Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should I eat meat? - Horizon 9pm Monday 18th

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Salad said:

Been veggie nearly twenty years and I'm hardly ever ill.

Me too.
    God knows how you are a veggie where you live.
    Ditto, I've been veggie most of my life, nearly 50 now and not had a sick day in my 40s, ran London Marathon in 2:54 this year, so certainly fit and healthy. It is only in the modern western world that eating meat daily has become 'normal', it isn't necessary, far from it - it's responsible for a lot of major illness. More than enough protein in beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, peas, eggs, rice/quinoa, yoghurt, milk, cheese - even leafy greens have a fair bit.
    But meat tastes so much better than all that boring crap.

!
    I suppose that may be true.

I am pretty sure that in a lot, probably all, of processed meat there is some kind of chemical additives for colour and especially flavour, so Macdonalds tastes exactly the same wherever you get it (I don't know personally as I've never had a MacDonalds.

What you might be tasting is likely to have been concocted in a lab.

• Options
    To go back to the thread title, what was the answer ?
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Been dropping bits of chicken into the stir fry "This is nice, is it a new sauce?".....as much as I want to reveal the masterplan now, I have to be patient.

And she doesn't eat quorn or imitation meat either... "if it looks like a sausage and tastes like one and smells like one, i may aswell just eat a sausage"...playing the mind games.

What a wanker you are sir.
  • Options
    I really don't like the taste of meat at all, I don't know why, it just happened. But being veggie isn't about tofu and Quorn, I never touch the stuff. I'd volunteer to cook you doubters a Lebanese meal or Goan curry but I suppose as you are dead set against the idea of veggie food then it's not worth me trying ;-)
  • Options
    I love pretty much all vegetables (except aubergine....the Devils work) - but I still feel kind of cheated if I have a meal without meat.

I sometimes think I could be a vegetarian...... But then see a juicy steak, leg of lamb or belly pork - and know I couldn't last more than a couple of days.

Roast lamb with all the gubbins would be my death row dinner.
  • Options

I'd volunteer to cook you doubters a Lebanese meal or Goan curry but I suppose as you are dead set against the idea of veggie food then it's not worth me trying ;-)

I've never had a Lebanese meal, so I'd definitely be up for trying it, Mrs Still.

• Options

Fiiiiiish said:

Been dropping bits of chicken into the stir fry "This is nice, is it a new sauce?".....as much as I want to reveal the masterplan now, I have to be patient.

And she doesn't eat quorn or imitation meat either... "if it looks like a sausage and tastes like one and smells like one, i may aswell just eat a sausage"...playing the mind games.

What a wanker you are sir.
    Yes we are indeed sir.
  • Options

I have enjoyed a vegan diet for over 15 years. I'd be interested to know if there are other vegans on Charlton Life.
    COYR

Are they the ones with the pointy ears?
  • Options
    I'm not a veggie but I do eat a lot of veggie food. And, I very rarely eat red meat now, just out of choice. On the meat front I eat mainly chicken and fish.

I just feel that red meat is not good for the digestive system or for cholesterol levels in the body.

I used to love a bloody, juicy steak but now I, literally, couldn't stomach that.
  • Options

I have enjoyed a vegan diet for over 15 years. I'd be interested to know if there are other vegans on Charlton Life.
    COYR

*waves*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife is a veggie. I don't eat any vegetables apart from potatoes. We use so many separate pots and pans it's a joke. Washing up is a complete bastard.

How she eats the Quorn bacon is beyond me. Not that I've eaten the innersole of a shoe but I'd imagine it tastes very similar.

Spice up the Quorn mince in a spagbol and it's actually alright.

Not quite sure why anyone would give vegetarians any grief.

• Options
    red_murph said:

My wife is a veggie. I don't eat any vegetables apart from potatoes. We use so many separate pots and pans it's a joke. Washing up is a complete bastard.

How she eats the Quorn bacon is beyond me. Not that I've eaten the innersole of a shoe but I'd imagine it tastes very similar.

Spice up the Quorn mince in a spagbol and it's actually alright.

Not quite sure why anyone would give vegetarians any grief.

I cant and wont force being a veggie on anyone, (except those who eat in my house), so the only advice I can think of giving you is ; get a dishwasher and put the wife in charge of it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    red_murph said:

I don't eat any vegetables apart from potatoes.

