Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (BATTLE OF THE ATHLETICS) | Sat 16th Aug 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

For a first week as a manager in competitive English football, Bob Peeters can be very satisfied with himself and his Charlton squad for their two results over Brentford and Colchester in the past few days.

Peeters would have been disappointed with his side’s failure to see out the game against Brentford with a victory, but facing any Championship team away from home is usually a difficult game.

The Belgian and Charlton will now look ahead to Saturday, where they will welcome Wigan to The Valley, for the first home league game of the season for the Addicks.

The Opposition

Wigan had a fantastic run towards the end of last season that helped them get a play-off spot and then, subsequently lose to QPR in the race to promotion to the Premier League.

However, Uwe Rosler’s side will now be looking to do one better this season and with the German now facing his first full season in charge of the Latics, he will be hoping that he will be the man to take them to England’s highest tier.

Although, to do so, they will be expected to play to a higher standard than what they did in their opening two competitive games of the season.

They lost 2-1 to Burton Albion in the Capital One Cup in midweek, and prior to that, drew 2-2 at home Reading, thanks to a last minute equaliser from James McArthur.

Summer additions such as, Andrew Taylor, Don Cowie (both from Cardiff) and Oriol Riera (from Osasuana) are expected to play some part for Wigan this weekend.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Wigan:

The Latics’ player to watch on Saturday is their winger, Callum McManaman. The 23-year-old was instrumental in helping Wigan win the FA Cup in 2013 and was even voted man-of-the-match in the final against Man City. He will be hoping to be a key figure for Wigan throughout the season if the club are to achieve promotion this year.

This is what he is capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePGi9nGxr8

Charlton:

The Addicks’ player to watch this weekend is Johann Berg Gudmundsson. The Icelandic winger had a decent debut away at Brentford last weekend as well as an impressive cameo in centre midfield against Colchester. Whether he’ll be starting from the right, left, or in the middle is another matter, but wherever he plays, he’ll hopefully be a threat for the Wigan defence.

In-case you haven’t seen what he is capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3mfD2kWmw

The Line –Up

After some impressive performances in midweek, it’s hard to call what the line-up will be this weekend.

The efforts of Wilson, Morrison, Gomez and Moussa will give Bob Peeters a selection problem, but he insisted after the game against Colchester that he doesn't have a “headache”.

In goal, Henderson should continue after a great display against Brentford last weekend.

In defence, the back-four of Solly, Bikey, Ben-Haim and Wiggins are likely to continue despite the performances of Morrison, Gomez and Fox in midweek.

In midfield, Lawrie Wilson may be given a start following his brace against Colchester which will subsequently see Gudmundsson go to the left-side of midfield.

In the middle, Jackson, Buyens and Cousins will be in contention for places, while Franck Moussa may be given a start in the number 10 role.

If Peeters does opt for Moussa, then George Tucudean will most likely be replaced to leave Igor Vetokele upfront on his own.

The Prediction

A sea of red, a happy Bob and an optimistic 2-1 victory for the home side.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    ----------Henderson
    Wilson / Ben Haim / Bikey / Wiggins
    Cousins / Buyens / Jackson / Harriott
    -------------JBG
    -----------Vetokele

Subs: Pope, Gomez, Morrison, Fox, Moussa, Tucudean, Pigott, Delort (read: Church.......)

Solly to come into the starting XI from nowhere for one of three (Cousins/Jackson/Buyens) against Derby with the Wilson pushed up to right midfield and the other two mids making up the central pairing. One of Gomez/Fox to drop out of the 18 for Derby County as it'll be past their bedtimes. :-)

As for the result, I'll go for another 1-1.
  • Options
    Henderson

Solly
    Morrison
    Bikey
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Buyens
    Cousins
    JBG

Moussa

Vetokele

2-0 Charlton vetokele with both.
  • Options
    Henderson
    Solly Morrison Bikey Wiggins
    Wilson Buyens Cousins Harriott
    Gudmundsson
    Vetokele

Subs: Pope, Gomez, Ben Haim, Fox, Jackson, Moussa, Tucudean.
  • Options
    Addicks to win 2-1..........match thread from 2 pm..............COYR's
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Draw at best 2-2
    and we'd have won if it wasn't for the ref ,
    we're due a good old moan up/blame game against the ref cos after all we're poor old hard done by Charlton
  • Options
    2-1 win vetokele gudmunsson
  • Options
    This is a real benchmark. I have always said I would be delighted to see us just consolidate as a solid mid table champ club. A draw against Wigan who should be up there this season would keep us on course for this.

1-1. Church (yes you read that right!) for us.
  • Options
    Still early days, so a defeat against a team who will be expecting to go up wouldn't be a disaster.
  • Options
    A draw would be a decent result and a sign of progress; a win would be a real bonus. A loss, unless it is a bad one, would not be a disaster although the honeymoon might be over for some.

1-1.
  • Options
    2-1, another Buyens penalty, and the winner from Igor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henderson
    Wilson Cousins Buyens JBG
    Vetokele Tucudean

2-1 goals from Vetokele and Wilson
  • Options
    I really can't see us winning this one. 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    2-0 to BP's Red and too much White army.
  • Options
    Wigan are a lot better than they're being given credit for and I expect them to right up there challenging for automatic promotion this season. I'll be happy with a draw from this one.
  • Options
    A 1-1 draw, leaving us still in the dark as to which end of the table will be of most interest to us this season.
  • Options

The Prediction

A sea of red, a happy Bob and an optimistic 2-1 victory for the home side.

With that team, I feel 2-1 is a good shout.
  • Options
    oh great Andy D'Urso is the ref.
  • Options

Henderson
    Wilson Cousins Buyens JBG
    Vetokele Tucudean

2-1 goals from Vetokele and Wilson

It may come back to bite me, but you really think Wilson will score again so soon?

I think his next goal will come in september. the man has only scored 4 for us in 72 apearances

• Options
    Really fancy us to win this one. Think Wigan are going to be disappointing this season.

2-0
  • Options
    The defence picks itself but I don't see Moussa featuring at the start...seeing as Gudmundsson, Vetokele and Buyens all played well it's then a question as to whether Wilson gets a start and if Harriott gets a shot up front or are we back to Tucudean.
    A win would be spectacular given last season and I can't rule it out but a draw is more likely. Whatever the result, we need to come through this one unscathed before winnable games vs Huddersfield and Brighton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big Bob has a dilemma. There were some impressive performances on Tuesday night and it was goo to see Cousins back in the middle and playing well. If Peeters insists on playing 4-4-2 then Wilson has to start on the right of midfield. It's a shame to say it but I can't see Jackson being a regular this season if Buyens and Cousins develop that partnership.

• Options
    Wigan are one of the fancied teams to do well and will be tough opposition - 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    2-1 Win for us, Igor & Tucudean with the goals.

The only change from last Saturday will be Wilson in for Cousins or Jackson.
  • Options
    A hard one to call, especially this early in the season. I reckon our man Bob will be chomping at the bit, and I have a feeling that we can win it with a decent crowd and a lot of noise.
  • Options
    Managed to get myself a ticket for this game. Would snap your hand off for a draw.

I'll go for a 1-1.
  • Options
    Am sure it will be more entertaining than last year's game against Wigan. Fingers crossed we'll win!
  • Options
    ANOTHER comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Henderson
    Gudmundsson
    Vetokele

This
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Henderson
    Gudmundsson
    Vetokele

Love the look of that side. A little more attacking pace on the bench (to be sorted before the window closes I'm sure) and I'll be an extremely happy man

2-0 Addicks