Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton post-match views 2014/15

edited August 2014 in General Charlton
Quite a few got a chance to see the new players/manager etc. with it being on tv and streamed.

Finished all square at 1-1.

After the first 90+ mins, what do you think? A solid point in an early days away fixture, or two points thrown away? (Or both!)

Who stood out?

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Gutted, we deserved all 3 points especially on our second half display, Harriott only had to pass it in to an empty net and Brentford were broken.

Fluky goal even though im sure a small minority of our fanbase will find a way to blame Ben Haim.

Still plenty to be optimistic about, played some lovely football at times, should be entertaining this season.

One final point, some good honest british player pro behaviour lead by McCormack, not seen a team on mass go down so easily for quite a while, not much to like about their style.
  • Options
    Was the Harriott miss that bad? Not seen it.
  • Options

It wasn't that bad - in front of an open goal he tried to put it in the roof of the net and was unlucky to hit the bar.
  • Options
    Vetokele, Gudmundsson, Solly, the two centre backs and interestingly Jackson stood out

Wiggins was absolutely awful and I fear his decline may be permanent :(

Harriott...there are no words
  • Options
    Vetokele and Bikey stood out for me. The former tracked back a lot, made runs looking for out balls all day and ended up getting on the score sheet, looked quality to me.

Bikey was solid at the back, won everything in the air and played intelligently.

Don't want to slander anyone but will just say if Bob wants to play two up top he really needs to sort out the centre of midfield. JJ cannot play in a midfield 2, so either have Cousins in there or find a partnership in the middle that works.
  • Options
    Watching on the stream - decent performance, better in the second half than in the first. Gudmundsson looks good, and Igor will nick a fair few goals. Harriott's miss had the feel of his miss at Bramall Lane last season.

Disappointed we lost a lead, but there are positives we can build on.
  • Options
    Bit of a sickener after that Harriot miss , but can see the positives ie. Igor, Johann and the general style of player. Not too sure about TBH just looked a bit shaky compared to Bikey, think Morrison would be a much better partner.
  • Options

He was under a fair bit of pressure and found himself staring at the goal fairly quickly, but I was watching a ropey stream, so wasn't clear to me exactly how open he was. He was maybe 17 yards out, just to the left of centre and struck it probably a little harder than he had to.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Queeny fit edited out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014

From what I could see not that bad. He had to get some height on it with a player slide tackling him as he was hitting it but probably should've dinked it or hit it softer.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Good challenge on the keeper outside the box by Vetokele laid it off to Harriott, gaping goal was about to be closed down by a defender and just seemed to put his foot through it from outside the box? and it smashed down off underside of bar, poor miss in real time would like to see the replays later before being too critical.

Thought we lacked legs in midfield second half not sure they are all up to full speed yet although it was very warm conditions which wouldn't have helped. TBH did not instill me with confidence, Bikey solid and keeper kept us in it with a great save second half at 0-0. Wiggins distribution still poor, Solly better second half. Tucudean should have scored when one on one first half after a great ball from Gudmundson but he did well to get onto it. Buyens breaks it up a bit but not in Diego's class thus far. Cousins did well in the unusual role he was asked to play at LM. JJ was JJ and sent over the corner for our goal but he needs younger legs around him! Pleased with a point all things considered and we do pose more of a threat up front more than last season on this showing.
  • Options
    Watched via stream.

Fair result in the end, would have taken 1-1 before kick off. Igor Ventokele impressed me, seems the poacher we've been missing. Very unlucky for Harriott not to put us 2-0 up, an inch lower and would have been game over.

We played a lot better in the second half, and you can tell they haven't played much together, but passed it around with more success later on. Their equaliser was very unlucky too, deflected off Ben Haim (who needs to convince me more overall).

Andre Bikey was a beast, winning most if not all headers. Chris Solly played great again, very pleased he is back.
    Hendo (GK) seems solid too, with a great save to deny their striker (forget when it was).

Overall, happy with a point and am optimistic once we've gelled more as a team. Was important not to lose.
  • Options
    I thought we dominated the first 85 minutes & played some lovely football. We created a lot of chances but could only take the one: a superb header from Igor from a perfect JJ corner. We then conceded a lucky goal in the 85th minute & had to withstand a lot of late pressure.

We were so unlucky not to win that, but it just shows the importance of taking your chances when you get them.

It was a very, very encouraging performance & I am looking forward hugely to the rest of the season now.
  • Options
    A lot to be optimistic about. I immediately like Henderson, Gudmundson and Vetokele. Jury out on Buyens and Tucudean but let's give them a few games. I think we have the makings of a very good side here. Should have won but could have lost so I'll take it. Only note of caution is that we will play much better sides than Brentford, starting with Wigan and Derby so we will have a better idea in ten days time of how we are placed. Bob needs to find his best team and stick to it. I suspect some of our old favourites will not be in it. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    My view

Overall I'm pleased!! Igor looks a class act. So does gudmundsson and bikey was brilliant either him or Solly man of the match. We looked good going forward and can see igor causing a lot of defences trouble this year. Also it was a cracking game, credit to both teams. However I do believe JACKSON needs to up his game, he's to sloppy and has no pace what so ever.

