Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Robins Quits Huddersfield

13»

Comments

• Options
    Scary comment at the end
  • Options
    I am not sure how old Powell's children are, would he be willing to leave the south-east and uproot his family to take a northern or midlands job? Very tough call to make as you really have to go where the work is and people like Curbs have suffered from probably being too picky.

A mate of mine who is "in football" says that the rule of thumb is that once you are out of the game for a year then you are not going to get back in (unless you are a major name like Keegan or Hoddle) because people just stop considering you for jobs and new managers are emerging all of the time.

If I were Powell and Huddersfield became available then I would take it.
  • Options

I am not sure how old Powell's children are, would he be willing to leave the south-east and uproot his family to take a northern or midlands job? Very tough call to make as you really have to go where the work is and people like Curbs have suffered from probably being too picky.

A mate of mine who is "in football" says that the rule of thumb is that once you are out of the game for a year then you are not going to get back in (unless you are a major name like Keegan or Hoddle) because people just stop considering you for jobs and new managers are emerging all of the time.

A lot of managers leave their family behind as with the short term nature of many jobs, it's not worth disrupting the family. Whether Huddersfield is an attractive opportunity I'm not so sure, you can't see them going any higher than the Championship?
  • Options

A lot of managers leave their family behind as with the short term nature of many jobs, it's not worth disrupting the family. Whether Huddersfield is an attractive opportunity I'm not so sure, you can't see them going any higher than the Championship?
    I think both Dowie and Parkie kept their families up north but it would not be easy from a personal perspective.

As for Huddersfield, they are probably middle of the pack at best but there are worse clubs than them he could go to and if he did well there he might get a real giant like Sheffield Wednesday!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Huddersfield is a good family club with a decent set of supporters. Powell would be a good fit there.
  • Options
    Might well be wrong, but didn't Powells wife & kids stay in the London area when he was working for Leicester?
  • Options

I think both Dowie and Parkie kept their families up north but it would not be easy from a personal perspective.

As for Huddersfield, they are probably middle of the pack at best but there are worse clubs than them he could go to and if he did well there he might get a real giant like Sheffield Wednesday!
    Ah Dowie, didn't he leave Palace for us because he wanted to move further north...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    vff said:

Huddersfield is a good family club with a decent set of supporters. Powell would be a good fit there.

I disagree, they all think they should be storming the league with Dean Hoyle in charge, Powell would find it tough at Huddersfield because the fans there like a scapegoat and would turn on him in no time, hence why Robins left after one game.
  • Options

Ah Dowie, didn't he leave Palace for us because he wanted to move further north...
    Indeed! I think Dowie's family stayed in Manchester (from when he was manager at Oldham) and Parkie's family were in Chorley from his time at Huddersfield.

Actually the friend of mine who works in football tells me that lots of managers actually base themselves in the Midlands so that they can take jobs anywhere in the north or Midlands without too many problems in terms of travelling.

When you consider that a managerial reign lasts an average of 18 months this actually makes really good sense from their perspective to base yourself as centrally as possible, there is no point moving from London to Huddersfield only to get the tin-tack a couple of weeks after you have finished renovating your new house up there!

I think Redknapp is a good example, he has commuted from Dorset to London for most of the last five years and others probably do similar, I think Curbs used to travel in from Essex every day when he was at Charlton.
  • Options

Yes, and he did move further north, so never really understood the fuss.

I'm still confused with every player who wants to live up north ending up in Brighton. I can't get my head around it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe its the Coastline that confuses them, maybe they dont realise the British Isles are an island so when players get sold the area by their Agent they think.

Coastline = Blackpool has a beach.. Brighton has a beach.. Blackpool is up North.. Brighton MUST also be up North!!
  • Options

Indeed! I think Dowie's family stayed in Manchester (from when he was manager at Oldham) and Parkie's family were in Chorley from his time at Huddersfield.

Actually the friend of mine who works in football tells me that lots of managers actually base themselves in the Midlands so that they can take jobs anywhere in the north or Midlands without too many problems in terms of travelling.

When you consider that a managerial reign lasts an average of 18 months this actually makes really good sense from their perspective to base yourself as centrally as possible, there is no point moving from London to Huddersfield only to get the tin-tack a couple of weeks after you have finished renovating your new house up there!

I think Redknapp is a good example, he has commuted from Dorset to London for most of the last five years and others probably do similar, I think Curbs used to travel in from Essex every day when he was at Charlton.
    Warnock apparently lived in the south west when managing Sheffield U.
  • Options

Maybe its the Coastline that confuses them, maybe they dont realise the British Isles are an island so when players get sold the area by their Agent they think.

Coastline = Blackpool has a beach.. Brighton has a beach.. Blackpool is up North.. Brighton MUST also be up North!!

I think they confuse Brighton with New Brighton!
  • Options

Strong rumours the CP next Hudd manager.

Stick with me guys!!!