Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should I eat meat? - Horizon 9pm Monday 18th

Comments

• Options
    ads said:

Absolutely CK, but I was referring to the more traditional Portuguese restaurants, where often the only vegetarian option is an omelette or a salad. Though one just around the corner from me does a fantastic veggie stir fry and a great vegetarian cannelloni as well as the best wild boar in town.

Funny enough we are going to a vegetarian restaurant tonight with West Sussex Addick (his wife's a vegetarian) - it serves some of the nicest food I have ever tasted.

Sabores veggie place in Loule is a good one if you get the chance

I would have to drive. I don't mind a meal without meat, but a meal without wine...

Thanks for the heads up though, you never know when a visiting teetotal veggie with a hire car will be in town. :-)
  • Options
    Sheffield - a lot of Quorn stuff, quorn spag bol, quorn sausages. Pesto pasta - that sort of thing. Tho she picked the kidney beans out of the chilli... its ethical for her jints but doesnt like textures of lot of stuff. its a groan...

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Sheffield - a lot of Quorn stuff, quorn spag bol, quorn sausages. Pesto pasta - that sort of thing. Tho she picked the kidney beans out of the chilli... its ethical for her jints but doesnt like textures of lot of stuff. its a groan...

.........but at least she'll go to heaven :-)
  • Options

@charltonkeston - what is a full veggie English breakfast

@Curb_It - what does a non vegetable eating vegetarian eat?

edit - I see Jints has answered one of these questions

Beans, toast, toms, mushroom, fried egg, and hash browns (that bit I'm not keen on, not really English).
    I dont think its the healthy option.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You should eat meat if you want to

You should not eat meat if you don't want to
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    PL54 said:

You're no fun! ;o)
  • Options
    Greenie said:

PL54 said:

You're no fun! ;o)

Oi son, got my eye on you and your provocating - don't make ME start getting my flags out ;-)
  • Options
    Is this the right thread to point out the beauty of the bab I've just got.? Chicken doner/lamb shish combo. Extra chilli and garlic sauce. Plus chips and hummus.

I love you addict up North but how can you not fancy that?
  • Options
    Boom said:

Is this the right thread to point out the beauty of the bab I've just got.? Chicken doner/lamb shish combo. Extra chilli and garlic sauce. Plus chips and hummus.

10 Pinter?

• Options
    Boom said:

Just no kissing on the lips ok ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Boom said:

Heart disease in a packet. Enjoy your grease bomb.

;o)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    So anyone got a view on what the TV programme's like?
  • Options
    I only watched the first one in full, saw bits of the second. The first one pretty much concluded with what i beleive, in that most things in moderation aren't a problem. The problem is however, that most of us eat too much red meat, and in itself that can be harmful, but that white meat is pretty harmless in comparison. At least I think that's what it said :- (
  • Options
    lost the stream
  • Options
    Most of our new meat eating friends can rarely get their heads around what food they will be served up if they come for a meal with us. A few months back, a friend stayed a weekend with us. We told him, we were veggies after he was booked in. One of the first things he did was contact his wife to describe the food. Very funny. They are both staying soon, so the reports must have been positive. :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    .oops
  • Options

Most of our new meat eating friends can rarely get their heads around what food they will be served up if they come for a meal with us. A few months back, a friend stayed a weekend with us. We told him, we were veggies after he was booked in. One of the first things he did was contact his wife to describe the food. Very funny. They are both staying soon, so the reports must have been positive. :-)

You make your friends book in when they come and visit you? What's that all about?!?
  • Options

You make your friends book in when they come and visit you? What's that all about?!?
    Posh house mine you know.
  • Options
    Sounds like it.

Had a chuckle at the image of your friend on the blower - '....and guess what love, their vegetarian carrots are just like the ones we get. Amazing!'

We're vegetarians, not aliens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:

Not a vegeterian but I don't buy the half-arsed evolutionary argument.

It's true that we are omnivores. It's also true that the ability to process meat gave hominods a big evolutionary advantage in developing cognitive functions. But we've now evolved and we don't need to eat meat to survive and thrive.
    For almost the whole of our history we were hunter-gatherers and ate what ever we could. In the last 10,000 years our diets have changed immeasurably due to the neolithic revolution and then the spread of new foods from the Americans to Eurasia and vice versa. We certainly didn't eat bread, spuds, corn, tomatoes, chillies or drink beer until 10,000 years ago way after our evolution into homo sapiens was complete. Nobody suggests that we should give up these foods because we didn't evolve while eating them.

The veggies are often accused of a holier than thou attitude, but it seems to me that the committed carnivores are usually worse.

