Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley Atmosphere

2»

Comments

• Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I almost lost my voice last night so was loud from my point of view lol

So it was you that shattered my eardrums. You will hear shortly from my solicitor!!
  • Options
    West upper block Q , I thought Atmosphere was good last night. First time in a while iv left with a sore throat !

As for Millwall fans coming on here, it's so they can practice their reading and writing. Their forums are in pictures !
  • Options

Was dead in the home stands last season when we played there. Hopefully getting a few 150 quid season ticket holders in will add to the atmosphere this season. Suppose it doesn't help when you give away so many tickets to neutrals.

You do care! How sweet.

• Options

crewton said:

To be honest, I thought the Valley was like a morgue for most of the game and it was only Derby fans making any noise. It livened up at 3-1, but if you aren't going to cheer when you're 3-1 up, when are you?!

Also, how you can know that anyone was outsinging anyone when both sets of fans are singing the same song I'm not sure!

You must be hard of hearing Crewton!
    Pardon ?

• Options
    I thought there was a cracking atmosphere last night and at times rivalled the noise & support generated at THAT Cardiff game.

Attendance was very respectable for a midweek game in August when some regulars will be away on holiday .

I do acknowledge that the North Upper is the main source of the noise but can assure you that there are very vocal fans in all other areas. I too had a sore throat by 10pm last night....and sore hands.

A continuance of the success on the pitch & the way BB has us playing can only mean there is every reason to believe said atmosphere will get even better. The players definitely respond to our support when we out sing the opposition fans in the Jimmy Seed although the Derby fans did play their part .

Let's hope we reach next May without hearing those pathetic & negative boos when things aren't going our way !

And as BDL says , let's continue to make some noise !!!

• Options
    To be honest yesterdays atmosphere was poor for what it was, a huge win against a big team. Good at 3-1 and FT and that's about that. Normally quite positive about our support but was very dry yesterday, think the move of the masses needs to be done sooner rather than later, if some guys in the North Upper actually go sit elsewhere in the stadium, they'll realise why some teams say we have a poor atmosphere. Their own talking in the JS probably mutes us.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be great if results hold up and the next home game sees a bumper gate after a break and end of holidays...Perhaps the club can leverage results and positive noises about stadium and catering to get fans back in... Perhaps we see less empty seats?
    Perhaps the atmosphere builds as we dare to believe again?
    As for Fanny's sore bits...well I'm not going there :)
  • Options

Wouldn't it be great if results hold up and the next home game sees a bumper gate after a break and end of holidays...Perhaps the club can leverage results and positive noises about stadium and catering to get fans back in... Perhaps we see less empty seats?
    Perhaps the atmosphere builds as we dare to believe again?
    As for Fanny's sore bits...well I'm not going there :)

You most definitely are NOT, seriously_red !

• Options
    I think the lack of volume is solely down to fans being in shock at the football being played. We're just not used to this passing to our own players lark, and this scoring goals. It's just taking time to readjust ;-)
  • Options

Was dead in the home stands last season when we played there. Hopefully getting a few 150 quid season ticket holders in will add to the atmosphere this season. Suppose it doesn't help when you give away so many tickets to neutrals.

And especially brain dead in the Jimmy Seed you are correct SpannerFan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

North stand did their bit, A block were heard too. I sat in upper west and don't think I will again, some decent people to have a chat with but if you get in with the chants it seems like some people get offended/think you're too loud. I don't get why east and west stand people don't get as loud, some people didn't even stand up when we scored...

I know what you mean. I once almost found myself shushing my 7 year old nephew in the West before realising that he was just getting behind the team and that people should expect a bit of noise every once in a while at a football match. However, people have very different personalities and different ways of expressing themselves and showing support. I'd say I'm fairly loud and would love the whole place to be rocking but appreciate that some people will just sit and clap.
  • Options

So what brings you to a rival (yes, rival otherwise you wouldn't be here) forum at 9.30pm?

Secret Charlton lover.
    Never denied you was a rival. Just not a very important one.

