Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton post-match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options

dizzee said:

Would love to add AA into midfield.

Me too. Wasn't at the game, but would anyone else play JBG on the left and use Wilson on right wing? Move Cousins into the middle and I think we would have a better balance.

Spot on. I think maybe we would've done that had it not been first game where we were still a little cautious.

• Options
    enjoyable day.
    even first half.
    first 30 mins of the second we looked very good.
    Solly looked back to his best.
    Would still have Morro in the team.
    probably deserved the 3 points ---just.
  • Options
    A lot of positives to take out of that. Igor and Johan were excellent. Henderson impressive and Bikey having a much better 2nd half performance. Apart from the first 20-30 mins we were the better side and should have taken all 3 points. Would have taken a point before the game tho.
  • Options
    Very poor first half. Back four are not yet playing as a unit and Morro probably should of played.
    Maybe Brentford stole a point but we can all blame Callum for that, haha.
    Great atmosphere for most of the game and can't grumble to much about dropping 2 points.
  • Options
    More positives then negatives from yesterday's game. Igor and Johan had excellent starts to their Charlton careers. Good to see a potential 15 goal all action striker in Igor and a wide player who looks to have a lot of quality/Potential in Johan.

Should have taken 3 points but happy with a point from a side that had 7 debutants and only 2 survivors from the last starting eleven against Blackpool. Just knew after Harriott's miss that was going to bite us on the arse.

Henderson looked on the whole fairly assured and made a couple of decent saves.

Bikey and Ben Haim played well at the back, but I'm concerned that against 2 quick and better forwards who will play on their shoulder then are going to struggle against that. They look fine in the air and both read the game well, but would like to see a quick centre half alongside one of them.

Buyens had a solid game but after his first half booking was quiet from then on. Need to decide between him and Jackson who's going to push on more and who's going to sit deep.

Disappointed in the Romanian lad who was ineffective. Should have scored after a wonderful ball from Johan. Good first touch but decided to take a 2nd and it was too late. If the Welsh Wizard had missed that then there would have been a 200 post thread by now. For a big lad he needs to put himself right in the centre half faces not on the shoulder. Needs time to get used to the Championship.

Only one striker on the bench. Another one needed by the end of the month. Can see all 7 subs starting Tuesday night against Colchester.

In all, content how yesterday went and will hopefully kick on. However never get too excited when we win and don't get too down when we lose. This is going to be a long and hard season for all.

By the way, when did we appoint Lennie Bennett on the coaching staff?

• Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Didn't post until today as wanted to be calmer after the Harriotts miss. Calmed down but watched the highlights where I rewatched the open goal miss. The shot was away before the Brentford defender lifted his leg. Really the defender was only a distraction. There was a clear sight on goal. Not a good miss, particularly in the context of the match. Don't want to get on Harriotts back as strikers do miss and CH has my support. He does need to work on his composure in front of goal (particularly on the big occasion).
  • Options
    Vetokele and Gudmunsson are Premier League class, hope we get Delort. The networks scouting is good.
  • Options
    Having seen the benefit of tv replays Callum had little choice but to put in the roof of the net as he had a defender coming across who would have blocked it had he tried rolling in.
  • Options
    Slept on my views here.

Thought going forward we were the best I've seen for a long time. We have players who can genuinely scare defenders and I'm sure Igor is going to be a big player this season. Even if Delort doesn't happen or is a flop at least we have one quality striker.

Defensively I thought we were quite suspect except for the performance of the tank that is bikey. I watched a stream but it honestly looked like our marking for set pieces was atrocious, not picking up players making a run from deep and free headers that they wasted. I thought solly looked very dodgy the first half an hour and was exposed a couple of times by gudmusson, second half he seemed to ease in to his old reliable self but it made me worried for a bit.

Vetekole to get over 20 goals this season, was honestly hugely impressed with him and was my man of the match.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Having now seen the highlights, I'd say that Harriott's miss was pretty poor. A professional footballer should really be putting those away

Agreed, at the time from behind the goal it looked like it may have been a difficult opportunity but on reflection it should have been in. The only positive is that it may be enough to convince Peeters that Harriott may not be the striker that he seems to think he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wow, I've only read the first page and the diversity of views shows how we all see things differently!

Posting on the train home to Brighton...

I thought Bikey in the first half was an accident waiting to happen, a number of miss hit passes plus he was caught out for pace a few times. Second half he was a different player, an absolute beast who was the epitome of solid.

TBH was Ok but kept drifting out to the right and doubling up on Solly leaving us exposed in the middle. Solly had a go at him a couple of times. I think as Wiggins and Solly were being asked to push up the two CBs were stretching out to cover but was giving Brentford far too much space. Again though this appeared to be sorted second half.

I thought Wiggins was decent, certainly better than much of last season. Solly was class and a motm contender. Him and Gudmundson looked like they will work well together.