Got a few friends like you, I find it odd behaviour in an adult - a lot claim they were "forced" to eat vegetables as a child, and vowed never to do so as a "grown up" - that's the best way to punish your parents, risk your own health...

The missus has become adept at disguising veg in mince based dishes if they stay with us, not one of them has ever noticed, in fact they have often commented on how good it is.

Odd as being a veggie, but each to their own.

Edited that - as I wrote "forced to eat meat" instead of vegetables first time (obviously a balanced diet isn't good for the brain..) - but by subsequent comments, I think that luckily others realised what I meant...
  • Options

I love pretty much all vegetables (except aubergine

How can anyone not like Aubergine?

On a side note it is not a vegetable.
  • Options

red_murph said:

Got a few friends like you, I find it odd behaviour in an adult - a lot claim they were "forced" to eat meat as a child, and vowed never to do so as a "grown up" - that's the best way to punish your parents, risk your own health...

The missus has become adept at disguising veg in mince based dishes if they stay with us, not one of them has ever noticed, in fact they have often commented on how good it is.

I dont eat vegetables other than potatoes either.
  • Options

red_murph said:

Got a few friends like you, I find it odd behaviour in an adult - a lot claim they were "forced" to eat meat as a child, and vowed never to do so as a "grown up" - that's the best way to punish your parents, risk your own health...

I've realised I was talking a bit of crap there Algarve and it's certainly not from choice. I do now eat onions, peppers and carrots (if they are finally diced). I'll also try everything once at least in an effort to get better.

I really wish I could eat more vegetables but it's the texture more than anything and I can only put it down to my Grandad forcing me to eat everything on my plate as a youngster and not being allowed to leave the table until I'd done so, even if it made me sick, which it often did.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

red_murph said:

This is kind of funny as I know loads of people who were forced to eat meat that don't now because they can't bring themselves to eat it in adult life.

Far less do it the way you have described.

All vegetables, meats, nuts, beans and pulses are welcome to my plate.
  • Options

I love pretty much all vegetables (except aubergine

How can anyone not like Aubergine?

On a side note it is not a vegetable.
    Cool. I pretty much like all vegetables then :)
  • Options
    Reading this thread has made me hungry, I'm off for a bacon, Brie and cranberry baguette
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Dazzler21 said:

red_murph said:

This is kind of funny as I know loads of people who were forced to eat meat that don't now because they can't bring themselves to eat it in adult life.

Far less do it the way you have described.

All vegetables, meats, nuts, beans and pulses are welcome to my plate.
    That's the thing about moving in different circles I guess. I have never, ever met anyone who is now a veggie because they were forced to eat meat as a child and I don't know of any kids whose parents disguise meat to get them to eat it. I never knew anyone at school who was forced to eat meat, and as far as I recall no-one on this thread has cited that as a reason for being veggie.

If you are talking about older kids who want to be veggie for moral reasons, but are not permitted, rather than just cannot stomach any kind of meat in any of it's many forms, that's different - although I have never met anyone to whom that has happened either. Parents tend to accept it, even though they probably take the piss...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    red_murph said:

red_murph said:

I've realised I was talking a bit of crap there Algarve and it's certainly not from choice. I do now eat onions, peppers and carrots (if they are finally diced). I'll also try everything once at least in an effort to get better.

I really wish I could eat more vegetables but it's the texture more than anything and I can only put it down to my Grandad forcing me to eat everything on my plate as a youngster and not being allowed to leave the table until I'd done so, even if it made me sick, which it often did.
    They say (whoever they are) that you need to try something a dozen times to develop a taste (or at least clear the revulsion) for something. My missus has done it with olives. Although they are still not her first food of choice, if they have been marinated and are quite soft, she'll have a couple now.
  • Options

They say (whoever they are) that you need to try something a dozen times to develop a taste (or at least clear the revulsion) for something.

Had the same thing with beer and fags but managed to get over it as you say
  • Options
    Addicted said:

They say (whoever they are) that you need to try something a dozen times to develop a taste (or at least clear the revulsion) for something.

Had the same thing with beer and fags but managed to get over it as you say
    I dont think he meant a dozen a day Addicted!

smilingalcoholicsmokingafagface