Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the worst city in England?

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

dizzee said:

We're not very friendly down here, but definitely the best place to live in the country by a very long way.

You should try Cornwall, Dizzee ...... it's capital city has a population of 20,000!
    We're pretty friendly and like good beer.

Do Counties have capital cities ? What is the capital city of Bedfordshire ? or Surrey ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Oggy Red said:

dizzee said:

We're not very friendly down here, but definitely the best place to live in the country by a very long way.

You should try Cornwall, Dizzee ...... it's capital city has a population of 20,000!
    We're pretty friendly and like good beer.

Do Counties have capital cities ? What is the capital city of Bedfordshire ? or Surrey ?
    'County towns', but it's not always the one you'd expect.
  • Options
    Places visited... Sunderland top of the pile, the difference between there and 10 miles up the road is remarkable! Also the only place I'd seen a Greggs restaurant. Their best shops were Debenhams and Sports Direct! It has been 4 years since I last went mind so might have changed...

Birmingham is the only city that you seem to spend an hour searching for a pub that's not a crack den. I've also always had a disliking for Manchester. The locals I've found twice as bad as Londoners for rudeness and its just a polished turd
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Wolverhampton, and I remember reading something not so long ago that it was voted in the top five world's worse cities to attend.
  • Options
    Most football grounds are in the worst parts of cities, I think that may be clouding people's judgement of Sheffield for example.

Stoke
  • Options
    Always find Birmingham incredibly depressing. They always go on about how it's improved and proudly show you the walkabout as an example of the city's new found development. Nice people but they sound like moomins and all get dressed up in their Sunday best to visit rancid chain pubs because they believe it's the height of sophistication. In many ways I think it would be kinder if the government ran an eradication programme and we all agreed that we'd not talk about it again.

Blackpool is as bad. Whenever I've been there for a game I find myself in some stinking, sticky floored dive looking around at the fat legged hen parties and stoic Scottish holiday makers desperately guzzling vile brews and I think, "this is your holiday, the bit of the year you look forward to, the bit that makes all of the rest of the dirge worthwhile. You should end it."
  • Options
    London best and worst.

Best for the sights an history worst for many reasons
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Most football grounds are in the worst parts of cities, I think that may be clouding people's judgement of Sheffield for example.

Completely agree. Spent the weekend in Sheffield in March for an event of some sort that I seem to have blocked out of my memory and it's a lovely city.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Stoke. London isn't the best in the UK, it's the best in the World by a long way. London and it's history is my passion and I never tire of it.

Agree with London being the best city in the world but wouldn't say by a long way - New York runs it close in my opinion.

Stoke? I'll have you know that I happen to work there and at this precise moment I'm looking out of my office window at the rain sun drenched streets.

Ok fair comment.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    There is no way we can categorically say which cities are the best and which are the worst, I think we need to make sure we all realise this.

That however doesn't mean we can't have a opinion. I love London, I grew up here, it's diverse and it's interesting. To me it's the greatest city in the world. That said sometimes I hate it. For example when I'm broke it's crap or take for example today I popped down to Oxford St to buy the missus a present and I couldn't move for tourists*...but then I suppose if it wasn't so great they wouldn't be here in the first place.

The worst city I have ever been to is hard. I go to the University of Hull, the place has a bad reputation but I love it. It's cheap, on the most part the people are friendly and it's got a quaint charm to it...but I don't want to spend the rest of my life living there.

I'd have to say Doncaster. I've had many stop overs there on my way to Hull and the occasional away day. I've almost always found the place desolate and deserted bar a few kids hanging round in the station car park. Somebody once told me that Doncaster was "the place society went to die." I think that's a little harsh, but it's not too far from the truth.

*Interesting story, at Oxford Circus I saw a busker playing the guitar with around 10 Japanese tourists standing around him. Following the conclusion of Stairway to Heaven they all cheered and applauded and walked off without leaving him a penny, unfortunately I only had 50p I could chuck his way.
  • Options
    Doncaster is not a city although I read someplace they had aspirations.
    Chelmsford has never impressed me. Completely without character.
  • Options
    London is the best

Coventry is the worst
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Birmingham.
    If the whole thing was paved over, I don't think anyone outside of Brum would really care, except those (like myself) who commute between the North East and London who would notice a considerable reduction in the travel time.

