Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the worst city in England?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Back to the Future actually and I had Finders Cripsy Pancakes for me Tea.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    DanDavis said:

Can I put a vote a vote in for Southampton....it really isn't very nice. I think it gets overlooked in its shiteness by being (very) down south.

I know I have a pop at Southampton but compared to Portsmouth it's a Heaven on Earth.

If Middlesbrough is a city (or even if it's not) it is the most ugly depressing place in Britain.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Plymouth all day long. The city with no soul. Bombed to buggery 70 years ago and no-one has done anything to improve it since.
  • Options
    Salford. And I'll chuck in Manchester while I'm at it but it's more about the people rather than the actual infrastructure.
  • Options
    Truro. Dump.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Can I put a vote a vote in for Southampton....it really isn't very nice. I think it gets overlooked in its shiteness by being (very) down south.

I know I have a pop at Southampton but compared to Portsmouth it's a Heaven on Earth.

If Middlesbrough is a city (or even if it's not) it is the most ugly depressing place in Britain.

They were turned down a few years ago when they bid to become a city.
    I agree it is the ugliest place in Britain.
  • Options
    I have lived in Coventry, Birmingham, Oxford, Swansea and Preston and worked in Stoke on Trent. They have all featured in the comments above.
    Oxford is very elegant, with great countryside. Birmingham has so much going on and is a great place to live and Swansea is also in a good location. Preston has a few good parts and nothing particularly unpleasant about it.
    That leaves Coventry and Stoke. Coventry is a concrete dump, even though the cathedral is attractive. Stoke is just an out and out dreadful place with no redeeming features. Wins my vote every time.
  • Options
    csr_cafc said:

Truro. Dump.

I quite like Truro.
  • Options
    Bradford by a mile
  • Options
    London is one of the greatest cities in the world let alone the UK.

The worst is probably Birmingham. Soulless centre with practically nothing to commend it.

In all honesty most other British cities are not great. Centres where you can walk around in 30 minutes.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Dalston--------------------end of the World

Ah you mean Dalston bus garage?

I fell asleep on a night bus from the West End and woke up at 3am at Dalston bus garage.

You're right .... it felt like the end of the world.
  • Options
    Manchester. Grim,grey depressing. Hitler should have done a better job in 1940. No amount of money and poxy trams won't polish that turd. Godawful weather due to geography and annoying people.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Bld_10a said:

Manchester. Grim,grey depressing. Hitler should have done a better job in 1940. No amount of money and poxy trams won't polish that turd. Godawful weather due to geography and annoying people.

It'd be worse if it had been bombed worse as it managed to avoid the architectural horrors of the 1950-1980 period. Lots of great old buildings with responsibly designed modern builds (see Spinningfields). Half the city is still a construction site but out of all the cities I've been to definitely one of my favourites.

Will agree with the weather and in some cases the people though.
  • Options
    Salisbury. Beautiful setting, people severely insular, in-bred, narrow-minded and messed-up.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Great setting, people as thick as two short planks. Accent unbearable.

Doncaster. Truly dreadful on every level.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dalston--------------------end of the World

Ah you mean Dalston bus garage?

I fell asleep on a night bus from the West End and woke up at 3am at Dalston bus garage.

You're right .... it felt like the end of the world.
    I fell asleep up on a bus last year and ended just outside of Potter's Bar bus garage, when you find yourself outside the M25 you're really at the end of the world :-)
  • Options
    Hull?
  • Options
    Even some of the worse cites have a few redeeming features, I struggle a bit with Walsall though…..maybe just that 4-2 win.
  • Options

csr_cafc said:

Truro. Dump.

I quite like Truro.
    so do I. I can only assume @csr_cafc doesn't get around much.