Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Zonal Marking

I noticed that we were marking zonally at corners v Derby.

It was effective enough on the night but wondered.

1. Did we do this in the other games?

2. Generally is it a good system to use. Strikers don't attack zonally but it does mean the players are focused to attacking the ball rather than concerned with runners or getting into wrestling matches.

Comments

• I didn't realise we are doing this. I'm not convinced at all that it's as effective as Man Marking.
  • It's the future.
  • edited August 2014
    Was very evident side on, from the East Stand. Not ITK but probably BBB's preferred method of defending corners with his continental influence. Certainly stops all the grappling but can give an advantage to a forward with a running leap at the ball compared to a standing jump. Arsenal have zonal marked in the past not all that successfully and got pelters from the pundits when it hasn't worked. Got to say though we looked comfortable with it on Tuesday evening. If it ain't broke at the moment don't fix it :-0
  • I didn't realise we are doing this. I'm not convinced at all that it's as effective as Man Marking.

I noticed it too looked well I thought!
  • I first noticed it against Wigan. Definitely working well
  • Zonal beats Man Marking any day of the week.

With Man Marking you are always a second behind the striker as you're reacting to what they're doing.
  • BP has used it from the start - you can see it in the pre-season cup for RD's clubs if you still have access to the video.
  • All depends on the players you have.

There was a good debate on MNF (Burnley v Chelsea) about Zonal v Man and how everyone will have their own preference and there is no right answer.

All that "zones don't score goals, men do" is a terrible argument though. If the players understand what they're doing and intelligent enough to not switch off or be ball watching then zonal is very effective.

• Interesting, hadn't noticed to be honest, but now it has been mentioned, it's very apparent.

It's a good approach and seems to be working well.
  • For me zonal marking is like an offside trap.
    If you maintain discipline it is better than the orthodox techniques.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014
  • But what if the opposition puts two or three players in one zone? Are the defenders allowed to come out of their zone?
  • But what if the opposition puts two or three players in one zone? Are the defenders allowed to come out of their zone?

Worry about the ball, not the players.
  • Talking of Bikey: Does this mean as a defender you don't get to kick lumps off a smartarse 18 yr old winger who insists on doing stepovers in front of you? Or is it OK if he is still in your "zone"? What do you think of having a "floating" defender with a brief to move between zones to assist in a defensive game?
  • D'oh! Thats 352 isn't it.
  • edited August 2014
    There are areas where the ball drops where defenders can't get to. The communication, trust and understanding has to be spot between the centre backs. Very brave so early in the partnership.
  • With TBH and Bikey attacking the ball it seemed to work well even against Martin and Buxton who were throwing their weight about. Derby for me were the test and they passed.
  • 1. Yes, both at Brentford & against Wigan.

2. Five along the six yard box, Vetokele, Jackson, Tucadean, Bikey & Ben Haim. we haven't looked like conceding a goal. Wigan had three players moving in from the 18 yard line and never got a sniff. The main disadvantage is trying to win headers from a standing start, which hasn't been a problem so far, especially with both GK,s coming off their line to win the ball. It also eliminates defenders getting blocked-off and losing their man.

opposition scouts will have picked it up and future opponents will plan their set plays against it. Let's see how it goes in the next two or three matches.
  • Zonal marking is good in open play, but for defending set peices, you need the right players to do it..............
  • Sponsored links:

• Zonal marking is good in open play, but for defending set peices, you need the right players to do it..............

Exactly what he said, it's about the players you have. Zonal Marking means you have to have players that are willing to go and attack the ball no matter, I believe we do.....Jackson, Bikey, Ben Haim, Ventokele and Cousins are all people I trust to attack the ball when it comes into their zone, obviously there will be people more suited to man to man like Solly and Wiggins but this current team I believe is more suited to Zonal.
  • edited August 2014
    It seemed to me that the last two seasons we had a particular problem defending corners (and free kicks) in that we were hopeless at it.
    Different personnel now of course but I'd say it's worth giving zonal a go. It was noticeable that there was much less of the usual shirt-tugging, obstruction stuff going on prior to the kicks being taken. That allows the players to focus on the ball more I'd have thought.
    Snags - well I suppose you're likely to get the opposition's tallest players seeking out the zone defended by our shortest!
  • I was taught zonal marking at school.

The biggest requirement is discipline. If you are in your zone, and a striker moves out of your zone, you have to "pass" him off to the man in that zone.

It also needs confidence with your team mates, that they will do their job properly.

That's also why BP probably sends Igor back for corners. He's not a big man, but has an outstanding spring from a standing position.
  • Not sure its working that well and seemed to give too much space allowing for one of Derbys goals, and another occassion players seemed confused who should be picking up a runner. Wonder if that happened at Hid today?
  • Academy has been zonal marking for at least 2 seasons
  • edited August 2014
    Zonal marking is generally a set piece thing. It won't be the cause of any of the goals we have conceded yet this season.
  • Arsenal conceded one of the least amount of goals from set pieces last season I'm sure, its just pundits pick up when zonal marking concedes but not most corner goals where it is from someone losing his man.
  • You can only zonal mark with confidence and confident players the minute you have a crisis of confidence within that group zonal marking will not work and Bob will need to be very observant in training and in matches, and pull players out that are dropping off from.the level required

It may be why morrison hasn't appeared
  • razil said:

Not sure its working that well and seemed to give too much space allowing for one of Derbys goals, and another occassion players seemed confused who should be picking up a runner. Wonder if that happened at Hid today?

What ? As neither of Derby's goals were from set pieces, I don't know what you are talking about.
  • edited August 2014
    Didn't realise it (zm) was only set plays, my bad. Tho wiki doesn't support that definition, seemed to be a communication issue possibly or giving too much time on the ball/space