Congratulations @Jints‌ I learnt around 12 new words in that post !
  • Options
    Personally, I think it's important a diet has a variety of meat and fish, yet will admit to being a hypocrite as there is no way I could kill, skin and butcher an animal. And I'm no animal lover either.

As for vegetarians, my opinion has definitely changed over the years and if for ethical reasons then I have huge respect for people that don't just talk the talk but make a commitment to stick to their principles. No willpower me. I'd be back on the sausage quicker than Jordan.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Personally, I think it's important a diet has a variety of meat and fish, yet will admit to being a hypocrite as there is no way I could kill, skin and butcher an animal. And I'm no animal lover either.

As for vegetarians, my opinion has definitely changed over the years and if for ethical reasons then I have huge respect for people that don't just talk the talk but make a commitment to stick to their principles. No willpower me. I'd be back on the sausage quicker than Jordan.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=465201000201820&pnref=story

you're not the only one AFKA :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014

From CNN
    ''It is interesting to know that the Dalai Lama is not vegan or vegetarian. It actually surprised me to find out that he eats animals.

In the following CNN interview Piers Morgan asks the Dalai Lama about his eating habits.

MORGAN: Your Holiness, I want to get into your life and the kind of lifestyle that you lead because you’re a fascinating man in many ways. First of all, you were a vegetarian. But then you got bored with that and went back to meat. Is that right?

DALAI LAMA: Yes, right. Of course, my early part of my life as in — under Tibetan, you see, our main diet non-vegetarian. Then after I came to India, 65, I give up eating meat and eggs and fish. Pure vegetarian. So, next, about 20 months, I remain that. Then some illness. The gallbladder, jaundice problem. So, I — my sort of face become yellow. And nails and eyes become yellow. So later, I jokingly telling people, at that time, I truly become living Buddha.

(LAUGHTER) DALAI LAMA: Yellow, yellow person.

(LAUGHTER) DALAI LAMA: So I really making sort of — making effort to promote vegetarianism, but I myself remain non-vegetarian.

Many leap to the conclusion that the Dalai Lama is hypocritical in his actions of eating meat, but looking a bit deeper you will find that is not the case. Living in Tibet is quite different from many other places in the world where meat alternatives, fruits, and vegetables are wildly available. The Tibetan high altitude environment is also not conducive for sustaining fresh crops, and as it is now, the Tibetans include meat in their diet as a means of survival. Many monasteries that opt for the vegetarian lifestyle take measures to import their foods to sustain their eating habits.

The evidence shows again and again that eating a vegetarian or vegan diet is healthy and an optimal way to eat, but some cultures may not be as up to date on this information or able to eat in this fashion. It may also be that the knowledge of Tibetan doctors is outdated when it comes to eating a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, “Turns out the Dalai Lama tried strict vegetarianism for a year and a half in the 1960s and developed hepatitis, at which point his doctors advised him to go back to his omnivorous ways. (He’s been criticized by some in the vegetarian community for having been an unhealthy vegetarian, possibly damaging his liver that way—he subsisted on a high-fat diet of mostly nuts and milk—and thus the medical necessity of his meat-eating has been questioned.)”

The Dalai Lama still eats meat but limits his intake, in other words he does the best he can. At the same time he plays a critical role in advocating for animal rights and welfare. He has worked with the Exile Tibetan Government to create “non-violent and environment-friendly farming practices” for a small scale farming industry. He has given speeches about ending animal experiments, has openly criticized factory farms, written letters opposing businesses that use harmful slaughtering practices, and talks freely about how vegetarianism is a positive way for people to live.''
  • Options
    Yes you can eat meat. No you cannot kill animals in the most painful and cruel way possible to satisfy a god for which there is no evidence.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Which god are you referring to, Nick?
    I think animals are mainly killed to satisfy hunger, not any God.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

You should eat meat; you shouldn't eat meat if you don't want to.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    http://www.meatfreemondays.com
    I just prefer veggie food especially Lebanese type foods, endless brilliant flavours. Plus made from scratch curries are stunning and it's all so so cheap. Yesterdays lunch ( actually it's a Lebanese breakfast) was made totally from scratch and it cost us just 80p each. We ate hummus, ful, boiled eggs, diced tomatoes, pittas and homemade fragrant mango chutney. Not fussed what others choose to eat although I would much prefer that animals weren't cruelly treated in the process. But I'll leave you all to eat your pink slime and worms;-) ( Yes I know it's a myth)
  • Options
    Anyone doing a Meat Free Monday, today?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Anyone doing a Meat Free Monday, today?

Oh shit missed that, I have just had lamb kebabs, honey roasted ham, beef tenderloin and a heap load of shellfish and sashimi.

I love buffets!