real talking - you don't spend 2.5million on a striker and sign a prospect like Gudmundsson if you are expecting to be scrapping for survival.
  • Damn lack of ambition again from the words of the coach, just like that time SCP told us how small our budget was in League 1. ;-)

• A bit harsh to get on Bob's back over this. As others have already said, this manages the expectations of the fans. If he went balls-out and said "Aiming for a playoff spot at least" it puts pressure on both himself and the players. This years Championship is likely to be quite different - there are a few clubs who are facing financial troubles or have rumblings in the background. Thinking back to the start of last season that's where we were and we nearly got relegated, too. We should do OK this year considering the financial confidence we no doubt have, but we can't be sure how high we'll go.
    I'll take staying up as a minimum. Playoffs or a top two spot would be total bonuses - and a complete surprise too!
  • We have the same budget as Rochdale.
  • I would add to staying up that we must do much better at home than we have done in the previous two seasons. The target should be 14 home league wins IMHO.
  • The same faces jumping all over his comments.

I dread to think what this place will be like if we get beat Saturday.

Joking aside Gary, if we do lose on Saturday we only have 45 games to turn it around. I don't think that's enough. I think I am going to have to top myself if we lose.
  • The same faces jumping all over his comments.

But it will at least give the other faces the chance to pull out the 'You're glad we lost' line, which never gets old.
  • Under deliver and over achieve Big Bob.
  • Uboat said:

The same faces jumping all over his comments.

But it will at least give the other faces the chance to pull out the 'You're glad we lost' line, which never gets old.
    Ah you mean like when CP lost a game last season.