And Harriots chance keeps playing in my mind as it probably does he's too. But come on!! You've got to finish those at this level..

All in all I have a lot of reasons to be optimistic this season.
  • Options
    Very Impressed by Vetokele, Gudmundsson, Henderson and Bikey. Solly his usual Reliable self. Thought we started slow but over the course of 90 minutes deserved the 3 points.
  • Options
    Naturally disappointed but I think overall a draw was a fair result (let's not be blind to the fact that Brentford also hit the bar with only a few minutes to go).

Something to build on and some encouraging performances although I must admit I thought Jackson was poor and Gudmundsson pretty anonymous except for that great through ball which Tucudean should have buried.
  • Options
    Started slowly but grew into the game towards end of first half and into second half. Vetokele looks a great player and Johan. On another day we would run out 3-0 winners had we taken our chances but definately positives today. Overall happy with the point away. Onwards and upwards!
  • Options

Yes it was - and ultimately cost us 2 points.

Overall far more positives than negatives and Vetokele looks class. As Wheresmeticket says, we are going to be some side when it all gels and the style of play was very easy on the eye.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll take a point away from home to a newly promoted side on the first game of the season.

As for Harriott I think everyone's being a bit harsh. It was hardly miss of the century. Even though it was an open goal he still had players around him getting ready to close him down if he took an extra touch.
  • Options
    Egor is a class above Simon, second half first 30 outstanding if that second goal goes in its all over, harsh reality of football, take your chances
  • Options
    We didn't play well at all. But it looks like we have the quality to not play well and still be dangerous. We didn't get out of first gear but we still threatened enough to win the game.

I'm over the moon with how our signings are looking. There was a clear gap in class between us and Brentford, though they looked far more organised and gelled.

Surprised that a lot were praising Henderson. I thought he came flapping at a few crosses and there was a clear lack of communication between him and the defence on a couple of occassions.

I thought Tucudean's chance was easier than Harriots. Harriot not to blame for that result, we did not play well. But it's a long season and we finally have a team who have a chance to compete.
  • Options
    Harriott's miss certainly wasn't as bad as the one at Sheffiled united in the cup but he should still have scored.

Bikey was impressive, as was Igor. Jackson was not. As Jaddick said above, he doesn't look good in a midfield 2. Needs to up his game or he could lose his place to Moussa or Cousins.
  • Options

I'll take a point away from home to a newly promoted side on the first game of the season.

As for Harriott I think everyone's being a bit harsh. It was hardly miss of the century. Even though it was an open goal he still had players around him getting ready to close him down if he took an extra touch.

Players ????

It was a player? Should of scored simple as
  • Options
    If you'd have offered me a point before the match i'd have taken it. A completely new bunch of players trying to gel against an up and coming team was always going to spell trouble.

Overall I felt we should've won, had Harriott not missed an open goal, it would've been 2-0 and game over. Admittedly there was a defender in front of him, but the least he could've done would be to hit the target.

Obviously Vetokele is the standout player, working non-stop all game and not sure I saw him lose the ball once. Superb hold-up play as well as his attacking movement. Gudmunsson played very well too, though he's very left footed.

Centre midfield is the main worry from this game, both Buyens and Jackson looked slow and at least 2 yards behind the play for the whole 90 minutes. Jackson in particular was giving away numerous stupid fouls in our half.

Onto the next game now, once this team gels we'll have a very solid squad for the season coming.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I thought Solly was poor defensively, Wiggins even worse. TbH is an unlucky player seems to get in the wrong place. Bikey is a mountain, would like to see him with Morrison.

JJ had a poor game save for one corner, buyers did a lot of work. Gud and Igor showed some nice stuff as did Tuc who was unlucky that the GK came out so quickly

We need to play 2 up front as there wasn't enough support when TUC went off
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Too early for full essessmants in reality but just looked pretty much the same as usual to me. Not taking enough good chances, to much losing possession and poor passing and the occasional defensive panic. CM's looked poor and mostly lost I thought.
    The positives being we can use the excuse that's it's only the first game of the season. We improved (not difficult) in the second half. We didn't lose. Were trying to play football and it looked half decent at times, Henderson looked strong and I liked the look of Gudmundsson's creativity and think Vetokele will get us some goals this season. CB's looked mostly solid as we were last year.

Nothing to say we're any better than last season but will be interesting how things settle down over the next month or two.
  • Options
    How can anyone blame TBH for their goal? Solley let Smith inside too easily to get the shot off and TBH was just trying to block it.