Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Going back to The Valley

Not sure how you exiles cope. Only takes a few months summer break and I'm excited like a kid for my first visit back. The bustle by the shops / station, the walk down Floyd Road, the stadium suddenly emerging past the houses. The crowds outside the Covered End, the RRR, BDL going slightly over the top, the drum starting up, a big VFR in the 93nd when a games all sewn up.

Still can't get my head around how only a year ago quite a few supporters were actively encouraging to ditch it.

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I wanna go to bed
We had a decent ground seven seasons ago
Now we got this shit instead.
Wherever we may roam
The Valley is our home
And you'll always hear us singing the song
Show me the way to go home

Comments

• Options
    I always love returning to The Valley. Have a much longer journey now than when I lived in The Heights though!
  • Options
    You have no idea how jealous I am that you all get to go every game, to say I miss it is an understatement!
  • Options
    Nicely written AFKA. Made me envious. And glad your appetite for it has returned. Have to wait til next month, but will have the same feeling.

Still at least I will have radio commentary provided by proper Charlton people, not to mention the VOTV which has popped into my inbox. And the weather here today is crap, as if to acknowledge the start of the English season.

Bring it on.
  • Options
    I can't get to as many games as I would like these days but I always get to the first and last home (league) games.

This time of year I'm like a kid in the queue for Alton Towers even if I'm not actually expecting it to be a great season* although perhaps it's more of a traditional thing to say thanks/bye/sod off to some of the players that keeps you going to the last game after a crap year**...

*see last year.
    **also see last year
  • Options
    Just at Gatwick. Looking forward to going back to the Valley and seeing what Bob's been building. Always try and get to first home league match.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Didn't make it to the Valley at all last season, not sure when I'll get down this season either, but boy I do miss the 'day'. Travel down from North Notts, park as close to the ground as possible, normally around Pound Park Rd, Thorntree Rd area, walk down past the ground, up to The Lib, a few pints and off to the ground. Yep miss it terribly, but I feel as though I'm there is spirit when doing the match thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So miss it - I'll be back...
  • Options

Just at Gatwick. Looking forward to going back to the Valley and seeing what Bob's been building. Always try and get to first home league match.

where you flying in from? Hope we put on a good game and its worth the journey. I am trying not to get too excited about this season, I think watching the world cup made me dislike a lot about the English game lol but I cant help it I am excited about our first home league game of the season and its against a good team too. COYR
  • Options
    wish i was there
  • Options
    This is my 50th season of watching Charlton. This morning I'll get the DLR to Bow for a show of Noel Gibson's paintings of east London streets, return to Deptford for a haircut and a shuffle round the junky market, before hopping on the train to Charlton. I was at the Colchester game, but the first Saturday afternoon of the League season is always special - the pitch pristine, the scent of mown grass, and the mounting excitement at five-to-three...
  • Options
    This is just my 3rd season of following Charlton - but I can relate 110% to AFKA's post.
    Can't wait!!!
    COYA!
  • Options
    Viewfinder, what happens if you find something really nice but really big at the market before the game???
  • Options
    most of u are bullshitters that don't even ever go to a game
  • Options
    Can't wait. Moved to a different seat in a different stand. Closer to the away support. Looking forward to the banter.
  • Options

charming!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Mixed feelings for me. On one hand I don't feel I've had enough summer yet and the start of football signals that it's coming to and end :-(
    On the other hand, it feels like ages since I've been to Charlton and I can't wait to see the stadium and the new team :-D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last game was the relegation game in 2006 best rendition of Valley Floyd Road Ever Fact.... I came back and that git cancelled the Southampton game on Boxing day... havnt been back since... SO its stings... and particularly this season, I am a glass half full as we know and this season I can see these boys really showing some great performances... exciting times....

Jealous from Melbourne...
  • Options

charming!
    ha yes I am a rude bastard sometimes. No offence
  • Options

Yep you're right, but it isn't through choice, you're obviously very fortunate, but remember you don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone.
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Viewfinder, what happens if you find something really nice but really big at the market before the game???

The great appeal of Deptford market is that there's nothing you'd actually want to buy: great mounds of shoes, seemingly unpaired, piled on a table; 1970s electrical equipment - not working; half a drum kit, rusting cutlery... I once spotted some aerosol cans with the nozzles missing.

• Options
    Was at Brentford but I'm looking forward to today even more
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Yep you're right, but it isn't through choice, you're obviously very fortunate, but remember you don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone.
    True. Its the untold fans on here that bleet on and on and act like they go every week but actually never even go and support that get on my nerves. I understand and sympathise with those that that want to be there but cant make it
  • Options
    Season ticket ready, on the booze since 10.30 can't wait coya
  • Options
    My 8th season since i had a season ticket, this is the worst yet, really missing it, especially as it feels like we might be an exciting team to watch this season, even if it is not all glory.

If money was no problem i would make the journey up from the Isle, for every Saturday game(impossible to get home for midweeks) but just can't do it at the moment, so jealous of you guys who still see 25+ games each season.

• Options

@Viewfinder you make Deptford sound like 1980's Romania.