Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heating on already?

Just been an article on 5 Live. Not on in my house yet. Oop in Sheff we're made of stronger stuff tight as fook. My heating only comes on when the temperature in the house gets below 18'c. It's currently been hovering around the 20'c mark these last few days in my house. My gas and elec bill is £160 per month DD, on a fixed tarrif for 3 years. I went on the Uswitch site and got the best deal I could last year before the prices jumped so I know it's competitive. I still feel that i need to keep the heating off for as long as is possible. Any softies sat in front of a roaring gas fire or backed up to a nice warm radiator? I've been looking at my woodburning stove these last few days and it's goading me to put a match in it's nicely stacked pile of tinder dry logs.

I've got a mate who only puts the heating on from October onwards, regardless of outside temeprature, and only uses it for a maximum of 30 minutes on a morning. Hence his combined monthly bill is around £50.

Oh, of course he's single ; )

So when will you switch on?

Comments

• Options
    I actually thought about it tonight, as I was sitting here feeling a bit nippy..............Then I remembered about 80% of my windows were open.
  • Options
    A couple of weeks ago when it was boiling outside a girl in the office had a fan heater on under her desk because the air con was on.
  • Options
    My heating doesn't come on until November 1st and goes off on March 31st.

If anyone is cold in my house between April 1st and October 31st they can put a bloody jumper on!!

• Options
    It's not even cold though?! I heard some of that show and just assumed they must have been targeting some of their northern listeners.
  • Options
    the heating going on / off coincides with the clocks changing in my house
  • Options
    My flat is ridiculously warm still. One of these properly insulated ones. No doubt, it helps my energy bills in the winter, but it actually is a bit unbearable in the summer (and because it's a flat i have to have electric heating, which makes what heating I do use, exceptionally expensive)

2 bedroom flat, with 2 people living in costs me about £90 a month.
  • Options
    Maybe she really wanted a fan eater?
  • Options
    My flat is fine, windows have been open for around 2 months now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mine comes on when its cold enough.
    I set the thermostat at 18>20 C and when its cold enough the heating fires up. I never turn it off at the timer.
    My house is well insulated (windows,walls,loft and thermostatic valves on all the rads) and have no leakey doors/windows what so ever, this makes it as economic to heat as its probably possible to be. The rads in the bedrooms seldom get hot.
    18 C is an OK temperature to live in (IMO) to get a house up to that level you dont need the heating on very much even on a cold winters night.
  • Options
    Central heating is for southern softies.
  • Options
    Yup just got back from 35 degrees 100 percent humidity, to gatwick this morning overcast 12 degrees and rain
  • Options

Do you have a coal fire AUN?? ;o)
  • Options
    My heating never goes on. 3rd floor so everyone elses rises up when needed. The place is unbearable in the summer and we have about 4 fans going.
  • Options

Do you have a coal fire AUN?? ;o)

I would have but after Thatcher decimated the coal industry it's been a bit scarce :-(

Oh come on, that one was put on a plate ;-)
  • Options
    Blimey, so this is where the tough nuts hang out. Me? central heating usually will be on by early september, at least for a few hours. Thermostat set at 22centigrade- toasty
    At the valley its long johns on by early November with a full hip flask.

Will admit to running C.H. for an hour this morning, but was testing my new boiler installed on Monday.

TPeP have you got a 10 room palace to heat? I pay £112/m DD fxd 1 year for 3 bedroom semi an that was with an old inefficient boiler. With my new condensing boiler expect bills to drop below £100/m.
  • Options
    Jesus...2 bed 1st floor flat with no one above. DD is 60 a month for gas and elec and I thouht that was high. 18 is shorts weather. 16 shut the window. 14 put another layer on. 12 stick the heating on for a bit
  • Options
    Our house is freezing in colder weather but it's nowhere near CH temperature.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've got an extraordinarily poncy smart thermostat set up at home and it won't kick in till either its 19 degrees, or if one of us is in the house
  • Options
    Kiely#1 said:

Jesus...2 bed 1st floor flat with no one above. DD is 60 a month for gas and elec and I thouht that was high. 18 is shorts weather. 16 shut the window. 14 put another layer on. 12 stick the heating on for a bit

And eat plenty of pies.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Jayajosh said:

Kiely#1 said:

• Options
    Tested ours out tonight - put it on when chilly + some chelsea twat did a bit of plumbing in the summer - anyway, works fine. Heating goes on when we are not warm no matter the date
  • Options
    razil said:

Yup just got back from 35 degrees 100 percent humidity, to gatwick this morning overcast 12 degrees and rain

what is 100% humidity? rain?
  • Options

razil said:

what is 100% humidity? rain?
    More like swimming..............
  • Options
    December the 1st is what I hold out for, doesn't go down well if it's freezing in November.
  • Options
    Men think that women want flowers, diamonds, champagne, shoes and holidays.
    The only thing they really want is the fooking heating on.
  • Options

Men think that women want flowers, diamonds, champagne, shoes and holidays.
    The only thing they really want is the fooking heating on.

These days it would be cheaper to get them diamonds, champagne, shoes and holidays!
  • Options
    When do people normally put their heating on? It was nippy last night, but I cannot justify putting it on in September.