Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Look England Squad...

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Vardy is 28 years old, 3 goals in 33 games this season. What's the point?

With Berahino/Ings/Kane/Bamford in the Under 21 squad I guess Hodgson is out of options.

Defoe has probably done more to deserve a call-up than Vardy though. Or Crouch.

Also 28 year old Heaton instead of Fraser Forster who is younger and much much better?
  • Options
    Jamie Vardy is a decent player, but surely not England quality. He has only scored 4 goals this season. Would have gone for Defoe myself.

I know many people are happy we have got away from the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry etc but that squad just screams "average".
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Jamie Vardy is a decent player, but surely not England quality. He has only scored 4 goals this season. Would have gone for Defoe myself.

I know many people are happy we have got away from the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry etc but that squad just screams "average".

The squad definitely does, but a fit starting line-up is good i think.
  • Options

With Berahino/Ings/Kane/Bamford in the Under 21 squad I guess Hodgson is out of options.

Also 28 year old Heaton instead of Fraser Forster who is younger and much much better?

Are you being serious?

Vardy is in there as he has had a great end to the season, 3 goals yes but 10 assists aswell.

Defoe has been crap since coming back to the premiership and Crouch doesn't even start for Stoke.

Heaton is in ahead of Forster because he is injured.
  • Options
    the lack of depth of England players is shocking.....2 of those keepers have been relegated

Jamie Vardy !!!!!!, runs around a lot basically
  • Options

Are you being serious?

Vardy is in there as he has had a great end to the season, 3 goals yes but 10 assists aswell.

Defoe has been crap since coming back to the premiership and Crouch doesn't even start for Stoke.

Id rather take Ashley Young as another midfielder than Vardy.
  • Options
    So underwhelming, but as others have mentioned it's due to the U21's.

Why do players like Wilshire still make it? Not played at all due to injury, and straight in, Personally I think he's very overrated, same with Andros Townsend.
  • Options
    Rather have Deeney than Vardy
  • Options
    Rest of the world beware England now have Jamie Vardy in their squad
  • Options
    Oh look it's squad announcement time AKA moaning time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015

Are you being serious?

Defoe has scored more goals than Vardy in half a season after a good season in the MLS. His performance yesterday against Arsenal was great as well.

The problem is throwing players in at the age of 28/29 with zero International experience when what we should be doing is building young players for the future and having them train alongside experienced pros.

Heaton and Vardy add nothing to the team, they won't play and they're basically there for the training. Why not give the place to Defoe or Ben Foster to help the younger players instead?

We're going to win the games regardless in our group. May as well prepare for the main tournament, rather than throw fringe form players into the squad to take up the space of a better player.

Seeing as Walcott can easily play up front, I'd have Young/Dyer/Downing instead that are all much better than Vardy.
  • Options
    Kieron Dyer?!
  • Options

Are you being serious?

Defoe has scored more goals than Vardy in half a season after a good season in the MLS. His performance yesterday against Arsenal was great as well.

The problem is throwing players in at the age of 28/29 with zero International experience when what we should be doing is building young players for the future and having them train alongside experienced pros.

Heaton and Vardy add nothing to the team, they won't play and they're basically there for the training. Why not give the place to Defoe or Ben Foster to help the younger players instead?

We're going to win the games regardless in our group. May as well prepare for the main tournament, rather than throw fringe form players into the squad to take up the space of a better player.

Seeing as Walcott can easily play up front, I'd have Young/Dyer/Downing instead that are all much better than Vardy.
    Nathan Dyer? The uncapped 27 year old?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Are you being serious?

Had a few good seasons in the Premier League, think he's earned it.

Vardy has had about 3 months of decent form. That's the difference.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Are you being serious?

You're contradicting yourself there mate.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Are you being serious?

You're contradicting yourself there mate.
    I've already said due to the Under-21 tournament coming up there isn't a lot of options. Just think that Dyer/Downing and Young are much better players than Vardy.
  • Options
    I thought Barkley still qualified for the u21s - surprised he's not in that squad.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with Vardy. He has been playing well the last few months and always runs his nuts off. He's effectively 8th or 9th choice striker so what's the big deal?

Wilshere, Walcott and Gibbss are lucky to have been included though. Overall, does it matter? Everyone loves moaning about Roy's squads but you can't argue with the results. Just let him get on with it.
  • Options
    you've got options from midfield who can play further forward if needed..Sterling, Walcott so no big deal.

Vardy won't play.
  • Options
    with regards to Vardy, surely being in form at the moment is more important that if he'd banged in 17 leading up to xmas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jamie pissing Vardy?? He has more yellows than goals this season. And he looks like a rat.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

He's effectively 8th or 9th choice striker so what's the big deal?

Think you've answered your own question there, mate...
  • Options
    cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

My point is, long term he's very unlikely to feature, he's unlikely to even feature in much of either of these games. If 3 strikers who would be ahead of him are playing for the U21s then there's not really any problem with him being in there.
  • Options
    And since then? Or I suppose we'll overlook that given that he has done quite well and focus on the cluster fuck of a world cup where it was always going to be the case given the lead up to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

My point is, long term he's very unlikely to feature, he's unlikely to even feature in much of either of these games. If 3 strikers who would be ahead of him are playing for the U21s then there's not really any problem with him being in there.
    Which is why someone like Ashley Young, arguably United's best player the last 3 months, should be in there.

Let there be more competition amongst midfielders that have a chance of playing rather than forwards that aren't.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

Which is why someone like Ashley Young, arguably United's best player the last 3 months, should be in there.

Let there be more competition amongst midfielders that have a chance of playing rather than forwards that aren't.
    Agreed, Young has been brilliant recently, I'm surprised he hadn't had a bigger campaign from the media to get him in the squad.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

And since then? Or I suppose we'll overlook that given that he has done quite well and focus on the cluster fuck of a world cup where it was always going to be the case given the lead up to it.

Yeah, he's done fine since then, rolling over San Marino, Estonia and Lithuania, but when it mattered at the World Cup he knobbed it right up. I don't dislike Roy but saying you can't argue with his results after that pitiful World Cup performance is just wrong
  • Options
    Young not selected because of injury
  • Options
    New inclusions show we have dropped even further.

These would be 'B' squad players in the past, never International standard.