If you are travelling from the North East to London how does B'ham effect you?
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Birmingham.
    If the whole thing was paved over, I don't think anyone outside of Brum would really care, except those (like myself) who commute between the North East and London who would notice a considerable reduction in the travel time.

If you are travelling from the North East to London how does B'ham effect you?
    Ugh, typo, I meant the North West. I obviously have House of Lords syndrome.
  • Options
    Love Sheffield, people are absolutely amazing people.
  • Options

All of them? Including the red half?
  • Options

All of them? Including the red half?
    Good point.

• Options
    By the way, people saying Hillsborough and surrounding area is a S**t hole, I beg to differ, the terrace houses on the side streets next to it might be a little run down as most are rented properties but just a mile up the road towards Wadlsey is nice, next door to SWFC is Hillsborough parkimage
  • Options

Always find Birmingham incredibly depressing. They always go on about how it's improved and proudly show you the walkabout as an example of the city's new found development. Nice people but they sound like moomins and all get dressed up in their Sunday best to visit rancid chain pubs because they believe it's the height of sophistication. In many ways I think it would be kinder if the government ran an eradication programme and we all agreed that we'd not talk about it again.

Blackpool is as bad. Whenever I've been there for a game I find myself in some stinking, sticky floored dive looking around at the fat legged hen parties and stoic Scottish holiday makers desperately guzzling vile brews and I think, "this is your holiday, the bit of the year you look forward to, the bit that makes all of the rest of the dirge worthwhile. You should end it."

I grew up 20 miles from Birmingham and went to Uni there and Morts has pretty much nailed it. It's got a grand old history with its part in the industrial revolution etc. It might not be glamorous but it's what put it on the map but instead of sympathetically celebrating that they've made the centre of the city look like any other chain-restaurant monopoly run town centre just with more canals.

Still the best place in the world to get a curry though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

By the way, people saying Hillsborough and surrounding area is a S**t hole, I beg to differ, the terrace houses on the side streets next to it might be a little run down as most are rented properties but just a mile up the road towards Wadlsey is nice, next door to SWFC is Hillsborough parkimage

t'Come t'Sheffield. We got t'trees and t'allsorts.

t'This t'message t'were brought t'to t'you by t'Sheffield t'tourist board.
  • Options

I notice there is a lamp post to the left of your picture.
    Gas or electric?
  • Options

Gas or electric?
    Gas.

• Options
    Dalston--------------------end of the World
  • Options

Gas or electric?
    Gas.

You cant kid me, you've Photoshopped that in ;-)
  • Options

t'Twat.
    I watched that 'Threads' promotional film from the 80s the other day Piggy, I thought the South Yorkshire Urban Planners showed some real vision in their proposals to improve Sheffield town centre. Whatever happened to those upgrades, I bet Thatcher pulled the plug on them didn't she, the old northern hating cow?

• Options
    Can I put a vote a vote in for Southampton....it really isn't very nice. I think it gets overlooked in its shiteness by being (very) down south.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Can we keep to this list please:

Bath
    Birmingham
    Bradford
    Brighton & Hove
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Canterbury
    Carlisle
    Chelmsford
    Chester
    Chichester
    City of London
    City of Westminster
    Coventry
    Derby
    Durham
    Ely
    Exeter
    Gloucester
    Hereford
    Kingston upon Hull
    Lancaster
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Lichfield
    Lincoln
    Liverpool
    Manchester
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Norwich
    Nottingham
    Oxford
    Peterborough
    Plymouth
    Portsmouth
    Preston
    Ripon
    Salford
    Salisbury (formally known as New Sarum until 2009)
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    St Albans
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Sunderland
    Truro
    Wakefield
    Wells
    Winchester
    Wolverhampton
    Worcester
    York

Yeh, them, that's my choice.
  • Options

t'Twat.
    I watched that 'Threads' promotional film from the 80s the other day Piggy, I thought the South Yorkshire Urban Planners showed some real vision in their proposals to improve Sheffield town centre. Whatever happened to those upgrades, I bet Thatcher pulled the plug on them didn't she, the old northern hating cow?

Did you also watch Ghostbusters and band aid after Threads?