Well your most important one is twice as big as you, if not more - and they are in the Premier League, where you have never been. So you might as well just admit that you know we're the only rival in the area worth your time.

Unless you're one of those Millwall fans who thinks of Leeds and Birmingham as 'rivals' simply because other people had fight with said fanbases about thirty years ago.

MUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    cafctom said:

So what brings you to a rival (yes, rival otherwise you wouldn't be here) forum at 9.30pm?

Secret Charlton lover.
    Never denied you was a rival. Just not a very important one.

Well your most important one is twice as big as you, if not more - and they are in the Premier League, where you have never been. So you might as well just admit that you know we're the only rival in the area worth your time.

Unless you're one of those Millwall fans who thinks of Leeds and Birmingham as 'rivals' simply because other people had fight with said fanbases about thirty years ago.

MUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    I make West Ham at least 4x bigger than Millwall. Its like Tottenham/ Stevenage in reality.
  • Options
    If we keep the form up the crowds will improve dramatically. My only concern is, how wil the crowd deal with adversity when it inevitably arises? I really hope they don't refer to type circa 2005-2012.
  • Options

We're about the only team these days who come in numbers to the Den and make a noise all game ... and will do the same again this season.
  • Options
    in MillwallFan's defence the Charlton fans are diabolical. It's literally like a library at the Valley bar north upper!

too much focus on being a family club, shame really as supporters certainly can be the 12th man.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    banckzy said:

in MillwallFan's defence the Charlton fans are diabolical. It's literally like a library at the Valley bar north upper!

too much focus on being a family club, shame really as supporters certainly can be the 12th man.

The only time i have heard any noise at the den is when they won their cup final 4-0. Other than that wank atmosphere.

I have also been there as a neutral and its empty almost pre season. Atmosphere at the Den is a myth.
  • Options
    banckzy said:

Are you sure ?

Presumably you don't visit too many other grounds in the Championship....

• Options
    In my experience, the home fans are always quieter then away fans in this country, unless the home club is having a unusual moment of glory like Palace in the Premiership and not being crap last season.

I have never been to one of the clubs meant to have fantastic loud passionate home fans and not come away thinking is that it.

Some clubs just market themselves as louder on a regular basis, based normally on media spin again like Palace. ;-)

• Options
    People have suggested getting others to move seats.

How well did that go down last time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

banckzy said:

Are you sure ?

yeah I've been to quite a few actually. Forest, QPR + Hull (when they was there), Brighton, Watford and Millwall to name a few. all of them were louder than Charlton. I'm a Charlton fan but we definitely have one of the quietest supporters in the league.
  • Options
    banckzy said:

banckzy said:

Are you sure ?

yeah I've been to quite a few actually. Forest, QPR + Hull (when they was there), Brighton, Watford and Millwall to name a few. all of them were louder than Charlton. I'm a Charlton fan but we definitely have one of the quietest supporters in the league.
    Qpr and Watford louder than the Valley? You sure? There's literally about 15 blokes at qpr who stand and sing. I reckon our A block make more noise than them. Watford just have those embarassing Palace wanna-be's and they make very little noise. Brighton's ground was designed to make the fans louder, but it does sound impressive.

Honestly think on our day the Valley atmosphere would be in the playoffs, but across the season our atmosphere would probably be mid table
  • Options
    banckzy said:

banckzy said:

Are you sure ?

Disagree, I've been plenty of away grounds and I always think the home fans are quiet. Fact is most grounds home support isn't the greatest in terms of noise.
  • Options
    If you consider that we have lost more home games than we have won in the last two seasons, i would say our fans overall where ever they sit have been very good and are desperate to get behind the new team. The funny thing was most people were in a state of shock in those 20 mins of good passing on tuesday and actually were purring like my cat katrien.
  • Options
    Correct Soapbox.... Respect to those that have sat through the very difficult season, and I've got a feeling you are all gonna get rewarded this time round....
  • Options
    most away teams are louder than the home crowd,we do make lots of noise away but we don't seem as noisy as Palace and Smallwall at home