Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Other football clubs you have personal links with?

Maybe the first live football game you went to wasnt Charlton but another team?
The other half supports another club that you get dragged to every now and then?
Maybe you have siblings who support other teams, that kind of thing.

For me, the first live football match I ever saw was Ipswich v Blackburn in 1993, so a link to Ipswich for starting my desire to watch live footy.
Most of my life Ive lived in North Essex, so the first team I watched regularly were our opponents last week Colchester United.
The Irish (Cork based) half of my family support Celtic, and my uncle has a season ticket with Cobh Ramblers in the League of Ireland, he took me to see them a few times.
Other half supports Chelsea, so Ive been to them a few times.
Dulwich Hamlet are my non-league team and I go to watch them when Charlton are away and Im not going.

Comments

• Options
    Used to go and watch Ashford Town (now Ashford United) when I was younger
    Missus and her family are all Palace (not gone to watch them though!)
  • Options
    Non league team is Farnborough Town.
  • Options
    I have recently adopted Hartlepool as my other team after discovering they are the only team in the

Football league with no foreign players.
  • Options
    @CAFCTrev‌ how on earth do you end up a charlton fan then?
  • Options
    None league team is North Ferriby United as I'm a student at Hull University.
  • Options
    I used to go watch Wimbledon regularly with some mates
  • Options
    Man Utd.

Dad supports them ergo I supported them as a youngster.
    Used to go to many of the London games and up to Old Trafford couple times a season.

It was only once we went up to Div 1 and second away game was against Man Utd that I had to make a choice. Typically I chose Charlton so only supported Man Utd when they were relatively inept in the league.
  • Options
    Stockport County as I have lived in the town since being dragged ooop north in 1977. And Arsenal as my whole family are Gooners
  • Options
    Lived in North-West London when I was younger. Got taken on a Beavers trip (insert your own joke) to Vicarage Road when I was 5 or 6, to watch Watford Reserves vs Luton Reserves, my first visit to a proper football ground. Had a Watford scarf and everything. Moved shortly afterwards, and by the time I was 10 had forgotten about John Barnes and Luther Blissett and replaced them with Bob Bolder and Carl Leaburn.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought everyone in Stockport supports Citeh !!!
  • Options
    Welling United... Only live round the corner
    Hailsham Town... Nan lives there yet have never been to see them
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Some of my family moved to Thanet in the mid seventies so I watched Margate occasionally when visiting. In addition my brother in law was very involved with the Club and served on the Committee at one time.

Margate are therefore my non league team because of the above.

I also have a soft spot for Gillingham as I've lived in their catchment area for 30 years and got to know a few (now former) players as our children were at the same schools.
  • Options
    Liverpool - first match I remember watching on TV as a kid was the 1965 FA Cup Final - they beat Leeds 2-1. They've been my second team ever since.

Ross County - local team to Foulis Castle - the seat of the Munro Clan.

Stoke City - I have a Group role with the parent company and work with the club regularly - but certainly don't support them!!!
  • Options
    First match I went to was 1967 FA Cup Final (Spurs v Chelsea). My grandad grew up in Walthamstow and supported Spurs. After that I nagged him to take me to see a local team (he lived in Abbey Wood). As luck would have it he took me to Charlton first and my next half dozen games were at The Valley. He also took me to a few at Millwall and Palace (who were then in Division 1 - late 60s). But I never regarded myself as supporting them. Spurs were my second team and as they were in a different division to Charlton a conflict never arose. Strangely after Spurs 1 season in Division 2 in the mid 70s when they were in direct opposition to Charlton any affinity I had to them disappeared and never returned. If Charlton folded I would go and watch Leyton Orient
  • Options
    Oakwood FC in the Sussex County League - my old man was physio for them back in the late 80s/early 90s - I'd have probably been kit man or something now if we'd have stayed involved!!
  • Options
    At secondary school (in Beckenham) if you didn't support who was at the top end of the First Division you were required to support the local team - which sadly was Crystal Paralysis - so used to be a nominal supporter. Never had any intention of going to a game. Some lads were regulars but not many.

Never went to any regular football until my lads got the Football for a Fiver flyers in the school bag home. Took them to a game in the push back to Championship and ended up going to all the last 8 or so games of that season as got hooked.

Season tickets beckoned.....

• Options

@CAFCTrev‌ how on earth do you end up a charlton fan then?

Im from Leicester originally and all of my (English half) family are Leicester fans. I moved to Woolwich in my 20s and Charlton were the local team. I was missing live footy badly and went to a few Charlton games as a neutral to get a fix, only to keep going back! Now here I am years later as a season ticket holder.
  • Options
    Dad, Brother, Both Uncles, (Both Grandads) support(ed) Ars*nal.
    ex-Brother-In-Law is part of the physio team at Ars*nal.

My Dad hasnt spoken to me for the best part of 30 years since I decided I preferred the lillywhite side of North London ;)
  • Options

At secondary school (in Beckenham) if you didn't support who was at the top end of the First Division you were required to support the local team - which sadly was Crystal Paralysis - so used to be a nominal supporter. Never had any intention of going to a game. Some lads were regulars but not many.

Never went to any regular football until my lads got the Football for a Fiver flyers in the school bag home. Took them to a game in the push back to Championship and ended up going to all the last 8 or so games of that season as got hooked.

Season tickets beckoned.....

Wow a real living example of a football for a fiver covert! Hats off to you sir!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mate lives in the Orient ground (well the flats built into it) so tend to see them and keep an eye out.

Uni in Southampton so have followed them ever since though dont go to games.
  • Options
    First match was at Gillingham.

I worked on the turnstiles at Fulham and sold programmes at Chelsea. Was always handy for watching free games, getting players to sign shirts and programmes and then selling them on ebay.

I usually go and watch Fiorentina play about once a season (twice last season).
  • Options
    I was born in Portsmouth and have never forgotten the best ever half back line, Scoular,Frogatt, Dickinson. My Dad was in the regular Army, so growing up I watched Liverpool, Arsenal, Watford, Southend, before meeting my Plumstead born wife and discovering CAFC. Add Wolves when I was promoted to the Midlands, and I've been everywhere man.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

First match was at Gillingham.

I worked on the turnstiles at Fulham and sold programmes at Chelsea. Was always handy for watching free games, getting players to sign shirts and programmes and then selling them on ebay.

I usually go and watch Fiorentina play about once a season (twice last season).

For 2 years I sold programmes outside Col Us old Layer Road ground. Loved it!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I dont follow them as such, but I do look out for Peterborough's results as I used to live about 20 minutes away from the ground so I saw them a few times when I was younger
  • Options
    Aberdeen - Where my dads family are from

Parma - Saw them play Arsenal on tv when I was a kid in the cup winners cup in 94 and wanted them to win. Since then have seen them a few times visit the uk and been to Parma a few times aswell.

Sampdoria - Played in a charity match in May at the Luigi Ferraris, was brilliant and the fans were great who were also playing. Also seen them play Parma, both clubs have an alliance.
  • Options
    York City - family connections in York and have followed them since I was little (I remember a last minute win against arsenal in the cup).
  • Options
    Dartford are my non league team, and I travelled home and away in the eighties. Living in Spain, my Spanish team are Deportivo La Coruña, who I try to see when they are in the Barcelona area.
    Plus my dad was an Arsenal fan, so bit of a soft spot there.