Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zonal Marking

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    razil said:

Didn't realise it (zm) was only set plays, my bad. Tho wiki doesn't support that definition, seemed to be a communication issue possibly or giving too much time on the ball/space

That wiki article is bizarre. Never heard of such strict zonal marking from open play, to some extent you would pick up the players that come into your zone but that's just part of using a formation... ie you don't often see strikers at left back just because the centre back ended up on the right wing. Football is a fluid game and so from that perspective, 'zonal marking' is common.

When discussing zonal marking, most tactics bods would understand it to be a strategy for defending corners and free kicks.
  • Options
    Possibly our undoing today as Dunk is a very tall player and good header of the ball, he didn't jump from a standing position and his run,leap and thus added momentum probably helped. To allow him to do it twice was galling but an excellent performance and point away from home. BP had a message on the pitch at the end of the game for Henderson not sure what that was about!
  • Options
    Hopefully about how poorly he commands his area. I also saw a few players signal to him to talk more. That said a top class save just after we went ahead.
  • Options
    We defended those set pieces like a blimmin Pardew side, can't get more damning than that. International break...needs sorting out, we need to go over it again and again. there was also a similarity between Wigan's goal at the Valley and the Huddersfield goal which ought to be reviewed.
    I reckon any goal scored against us ought to be a worldy or we should blame ourselves...apart from Colchester we have not kept a clean sheet yet, one of the reasons why I personally think we are still a work in progress.
  • Options
    The problem for their late equaliser yesterday wasn't zonal marking, it was the bloke on the back stick (Fox?) who didn't push up with the rest of the defence and therefore played Dunk onside.