Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Other football clubs you have personal links with?

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

At secondary school (in Beckenham) if you didn't support who was at the top end of the First Division you were required to support the local team - which sadly was Crystal Paralysis - so used to be a nominal supporter. Never had any intention of going to a game. Some lads were regulars but not many.

Never went to any regular football until my lads got the Football for a Fiver flyers in the school bag home. Took them to a game in the push back to Championship and ended up going to all the last 8 or so games of that season as got hooked.

Season tickets beckoned.....

Wow a real living example of a football for a fiver covert! Hats off to you sir!
    Have to say that I never expected to like going to football as much. Wish I'd discovered it earlier on in my life - but there you go.

The fact that Charlton is affordable plays a big part in going, too. A former colleague of mine got to the top of the list for a season ticket at Arsenal a couple of seasons back. He had the choice of paying £1400 or so for a season of what he predicted as being "probably disappointing at best" or going back to the bottom of the waiting list. He didn't shell out the money, suffice it to say.
  • Options
    'Supported' Newcastle as a wee'un... think I liked their kit at the time.

Bayswater City in Australia I've always kept an eye out for..

Was the first in my football family to properly support a club, glad I chose Charlton :-)
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I have recently adopted Hartlepool as my other team after discovering they are the only team in the

Football league with no foreign players.

Welcome to the forum Mr farage
    Nothing wrong with being patriotic.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    dulwich hamlet, brighton and brentford
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Even though i grew up in St Pauls Cray Orpington. As a kid I was a big Leeds United fan. My first memories of watching football was the 1972 FA cup final when Leeds beat Arsenal 1-0, I was 7 at the time. I loved Leeds my bedroom was a shrine to them I had scrap books and collected all the newspaper cuttings every week and could still name the great side of the early seventies to this day. For my birthday my dad would take me to Elland Road every February and it always seemed to be against the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United or Manchester City. I also have really fond memories of going to Upton Park with my dad to watch West Ham v Leeds in 1975/6 really happy nostalgic memories
    During all this time I used to go to the Valley with my best mate and his dad who was Charlton mad my first game at the Valley being in 1971!.
    By the time I was in my early teens I was going to more and more Charlton games and before I realised it I was a die hard mad Charlton fan and have remained so to this day. Leeds are very much my second team and I have a soft spot for Peterborough as they are my local side now.
  • Options
    My brother played for Cambridge United when Big Ron was manager, so I often look out for their results.
  • Options
    My dad used to take me to watch man utd when they went title less for 26 years. When I was old enough to go to matches without him I chose to go with mates to charlton just in time to see the east terrace close, nearly go bust and leave the valley. (What's the opposite of glory hunter?)
    My mums uncle was a director (May have been chairman) of stains town.
    I've been told my grandad and his brother guested for Luton town around the war years, though I've never seen it documented.
    I adopted Montrose when all my mates decided to pick a Scottish team. I don't think they've been out of the bottom division but I'm the only one to actually go up and watch my adopted side.
  • Options
    Hitchin Town as a kid back when Stevenage Borough were in the Isthmian league with them. Quite a few trips to Highbury up until '96, when I inexplicably went the Charlton route, and most of my mates are Arsenal so I maintain a bit of a soft spot and go to the occasional away game
  • Options
    Phoenix Sports
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Bromley 'til I die, Bromley 'til I die.......

Moved away years ago though but try to see them once or twice per season.
  • Options

My dad used to take me to watch man utd when they went title less for 26 years. When I was old enough to go to matches without him I chose to go with mates to charlton just in time to see the east terrace close, nearly go bust and leave the valley. (What's the opposite of glory hunter?)
    My mums uncle was a director (May have been chairman) of stains town.
    I've been told my grandad and his brother guested for Luton town around the war years, though I've never seen it documented.
    I adopted Montrose when all my mates decided to pick a Scottish team. I don't think they've been out of the bottom division but I'm the only one to actually go up and watch my adopted side.

My Scottish team is and has been Berwick Rangers for close on 40 years for the same reason.

There's also the added bonus that my Scottish team is in fact English.
  • Options
    Melchester Rovers.
  • Options

Bromley 'til I die, Bromley 'til I die.......

Moved away years ago though but try to see them once or twice per season.

Im multiple teams till I die....
  • Options
    Hearts, moved down from Edinburgh when I was three.

me and my dad are hearts and my mum's family (including 6 brothers, 2 sisters and 30some cousins) are all hibs, I really enjoyed Sunday!

I have always been hearts so if anything charlton are my adopted team, @jackcharlton‌ was the man that took me to the valley as at primary school I was heading towards millwall.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I thought everyone in Stockport supports Citeh !!!

Your not wrong their MrOneLung lol
  • Options
    Went to Exeter while at uni there so always look at their results. Hereford and Havant & Waterlooville are my non-league teams on the back of exceptional football manager games with them.
  • Options
    Odense Boldklub (OB); Odense Ballclub! I was born here and still lives in Odense where I study, on the island Funen, in Denmark. Some of you may know OB since it's one of the biggest clubs in Denmark and have been playing in the Europa League for a few years recently!