Johann was class and put himself about and did some great balls. Him, Vetokele and Buyens had a certain class of touch I can't recall seeing from a Charlton player for a number of years.

Jj was solid but unspectacular, as was Buyens. Neither were great or poor but quietly got on with their job.

I thought Henderson was immense at crosses and shot stopping, his distribution was terrible though and not a patch on Hamer.

George didn't have much service but the jury is out for me, looked like he has something there but didn't get a chance to show it. Seemed slow.

Igor had one of the best debuts for some time. Put himself about, looked lively and showed good intelligence in his decisions, hit the post, scored the goal and set up Harriots miss. I have a feeling that he is going to be a hero this season.

I felt a bit sorry for Harriot, the chance was more difficult than it looked and apart from that he didn't really get in the game much.

Overall a decent point, we could have definitely got all three but on balance a draw probably just about a fair result given our first half display.

Other thoughts...

Why was Henderson time wasting so much in the first half? Was very odd.

Disappointed in Bob spending much of the game sat in the dug out crossed legs. I thought he was an emotional touchline manager?

Ref was poor. Their goal should have been disallowed for handball for starters. Also the lino at our end didn't seem to be able to see the ball go out for a throw.

I think we'll improve every week and I can't wait to see where this team can go.

My thoughts exactly apart from the comments on Bob. Whenever i looked across he was animated and giving out instructions - the performance on the pitch clearly mattered to him. A good start with the promise that things can only get better. Tougher opposition next game will be a real test.
  • Options
    Watched the game in Witherspoons Bar in Pattaya with PattayaAddick and a Brentford fan. The Test Match was on the next TV and that was interesting as well.

For the first 20 minutes we seemed to play a long ball game, which wasn't expected after what has been said, but this did change later.

I liked the way Henderson caught the ball on several occasions when many keepers, not just Thuram, would have punched. Not too impressed with his distribution and why was he holding onto the ball for so long? He will get pulled up for that if he carries on.

It's all been said about the two MOM candidates, Vetokele and Bikey. Johan looked good, didn't notice Buyens that much, was disappointed with JJ, thought Solly improved as the game went on, TBH was OK, as was Cousins, Wiggins and George get a "could do better" report.

Could be an exciting season ahead with hopefully better football than last year. Hope we're on TV more often this season as I don't expect to be back for any live games, sdly.
  • Options

Wow, I've only read the first page and the diversity of views shows how we all see things differently!

Posting on the train home to Brighton...

I thought Bikey in the first half was an accident waiting to happen, a number of miss hit passes plus he was caught out for pace a few times. Second half he was a different player, an absolute beast who was the epitome of solid.

TBH was Ok but kept drifting out to the right and doubling up on Solly leaving us exposed in the middle. Solly had a go at him a couple of times. I think as Wiggins and Solly were being asked to push up the two CBs were stretching out to cover but was giving Brentford far too much space. Again though this appeared to be sorted second half.

I thought Wiggins was decent, certainly better than much of last season. Solly was class and a motm contender. Him and Gudmundson looked like they will work well together.

Johann was class and put himself about and did some great balls. Him, Vetokele and Buyens had a certain class of touch I can't recall seeing from a Charlton player for a number of years.

Jj was solid but unspectacular, as was Buyens. Neither were great or poor but quietly got on with their job.

I thought Henderson was immense at crosses and shot stopping, his distribution was terrible though and not a patch on Hamer.

George didn't have much service but the jury is out for me, looked like he has something there but didn't get a chance to show it. Seemed slow.

Igor had one of the best debuts for some time. Put himself about, looked lively and showed good intelligence in his decisions, hit the post, scored the goal and set up Harriots miss. I have a feeling that he is going to be a hero this season.

I felt a bit sorry for Harriot, the chance was more difficult than it looked and apart from that he didn't really get in the game much.

Overall a decent point, we could have definitely got all three but on balance a draw probably just about a fair result given our first half display.

Other thoughts...

Why was Henderson time wasting so much in the first half? Was very odd.

Disappointed in Bob spending much of the game sat in the dug out crossed legs. I thought he was an emotional touchline manager?

Ref was poor. Their goal should have been disallowed for handball for starters. Also the lino at our end didn't seem to be able to see the ball go out for a throw.

I think we'll improve every week and I can't wait to see where this team can go.

My thoughts exactly apart from the comments on Bob. Whenever i looked across he was animated and giving out instructions - the performance on the pitch clearly mattered to him. A good start with the promise that things can only get better. Tougher opposition next game will be a real test.
    Agree re BB, Mckf. 99% standing & encouraging etc / 1% slumped in the dugout. Can't ask for more than that on a very hot day in the sun...

Haven't commented on the match thus far but very happy with Igor & Bikey - great signings who will be the envy of other Championship clubs, I feel. They were the stand out players for me.