I've played for the club as a kid myself, and been to the stadium many times. My father played division football for Næsby Boldklub, also here in Odense, so I do support them as well.

FC København (FC Copenhagen) will be playing Leverkusen tonight in the qualifications for Champions League, and I'll always cheer for any Danish team out in Europe! :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

As CAFC Trevs other half I can say I never dragged him to Chelsea, he was more than willing to watch.
    The best part of my family are Chelsea and we always will be. My Brother and Nephews all support Liverpool and My Sister West Ham. But tickets are overpriced plus additional membership fees I find myself only really being able to go to FA Cup games most seasons.

Admittedly Charlton are my second team. Started going 4 years ago with Trev, in fact it was our first date. I love watching Live football and not being able to afford seeing my first team I have developed a love for going to Charlton. I have had a season ticket for the last two seasons and been to a few away games. I love the atmosphere, and whether good or bad I always have a good time.

• Options
    My dad's always been a big fan of two clubs Man U and FC bruges in Belgium. Took me to the Bruges games but never really felt at home untill i started going to games of my hometeam (we really hate FC Bruges, you cant imagine the hate in the air when we play them) and hooked ever since (esp when my brother also started playing for them in the youth)

Spurs has also to do with my dad, took me to Old trafford when i was nine to see a game against Spurs. Dad and the uncles were very giddy and almost teen like the whole day, in awe of their hollow ground but during the game i kept yelling for the other side (incidentally the last win at OT for spurs up untill last season), when i got back i started following and collecting everything about Spurs.

Suffice to say that my dad stopped taking me to football games after that and 4 games a year we cant be in the same room together because it ends in tears. Esp the Gent-Bruges games can cause silence between us for some time, its childish and we both know it but if we try discussing the game it ends in shouting and name calling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luton 'til I was 24. Lived in Northampton for a couple of years so soft spot for them too.

Since I have worked in a pub Albufeira, I look out for the results of about 50 teams! Because of nice people I have met over the years who follow clubs from Tonbridge Angels to Stenhousmuir.

Don't give a monkeys about the big teams of course, just the proper clubs.
  • Options
    Born and dragged up in Battersea so a whole family of chelsea supporters, when we moved to North heath in 63, me and my dad swopped allegiance to Charlton, best decision ever.
  • Options
    Only club i've ever been to watch was as a kid, before I went to Charlton games more regularly I watched Hallam F.C. Had a season ticket for about 4 years.
    https://www.hallamfc.co.uk/

Never followed with interest any other league club.
  • Options
    CAFC_TINI said:

But tickets are overpriced plus additional membership fees I find myself only really being able to go to FA Cup games most seasons.

Your club has turned it's back on you, by pricing you out of attendance. Turn your back on them.

Your first date with Trev was to watch Charlton? Blimey.

Was Nando's shut Trev?

• Options

CAFC_TINI said:

But tickets are overpriced plus additional membership fees I find myself only really being able to go to FA Cup games most seasons.

Your club has turned it's back on you, by pricing you out of attendance. Turn your back on them.

Was Nando's shut Trev?

Charlton v Leyton Orient no less, live on Sky, lost 0-1. About as good as Charlton dates get.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

CAFC_TINI said:

Was Nando's shut Trev?

Charlton v Leyton Orient no less, live on Sky, lost 0-1. About as good as Charlton dates get.
    Still together 4 and a half years later so worked a treat!... He knew football was the way to my heart.. not food!
  • Options
    Used to go and watch Scarborough now and again before they folded. Had a few giggles with the Sea Dogs.
  • Options
    Follow Gillingham as a girl I know's boyfriend plays for them. New signing from Brentford, Luke Norris. Other than that, not really!
  • Options
    I follow WBA a lot more now as a family member made his debut last season and is now on the subs bench regularly.

Hoping he becomes first team regular this season. He may decide to play for wales over England though.
  • Options
    Kiwis are thin on the ground throughout English football, so I want their teams to do well where ever that may be but not when playing against Charlton. That means West Ham for Winston Reid and Leicester for Chris Wood (Imagine how conflicted i was when Wood was playing for Millwall!). Burnley have a young player Howieson in their wider squad. Tommy Smith at Ipswich. Tim Payne at Blackburn (wider squad).

As a boy it was Liverpool (their 1980s glory days, and hell, every boy in NZ supported them)

My community club as a boy was Motueka AFC. Proudest day of my life seeing on international broadcast some punter waving the Motueka AFC flag at the 2010 World Cup NZ v Italy (1-1 Chris Wood within a whisker of getting a winning goal and Tommy Smith poor lad b*ggered by De Rossi for a penalty)

Now though my community club is Kapiti Coast United www.kcu.co.nz (the club also linked to Delort)