The rest ? On the whole, coped well with some decent passing moves & created several promising goal attempts. Brentford were clearly well up for it , and understandably so - just a shame George or Callum couldn't have put one of the best chances away.

On the whole, satisfied with the performance but as the boss man stated, feel there is much more to come - perhaps with young Jordan moved inside and Lawrie back in the starting eleven ? For me, the latter did little wrong last season & deserves a start. Will be interesting to see who plays on Tuesday evening & in what formation.

On a personal note, it will take a few more games to feel that the new players are "ours"...As I posted on another thread, on the whole, I don't like change although it's inevitable in football as long as it's positive. I'm sure that Bob will have learned a lot from the match & will also do so from the Cup game. Next Saturday might well see a couple of changes - I can't wait !

Onwards & upwards !

• Options
    One thing that came out of the interviews i've seen with BP is that he comes over as a stern disciplinarian, who isnt going to take any sh1t from anyone.
  • Options

One thing that came out of the interviews i've seen with BP is that he comes over as a stern disciplinarian, who isnt going to take any sh1t from anyone.

I get that impression by looking at the size of the man.
  • Options
    I was sat pretty close to Bob - seemed to me he was on his feet whole time, obviously eyes not glued to him whole match - he was in my eyeview thru' to Igor when he scored - he went mental, jubilant
  • Options
    A bit of action from yesterdays game that Choice took.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlton-Athletic-Choice-Tv/274569197865?fref=ts
  • Options
    Old fella black t-shirt looks well out of breath bouncing around there , some people don't know how to grow old gracefully
  • Options
    Still have my youthful looks mate your just jealous
  • Options

Agree re BB, Mckf. 99% standing & encouraging etc / 1% slumped in the dugout. Can't ask for more than that on a very hot day in the sun...

To be honest, on reflection, I was a bit harsh saying he spent most of the time in the dugout. What I noticed though, and found disappointing, was that when they scored he immediately went and sat down and crossed his legs at the back of the dugout... which to me was the exact moment when I most wanted him to be on the touchline shouting encouragement and taking control.

I hope my one comment didn't sound like I was anti-Peeters as that's most definitely not the case. I think that quite possibly Riga and Powell would have started with a much more defensive line up yesterday so I'm excited to see just how Bob can get us playing when it all starts to click...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair enough, Leaburn.

I do understand what you were saying. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    The Sunday Times made Jackson motm incidentally...
  • Options
    Jackson was well off the pace, can't see him being a regular in the team come xmas time
  • Options
    Point taken Leaburn. His after match comments show that he appreciated the fans response. A good sign for the future.
  • Options
    I still think if our team was changed very slightly we would be a lot better. I love JJ as much as the next man but honestly I don't know where he fits, can see him taking a similar role to Lampard as the season progresses, used from the bench or in games where his experience is needed.

Henderson
    Solly Morrison Bikey Wiggins
    Wilson Buyens Cousins Gudmondsson
    Moussa
    Vetokele
  • Options
    I like that team, although i think Tucudean will get better, as he impressed me at Portsmouth.

It's nice to have 3 CBs(4 if you count Gomez) who i would not be worried what pairing played, i think we are solid in that postion.
  • Options

I like that team, although i think Tucudean will get better, as he impressed me at Portsmouth.

It's nice to have 3 CBs(4 if you count Gomez) who i would not be worried what pairing played, i think we are solid in that postion.

Very solid.
    To be honest (cant use TBH any more !) - after releasing 20 odd players during the summer and bringing in not half as many, we are well placed with quality in most positions, and definitely are a stronger team than this time last season.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2014
  • Options

Very solid.
    To be honest (cant use TBH any more !) - after releasing 20 odd players during the summer and bringing in not half as many, we are well placed with quality in most positions, and definitely are a stronger team than this time last season.
    Goes to show, quality over quantity goes a long way. Obviously you don't want a squad as small as Blackpool's, but when you're calling on the likes of Church as your striker off the bench, you can't honestly claim to have strength in depth! On which subject, another striker in is a priority if the Delort Saga goes wrong, preferably one with a bit of height/muscle. The two looked decent yesterday but a big lump CB would clobber the pair of them without missing a step.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Very solid.
    Goes to show, quality over quantity goes a long way. Obviously you don't want a squad as small as Blackpool's, but when you're calling on the likes of Church as your striker off the bench, you can't honestly claim to have strength in depth! On which subject, another striker in is a priority if the Delort Saga goes wrong, preferably one with a bit of height/muscle. The two looked decent yesterday but a big lump CB would clobber the pair of them without missing a step.
    Agree, pleasantly surprised. Agree with the Church comment also, but this time last year, he was in the starting line-up- so progress has been made in that dept.
    When you have Morro and Gomez as back-up at the back, and then Wilson and Harriott as back-up in midfield then thats def stronger than last year- to me , they've got rid of the dross and made the squad stronger , though not in quantity - after all, there were quite a lot of 'ordinary' players last year.